Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Denis Dyack talks about Too human!!
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
Denis Dyack talks about Too human!! - Jun 01, 2006 07:15
UP: Overall, how happy were you with Too Human' s showing at E3?

Denis Dyack: It' s a mixed bag really. On one hand, we think we successfully highlighted how fun the game is to play, its pick up and playability. We showed off the cool combat elements and gave people a sneak peak into the overall direction we' re going with the game. We, of course, enjoyed the positive feedback we received on the game coming out of the show.

However, on the other hand, it might have been too early to show it off, especially on the show floor. Although we have said all along that the demo we showed was not a final representation of Too Human, we still received and have seen a number of comments regarding the framerate and that we did not show enough outside the combat elements.

1UP: What part of the game did you hear the most positive feedback about?

DD: The gameplay. Those who played the game said it was really fun and felt they could pick up the controller and play it almost immediately. That is something that is very important to us.

1UP: The element of the demo that surprised us the most was the framerate, which was significantly choppier than what we saw of the game when we visited Silicon Knights back in February. What changed since then?

DD: Several things actually. Epic has added significant technology to the Unreal Engine 3 as they try to adapt it to the 360 hardware, and we have as well. Unfortunately, there was not time to fully optimize the newest adaptations before E3. You guys saw it running in a better framerate when you visited Silicon Knights. We are confident that we will get the framerate back and well beyond the framerates that you first saw.

1UP: We' ve heard some players comment that if the framerate runs slowly now in the single-player game, it seems like it will be difficult to smooth things out for four players going at it simultaneously by November. Any concerns in that area?

DD: No, when the game is finished, the framerate will not be a problem for multiplayer.

1UP: Can you make a guarantee about what the framerate will be in the final version of the game? Will it never drop below 30 frames per second?

DD: I can make the guarantee that the game will be good and will not be affected by poor framerate when it is completed. We will be at 30 [frames per second] with much more going on than we have right now.

1UP: Does what you just said also hold true for when playing four-player co-op?

DD: Yes, absolutely.

1UP: Any regrets about showing the game at this early stage?

DD: Yes, some. However, some good lessons were learned from it as well. In the end, I do not think this particular E3 showing will mean much for Too Human. In the end, only the final game will matter.

1UP: Any final words about the differences players can expect between the version shown at E3 and the final game?

DD: Everyone should put E3 into perspective for what it is...publishers and developers showing unfinished games to the media in advance of completion. This quote comes to mind when thinking about E3:

" I thought maybe my opinion of the game would change upon actually playing it, which [it] did... However, playing the game only reinforced my negative reaction to this really ordinary experience. Not only is the control scheme awkward, but the split-screen mode looks like a Nintendo 64 game. The framerate routinely froze during the action, and it sputtered along the rest of the time. I also wondered how it would look on a normal TV. The high-definition, widescreen setup used at E3 worked well, but how many gamers out there own a widescreen TV?... Kick ass? I just don' t see it.
The only difference between Halo and other first-person shooters lies in the graphics design and plot. The hype surrounding this game is totally unfounded"

ps! that guy who trashed Halo,he got owned?
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 31 May 06 23:19:18 >
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Denis Dyack talks about Too human!! - Jun 02, 2006 21:15
Well, you know people don' t like to " wait and see" . They LOVE to formulate opinions based on unfinished code, screenshots, rumors, or whatever! I mean, I observe these things, and I do get positive and negative feelings toward stuff, but I always like to withhold judgement until I can actually sit down with a game (unless it' s by Team Ninja! Then it' s GREAT automatically!)
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Denis Dyack talks about Too human!! - Jun 03, 2006 05:24
Denis Dyack... I LOVE that name!!!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages