Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What makes people enjoy one title over the over - even if both titles have similiar quality?
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
What makes people enjoy one title over the over - even if both titles have similiar quali - Jan 10, 2006 05:37
What makes people enjoy one title over the over - even if both titles have similiar quality?

In other words how do you develop preferences?
There are people on this forum like on any other who seem like they have played games for a long time and had many platforms - you can see that by the way they express their opinions.
And then there are those who clearly seem to be gamers since 2000 , some since ' 95 and some since half the current cycle and so on.
So the question is:

Does it depend on how much you' ve seen or played before?

I bet you can rimember some old comedy that you laughed at and now it just looks stupid.
Why?
Because you' ve seen more sophisticated or more crazy and funny ones by now.

But that doesn' t explain why, for instance some people prefer Outrun 2 than Burnout 3 (just an example) .
There are both experienced gamers who would prefer O2 and experienced gamers who think B3 is better.
I wonder is it possible that it doesn' t matter how much you' ve played games before and those preferences come from somewhere else?

It does ofcourse matter how much gaming experience you' ve had but it still makes you want one fantastic game over the other.
Gamers who play games since almost day one , are less forgiving (bugs , frustrating moments and such) I think and they don' t get into hype as much as the rest.
They' ve seen overhyped games over the years and they just know how the industry works.
They' ve seen a few " NEXT GENERATIONS" and they pretty much know what to expect from hardware companies like Sony , Nintendo and now Microsoft.

I think that every single one of us cares for different aspects of games - I' m for instance looking at gameplay in say 75% then Sound 10% and Graphics 15% (it' s not exactly like that but you get the idea)
That percentage is different for every one I think.

I love to see a gorgeous game but I wouldn' t finish it without really good gameplay (at least 8/10 with that level of graphics).
Game that has 8/10 gameplay with poor graphics might as well be ignored by me, but
9/10 gameplay is enough for me to finish a game with mediocre looks and 10/10 gameplay means I don' t care for graphics at all
- that' s why I still love to play 2D Mario games ( but they do look nice after all so it' s not the best example).
That said I hate games that are bugged and not polished so when I say poor graphics I mean just crappy looks but not imperfections like lame objects interaction , bugs and shit.
Still 10/10 gameplay can make me tolerate much more than normally (like terrible framerate issue on the first level of Perfect Dark for N64 - I still rate that game 10/10 overall since both gameplay and graphics + sound were pure glory)

It could' ve been two posts acutually but...

What makes you choose one good game over the other?

Is it that different Gameplay/Graphics/Sound/Presentation percentage?

How would you rate your personal Gameplay/Graphics/Sound/Presentation ratio and how long have you been a gamer?
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 10 Jan 06 13:42:04 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message