RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 03, 2004 14:19
come to america.....
come to america.....
come to america.....

Beef Shala
  • Total Posts : 89
  • Reward points : 0
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 03, 2004 14:31
It probably won' t. The only type of games that Sega is serious about online in America are the ESPN Videogames.

They continuously bring out Phantasy Star Online out for the Game Cube that has an online user base of like 12. I really can' t think of other genres that they bring online. I may be mistaken, please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Shenmue Online sounds like a great concept though. The Matrix Online sounds great too. I just have doubts that we will see them on any console stateside or in the UK.
Gamer Tag: Beef Shala

lotusson
  • Total Posts : 1212
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 03, 2004 14:58

It probably won' t. The only type of games that Sega is serious about online in America are the ESPN Videogames.

They continuously bring out Phantasy Star Online out for the Game Cube that has an online user base of like 12. I really can' t think of other genres that they bring online. I may be mistaken, please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Phantasy Star Online is also available for the X-Box. And lets not forget their numerous Dreamcast online titles. Also, with Sammy basically forcing Sega to compete more on a global market, there is a small chance this game might make it to America.

If anything kills this game coming to America it would be having to get it translated.

The Matrix Online sounds great too. I just have doubts that we will see them on any console stateside or in the UK.

Matrix Online is being developed in America and is only published by Sega.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 03, 2004 15:35
First they ruin Phantasy Star and now they want to ruin Shenmue. The only positive to this is that it might get more people interested in Shenmue, and with that intrest Sega might go ahead and allow Yu to make Shenmue 3. I' m not getting my hopes up.

I can' t wait until the AfterBurner mmorpg.

HydroGen
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 03, 2004 16:38
I really hope this comes to the UK and Shenmue 3 is announced at the TGS. I dont like the idea of fighters on a keyboard.

HydroGen
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 03, 2004 16:54
This is one of the official sites:

http://shenmue.t2cn.com/

There is some video there. It seems to be taking forever to get but i am previewing it. Not sure if its from Shenmue 2 or this.

Beef Shala
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 03, 2004 20:20
Shenmue 3 needs to be released. SEGA can' t get us all into the story and then leave us high and dry without completing it. Even if they just make an anime or CG movie to finish the narrative, let us know how it finishes.

HydroGen
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 04, 2004 00:32
This is one of the official sites and has pics plus other stuff.

http://shenmue.joycity.com/main.asp

Link to the pics:

http://shenmue.joycity.com/joy_3.asp

I had to view the site in a higher resolution for it all to appear.
< Message edited by HydroGen -- 8/4/2004 2:31:39 AM >

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 04, 2004 00:37

I can' t wait until the AfterBurner mmorpg.

I would stalk Suzuki-san until he fixed it!!! Return Afterburner to its glory.

whatabout_paul
  • Total Posts : 1227
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 04, 2004 14:45
Ahhh, Shenmue. It was a great game. Though i have no idea how on earth a MMORPG would work. Eh, i don' t get who you' d play as for a start, and why everybody would be getting in on the story. It makes no sense.

Beef Shala
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 04, 2004 15:34
^ That' s a good point. I think that we were all so excited about a new Shenmue game coming out that we didn' t even think about the particulars.

I was thinking that maybe Ryu would be an NPC and our actions affect his life. Like we are his co-worker, or he shops in our store. We would be interacting with his story, but not actually controlling him. I am not sure how interesting that would be to not be the main character in the story, but that is the only way I could make sense of a Shenmue MMORPG.

lotusson
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 04, 2004 16:21
I don' t think Ryu will be a big part of the game at all (assuming you even see him). I bet Shenmue Online will be the type of rpg where you basically go around living your life, doing various side quests, and hooking up with other players online.

Beef Shala
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 04, 2004 18:41
From our speculation, it would seem that Ryu won' t be a big part of the game. But what is Shenmue without Ryu. Both Shenmue 1 and 2, immerse gamers into Ryu' s life and his story. A game that minimizes or elimates our contact with him would make me feel like something was missing.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 04, 2004 19:36
Well it' s set in Ryo' s 1980' s world. So maybe everyone will hang at the arcade and have tournaments in Space Harrier, Hang On, Out Run, After Burner, and of course Burger Time!

yoshimitsu15
  • Total Posts : 1038
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 04, 2004 20:51
Hmmm...isn' t MMORPG' s more popular in the states than in the east? Oh well...this announcement just reminds me that I' ve got to finish Shenmue 2.

lotusson
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 05, 2004 04:00

From our speculation, it would seem that Ryu won' t be a big part of the game. But what is Shenmue without Ryu. Both Shenmue 1 and 2, immerse gamers into Ryu' s life and his story. A game that minimizes or elimates our contact with him would make me feel like something was missing.

But MMORPG' s are not about the life of a single PC. So building an MMORPG around a single PC (who isn' t a main villain) would be nearly impossible without heavily limiting the gameplay and RPG aspects.

whatabout_paul
  • Total Posts : 1227
RE: New Shenmue Announced - Aug 05, 2004 12:36
Pictures, including some characters of old!

http://spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=7276

Joy being held hostage by Lan Di! Plus note the army of people standing behind Ryo ready to take on Lan Di and his army of suits...

Interesting stuff right there. Plus the graphics reek of awesomeness.