Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PC' s: best games machine on the planet
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 69
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 05, 2007 18:46
Consoles = Simplicity
PC' s = Microsoft (quite the opposite of simplicity)
Nuff said!
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 05, 2007 19:54
Er don' t M$ mke a console?

Talking of Simplicity the Wii is so easy to setup on a wireless network.
ginjirou

RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 05, 2007 20:34

Er don' t M$ mke a console?

They do? Oh boy is my face red or what!
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 02:30

It' s a fact that the PC gaming market embraces more unique ideas due to its open nature for development. You can say that the PC doesn' t have a game like FFX, and while it' s not really true, what really makes it irrelevant is the fact that FFX is a dime a dozen game on the consoles, whereas a game like take Command: Second Manassas is a game that is unlike any other save for Sid Meier' s Civil War series and that' s anywhere including the PC.

A game like Trackmania is unlike anything else, yet Dirt is just another in a long line of offroad racing titles. They are different, stand on their own feet, but they aren' t intellectually different in a way that Trackmania is.

So PC is better because it only has 1 good game of those genres?

Sigh, PC fanboys are so illogical.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 03:00
I think his point was that some games are genre breaking. You get them on both platforms, but since noone owns the PC brand, developers tend to be able to take more risks.

But like I say, sometimes you just want polished tried and true versions of the same games you love to play. Next-gen Daytona USA for example would indeed be awesome! A remake of Papy' s NASCAR series on the other hand probably wouldnt be as popular.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 04:43
Forgive the random responses, it' s what I get for jumping in 3 pages late!

Yeah, and these things also have crappy cinema players.

If you care about above average picture & sound then you' re not using a TV or your PC for movies.

Modding has proven to be better than anybody imagined, and that' s still [i]not possible on any console.

Betcha' 20 bucks via-paypal that I' ve played modded versions of Halo 2. I love modding, it absolutely rocks, but it' s not exclusively for PC games.

The computer is a gateway to a larger world than video games, and the potential for a video game on a computer is far higher than it is on consoles.

Unless it' s an amazing game, but isn' t mainstream and totally tanks, never to see a sequel or followup. It happens waaaay too often in the PC world, even you will admit that.

PC:
Sam and Max Episode 2: 80%
Silverfall: 62%
C&C 3: 87%
Stalker: 82%
Genesis Rising: 54%
Silent Hunter: 79%
Frontline: 61%
Runaway 2: 71%
Trackmania United: 83%
Battlefield expansion: 76%
The Sacred Rings: 52%
Tortuga Tow Treasures: 47%
Titan Quest expansion: 79%
Sims 2 Seasons: 79%
Sam and Max 4: 81%
MaelStrom: 57%
Supreme Commander: 87%
War Front: Turning Point: 73%
ArmA: Allied Assault: 78%
Galactive Civilizations 2: 91%
So out of 20 games, 7 get the equivalent of a B- or better? Therein lies the problem with PC gaming, while you get the creme-de-la-creme in visuals & overall performance, you' re flooded with titles that have little to no quality control in place.

Also, Sam & Max isn' t a PC exclusive anymore. It' s hitting consoles.

Well, again, I beg to differ. As a college student I run into many reasons why I would need a high end computer. The above reasons still apply. If I want to download music, create a flash animation, attach it to a powerpoint, and act as a game host server, I' m going to need some serious muscle.
And this proves to me that PC' s are the best games machines on the planet? Debating is fine, but lets stay on topic with it.

As a side note to whoever started this thread. Thanks. This is turning out to be one of the best (read as " only" ) intelligent debates on the forums in quite some time.
DontPeeOnBilly

• Total Posts : 216
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 06:35

So PC is better because it only has 1 good game of those genres?

Sigh, PC fanboys are so illogical.

No, the point was that the PC does have games like that, whereas the console tends to have less games that are completely different from the pack. The open nature of PC development makes this a virtual guarantee.

Please don' t have recourse with me in the future, I can tell you' re way too insufficient for dialogue.
DontPeeOnBilly

RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 06:38

That' s his problem. 6600GT' s were the Mid-Low range of cards back when they were released. If you' re going to do SLI, you never ever use two budget cards, because they simply don' t last. SLI is only something you do when you have money to burn on the best of the best. If he had bought two 6800 Ultra' s in SLI, he' d be faring much much better today. Heck, he would have been much better off doing a single 6800GT than two 6600GT' s.

My 04 system, which has an Athlon 64 3000+, 1.5GB RAM and a single 6800GT can still run nearly all games at high settings and decent framerates. If your friend upgraded his graphics card now to something mid ranged, he' d be able to keep that PC for another year+ no problems.

Believe me when I say this. If you' re smart and buy the right components at the right prices, you' ll be able to keep your PC running well for 2-3 years no problems. If you don' t put a bit of thought into your PC, it won' t last half that time.

Yep, it' s up to the PC user to make sure his rig can last. If built correctly, then it' s easy to survive several years without any updating. I' m not very knowledgeable about the PC, but I do know that the idea of, " constantly buying the newest high end hardware" is utterly false. It doesn' t hold up when put into action. It' s a lie that console fanboys have been made to believe.
DontPeeOnBilly

RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 06:52

If you care about above average picture & sound then you' re not using a TV or your PC for movies. ]

Well, no, several people use their PCs for high end video playback.

Betcha' 20 bucks via-paypal that I' ve played modded versions of Halo 2. I love modding, it absolutely rocks, but it' s not exclusively for PC games.

Misleading statement. While Halo has had the benefit of an extra weapon or two. None of this was possible without a PC. Furthermore, while console games even have map making capabilities, they do not have the benefit of open source. There will never be a CS possible for the consoles in this current state. PC modding is bigger, more complex, and has more than anything the console world could offer at this moment in time.

You can' t compare PC modding to Console modding. PC' s abilities make whatever console modifications completely irrelevant in the comparison. It' s a fly to a giant.

Unless it' s an amazing game, but isn' t mainstream and totally tanks, never to see a sequel or followup. It happens waaaay too often in the PC world, even you will admit that.

Great games have tanked in the past, but more have succeeded. The PC world has a huge list of failed classics, successful classics, and classics that are hard to find but still available. There' s simply more of everything on the PC, which is why there are more good and original games.

So out of 20 games, 7 get the equivalent of a B- or better? Therein lies the problem with PC gaming, while you get the creme-de-la-creme in visuals & overall performance, you' re flooded with titles that have little to no quality control in place.

Red Steel/Gundam/Bomberman X360 are examples of quality control? The 7 B- titles you refer to are simply indicative of the amount of quality games released. I' ve challenged you to seek out superior console numbers, and you can' t. Therefore, the PC' s superiority in that order remains.

Also, Sam & Max isn' t a PC exclusive anymore. It' s hitting consoles.

That' s what cash cows typically do.

And this proves to me that PC' s are the best games machines on the planet? Debating is fine, but lets stay on topic with it.

It disproves the theory that the PC has no good games, a lack of original games, and other silly theories. I also went about disproving the lie that the PC must be updated every six months to stay with technology.

I don' t care about platform pissing matches, I care about facts. And if anybody leaves this thread thinking any of the aforementioned lies, then they are simply ignoring the facts.
ginjirou

RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 07:09
I must be missing something here.
Compared to consoles the PC is more powerful, can have mods, can do other things than playing videogames, have a more developed online community, and has more " alternative" game ideas.
But despite all that, I enjoy console gaming a hundred times more than PC gaming. Hmm, that' s odd. Perhaps it is, as we always say, a matter of taste.
This discussion, as intelligent as it may be, is completely pointless. Some of us prefers PC gaming, some of us prefer console gaming and some of us must have a little of both worlds.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 5 Apr 07 23:09:49 >
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 07:49
While we have had a relatively mature debate we still haven' t reached a conclusion over which is best, and like most things here we never will as ultimately its horses for courses.

Like ginjirou, I sit in both camps, RTS are far better on PC, but I much prefer FPS on a console (just find controller far easier to use than keyboard/mous).
DontPeeOnBilly

RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 08:14
Reiteration: I was taking it upon myself to notify those who believe in certain lies about PC gaming that they were wrong. This has to do with, " lack of good games available in comparison to consoles," and, " constantly upgrading high end machinery" which were summarily shot down by objective sources of information such as MetaCritic.

I' m not interested in person X' s preference, and their opinion on this thread is not needed as far as my argument is concerned.
alijay034

RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 08:15
So why doesn' t someone create a poll.

2 choices Console as platform of choice or PC.

Simple isn' t it.

BTW Don' t Pee on billy still waiting on your machine spec from 4 years ago that runs Stalker at high settings today.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 08:27
And your arguments were accepted by most. However the original thread was asking whether people thought the PC was the best games machine, and was therefore seeking people' s opinions. So does the PC have more games than any other platform, yes; if you want to keep pace with the latest games will it cost you, yes, but not your life' s savings; but which do I prefer to game on, console beats PC most of the time.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 10:23
Look, i think i understand what Billy is saying.

He is not looking on personal preferences to determining which platform is better, because its obvious already consoles currently would have that title. He is trying to argue purely on the merits of each platform, regardless of preference and price considerations. Considering those factors (games, variety, modding, online, multimedia, applications, upgradability etc) i agree with him on almost all accounts. Look even consoles are trying to add PC functionality (ps3 with linux).

I think that no PC can provide state-of-the-art visuals after 3 years. But in the same vein console graphics wouldn' t even come close either (to PC visuals after 3 years). The idea that PC gamers have to constantly upgrade to continue to have the latest high end graphics (& therefore costing more) and yet consoles gamers don' t upgrade at all is ridiculous. This is mainly because console graphics do not improve at the exponential way PC games do. Also should the PC gamer feel the need to upgrade in 3 years time (as opposed to consoles that upgrade every 4-5 years) then the console would look positively obsolete by the upgraded PC, so even though the exercise is expensive, the PC is already in a different graphical class to the console. Its all a matter of perspective.

BTW This comment is in no way meant to sway personal opinion. If you prefer console/PC gaming thats your decision.
DontPeeOnBilly

RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 10:30

BTW Don' t Pee on billy still waiting on your machine spec from 4 years ago that runs Stalker at high settings today.

It' s a vicious PC paladin. viciouspc.com
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 11:22
They should offer hardware customization for consoles. Not everyone is poor and can only afford just the $400-600 machines. If I had the option to pay $1000 for an addon for a console that let me double the frame rate and quadruple the texture quality of games over the " base" console model, I would buy it.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 6 Apr 07 3:23:15 >
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 12:03
But then they' d be PCs. The whole point of consoles is simplicity, mass markets where everyone can have the same thing. Equality is a beautiful thing.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 16:37
I think the advantage of consoles, from the 70s through the 90s, used to be that they were so much more stable. Games had to be solid out the gate because they had no way to be patched. Now with online functionality console programmers can be just as sloppy as PC programmers.
alijay034

RE: PC' s: best games machine on the planet - Apr 06, 2007 19:55
PC modding isn' t hard at all, you tend to get SDK' s with most games these days, it was harder in the mid to late 90' s granted but once companies realised what was going on they welcomed it with open arms.

Billy you have proved nothing with your megacritic scores, reviews mean jack shit, A crap game can get a high 80' s low 90' s score, if the releases that week or month happen to be on the slow side, or if the reviewer happens to get a nice freebie or 2 from the dev house, reviews are as biased as they come, games sell if they are in a particular genre that you the consumer enjoy.

Like I said at the beginning of this thread. Gamer.TV also say that the Wii is the best console, the same way they said the 360 was and the PS3 was oh and the PSP was and the DS was, I think you get my drift.

There are games that a PC is better at playing at the moment, but once control systems are researched and improved on the consoles then, the PC will not be so superior to the console in that respect, however for sports sims,FPS,driving games,sandbox games, then the PC is no way a better platform, the PC becomes cumbersome with the number of keystrokes required to do a move or a jump. The console is as people have reiterated in this thread, is simple and that what people tend to want these days.
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 69

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message