Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The next generation is here, but which console is the best?
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 67
badboy104

• Total Posts : 19
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 13, 2004 16:11

This debate has been raging for too long and i am going to end it right here right now.

Which console is the best selling console of all time?
Answer: PS2

Which console comes to mind when people think about videogames?

Which console has the best exclusive games?
eg. Jak and Daxter Series, Rachet & Clank Series, Gran Turismo, MGS3, GTA: San Andreas, the list goes on and on and on and on..........

And the winner is................ DRUMROLL PLEASE

Sony' s Playstation 2.

We request that the Nintendo Gamecube and Microsoft XBox go back to where they came from and never return.

Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 13, 2004 16:56
Umm... fanboy? Well, looks like you just lost all forum credibility.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 13, 2004 17:31
badboy: You' re missing out, pal. The only way one can play the best of the best is if you have at least two consoles, nowadays. Having them all is most preferable. It certainly would be easier if all the best games were on one console, but that hasn' t been the case since the Atari 2600...
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 13, 2004 18:35
He might be a fanboy, but some of his statements are true. PS2 is the best selling videogame console. Most people think of Playstation (generic term, not necessarily PS2) when they think of videogames... however a large portion of people also still think " Nintendo" . As for the best exclusives, that is entirely subjective. I would drown myself in Gran Turismo 4 before I' d ever spend time with Jak & Clank & Daxter & Ratchet. GTA is not exclusive, at least not forever. Same goes for Metal Gear Solid. It is a fairly sure bet that MGS3 will show up in some form on the Xbox.

I like all 3 systems, but am getting into the PS2 a little more than I used to since I got the component cables and am going through playing the games that support progressive scan and/or widescreen. Of course the Gamecube and Xbox are getting a lot of playtim now as well. But the Saturn still ownz all.. import Saturn that is.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 13, 2004 19:09
Having sold the most and being mainstream doesn' t make it the best even if they are facts. And I agree those exclusives are completely objective. I personally would say the xbox has the best exclusives, but that isn' t the same for everyone. This whole thread is completely opinion based.
fathoms

RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 13, 2004 19:40
If you want access to all the best, you need all 3. It' s really that simple. If only certain games strike you, than maybe you can get by with one or two...doesn' t mean that what the other consoles have to offer is crap.
music_maniac1965

• Total Posts : 70
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 13, 2004 21:23
badboy104 just proved how little he knows about gaming.

so if every sheep follows one platform then its decleared winner ? hahahahahaha. your ignorance against other consoles just make me laugh !

i own just about every console that is a bit current, and even a evergreen (commodore 64) ! i love gaming, and to me, its not so important what console is more populair.

nintendo 64: the hype before it got released really made me sad after playing on the final product. the colabration (probbably spelled wrong, i am dutch, not english) of nintendo and silicon graphics prommised a console with silocon graphics looks. so after seeing the rather square and triangle world of mario 64 really proved that the hype whas a lot of b*llsh*t. but after that dissapointment i played on, and have a few must haves on this system. like: wave race 64, mario 64, pilotwings 64, mariokart 64, diddy kong racing, goldeneye 64. so all whas not lost.

dreamcast: games like house of the dead 2, crazy taxi, sonic adventure 1 and 2 proved that the dreamcast really can shift 3D graphics at a fast rate. some games (like the ones mentioned, and metropolis street racer for instance) are still great to play today. to bad the costumers lost faith in sega becouse of the megacd, 32x, and the saturn (for me the saturn still rocks, becouse of the first 100% arcade perfect outrun on it). so not much gamers took the dreamcast home for a spin (their loss !!)

playstation 2: it took sony a long time to prove me that the emotion chip really added more power to the ps2. the game that proved me that the ps2 is more than just a psx with dvd player whas gran turismo 3 A-spec. sony had luck with ubersells of the psx, so brand awarenes is really the keyword for ps2. and like sheep, lots of gamers follow blindly.

xbox: at first i did not wanted one, but right after sega released crazy taxi 3 on it, i took one home. and this console may be the least populair of the pic, i love this console a lot. a few things that i love are: no more searching for my gamesave (i have way to menny psx and ps2 savecards where i have to search trough them before i can even play) becouse the harddisk in the box has plenty of gamesave storage. the possibillity to put your own music on it, and play it while you play your game (not every game suports this). if a game is multi platform release (burnout 3 springs to mind, and sonic heroes also) the xbox version is way superior to the ps2 and gamecube versions becouse of the coders are to lazy to finetune the game for ps2 and gamecube. and one HUGE advantage for xbox: WE GET TO PLAY OUTRUN 2 REALLY SOON ! hehehehehe.

and to me, not the amount of consoles desides for me what console is best, it just proves witch console is more populair. but populair and best are far away from each other.

to me, better graphics, and userfrendly storage means better, not becouse it sold the most. so to me (EXITING MUSIC PLAYING) the XBOX wins hands down. and not becouse its such a good looker (the console itself is designed really ugly). but like i said, its tha games and their graphics and gameplay that makes a certain console stand out.
< Message edited by music_maniac1965 -- 9/13/2004 9:24:09 PM >
Regret in 2010

• Total Posts : 106
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 13, 2004 22:42

the best console is the ds period.

u havent even played the thing yet

Which console comes to mind when people think about videogames?

actually, for me, the gc comes to mind because it was the first console i had and it was the one i played the most, so even if the other consoles are better, im always gonna be a little biased towards the gc. thats just how people are.
fathoms

RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 14, 2004 02:51

if a game is multi platform release (burnout 3 springs to mind, and sonic heroes also) the xbox version is way superior to the ps2 and gamecube versions becouse of the coders are to lazy to finetune the game for ps2 and gamecube.

This is not true 100% of the time. Some EA games, for example, are just trashy on the Xbox. You' re MUCH better off playing games like NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 and MoH: Frontline on the PS2. Games that are specifically designed for a particular system are almost always best played on that system, and not all multi-platform games were initially MEANT to be multi-platform.

The differences in multi-platform games across the three major consoles this generation are very, very slim. Very rarely are the differences significant enough to matter.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 14, 2004 02:54

This is not true 100% of the time. Some EA games, for example, are just trashy on the Xbox. You' re MUCH better off playing games like NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 and MoH: Frontline on the PS2. Games that are specifically designed for a particular system are almost always best played on that system, and not all multi-platform games were initially MEANT to be multi-platform.

fathoms is right...most of those multi-platform games are developed to work best on other-than-M$ hardware, thus the XBOX version has not been fine tuned to be its best for the XBOX console.

badboy104

• Total Posts : 19
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 14, 2004 15:45
Just to clarify things I AM NOT A FANBOY.

I do own all 3 consoles and i have played all the best games they have to offer.

I just prefer the PS2 to XBox and Gamecube.
music_maniac1965

RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 14, 2004 17:41
what i dont understand is this: i got a playstation 2, and a xbox (and serveral more, but thats not the point now).

i got the game sonic heroes. on MY playstation 2 the jaggies are quite obvious, and on MY xbox the game looks more smooth. the framerate of my playstation 2 is way inferior than on my xbox. can someone explayn why the playstation 2 versions would be " better" ? couse i dont know it annymore

i' ve got the game need for speed underground as well. and these games looks quite the same exept for that the gameplay is more " spot on" on my xbox than on my playstation 2 version. so in this case the graphics does not seem to differ that much to me.

on burnout 2 its a totally other case. my playstation 2 version looks better than i expected after burnout 1, but on my xbox it looks even more polished. especially the reflections, and the jaggies. but again, it could be that my eyes deceive me .

so please explain why the playstation 2 versions are better becouse i like to know a lot
Reznor

• Total Posts : 123
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 14, 2004 18:29
I don' t think there is a best console it all depends on the software that you can get for them but when i have played the same game on the xbox and the PS2 the xbox version has been better.
fathoms

RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 14, 2004 19:05
music_maniac: You may want to re-read. I don' t think anyone here said that the PS2 versions of multi-platform games are always the best. I just pointed out a few that were clearly better on the PS2, and made the point that games designed specifically for a certain console will almost always look and play better on that console. Games designed to be multi-platform rarely show any differences across all three systems.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 14, 2004 20:13
Another example would be Treasure' s masterpiece of a shooter, Ikaruga.
The game was developed for the NAOMI architecture and was easy enough to convert over to the Dreamcast and retain the same quality.

While the GameCube is more powerful than the Dreamcast, the Dreamcast version of Ikaruga still smokes it technically.. The graphics are noticeably sharper and the sound is clearer on the Dreamcast version. I read a *rumor* somewhere that they (Treasure) said they couldn' t bring it over to the PS2 because they' d have to sacrifice more.
music_maniac1965

RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 16, 2004 17:13

ORIGINAL: Terry Bogard

Another example would be Treasure' s masterpiece of a shooter, Ikaruga.
The game was developed for the NAOMI architecture and was easy enough to convert over to the Dreamcast and retain the same quality.

While the GameCube is more powerful than the Dreamcast, the Dreamcast version of Ikaruga still smokes it technically.. The graphics are noticeably sharper and the sound is clearer on the Dreamcast version. I read a *rumor* somewhere that they (Treasure) said they couldn' t bring it over to the PS2 because they' d have to sacrifice more.

so if i understand correctly, the " ikaruga" game witch is on dreamcast (i own the game and the dreamcast) could be done on a gamecube but with cutbacks, and the playstation 2 version could not be done ? now i' m more confused.

but hey, like reznor said, its all about the software. and all current consoles have great games for them. so what does it matter that console A is better than B ? i have fun with all of them.
Terry Bogard

RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 16, 2004 18:25

so if i understand correctly, the " ikaruga" game witch is on dreamcast (i own the game and the dreamcast) could be done on a gamecube but with cutbacks, and the playstation 2 version could not be done ? now i' m more confused.

Hey I tend to get confused when developers make silly comments such as " so and so game could not be done on so and so console" . I personally think it' s total B.S.
It' s like when it was said that either Sonic Adventure or Shenmue couldn' t be done on the PS2 or some crap like that. I think any game can be done on any console, it just depends on the cutbacks you' re willing to make. Maybe the developers couldn' t get the textures to be as sharp and what not, doesn' t mean the game can' t be done.

As for Ikaruga, I ran both the GameCube and Dreamcast versions side by side on the same TV using a video selector, paused them both at the same exact spots and had a casual gaming friend of mine judge.

Without knowing which game it was or what console the game was on she quickly picked the Dreamcast version without even a moment' s hesitation. It' s just that much sharper looking. The backgrounds are more defined, you can actually make out little details, The GameCube version is blurrier and hard to make out the background details. The sound is also sharper on the Dreamcast version, the percussions were noticeably more punchy and the string sounds were a little clearer.

There' s another arcade shooter called Psyvariar 2 that was released on the Dreamcast. It' s on the Xbox and headed to the PS2.
I have the Dreamcast version but haven' t played the Xbox version yet, but from what I' ve read the Xbox version comes really close to the DC version but still not as good technically.
music_maniac1965

RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 16, 2004 19:58
sounds like there' s more power in the dreamcast as thought.

i still can' t figure out why the dreamcast failed to sell enough to let sega continue making consoles.
fathoms

RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 16, 2004 20:02
Well, wait a second, this is bordering on misleading, Terry.

The Dreamcast, hardware-wise, is great for certain games. Mostly, arcade-style games. But let' s face it- the DC is simply not capable of creating the visuals that you might see in the best looking games of this generation; it just doesn' t have the power. Technically speaking, the DC has a great stock of capability for a certain STYLE of game, but is otherwise extremely limited. All three consoles have long since surpassed the DC in terms of graphics, although the PS2 took about a year to really significantly eclipse it (FF X, MGS 2, GT 3, DMC, etc. all came out in 2001).
Terry Bogard

RE: The next generation is here, but which console is the best? - Sep 16, 2004 20:17

Well, wait a second, this is bordering on misleading, Terry.

The Dreamcast, hardware-wise, is great for certain games. Mostly, arcade-style games. But let' s face it- the DC is simply not capable of creating the visuals that you might see in the best looking games of this generation; it just doesn' t have the power. Technically speaking, the DC has a great stock of capability for a certain STYLE of game, but is otherwise extremely limited. All three consoles have long since surpassed the DC in terms of graphics, although the PS2 took about a year to really significantly eclipse it (FF X, MGS 2, GT 3, DMC, etc. all came out in 2001).

I hope no one mis-took what I said, I wasn' t in any way saying that the Dreamcast was more powerful than the other consoles, I mean we all know it' s underpowered compared to the others BUT I was actually giving an example of a point you made here:

I just pointed out a few that were clearly better on the PS2, and made the point that games designed specifically for a certain console will almost always look and play better on that console.

Which was no doubt the case with Ikaruga. It was designed for the NAOMI hardware which is basically a slightly souped up arcade version of the Dreamcast. And in the end, the Dreamcast version was released first and still looked and sounded better than the later released GameCube version.

I read the same was true of the Dreamcast version of Psyvariar 2 (another shooter) compared to the Xbox version.
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 67

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message