PS3 to cost more in Ireland!

Duffman
  • Total Posts : 1096
  • Reward points : 5600
PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 18, 2007 11:05
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/17/ireland-sees-ps3-price-increase/

If it wasn' t expensive enough! Apparently its because of our high VAT which is 21% but other EU countries such as Denmark and Sweeden have a higher VAT rate of 25% ! Ah but we do have to pay a recycling fee on all electrical goods which is probably adding to the price. Damn Government! I' m definitely not voting for them next election!

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 18, 2007 11:07
Duffman... you guys got B-Owned![:' (]

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 18, 2007 11:51
Wow, just when i thought video games couldnt get anymore expensive. Maybe im gettin old. Damn kids and their crazy contraptions

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 18, 2007 12:00
I have no idea what you just said with the VAT and other such acronyms, but that sucks!

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 18, 2007 19:21
Itll cost more for us than for you Duffman, we dont use Euro so we arent in the same group.

697,76 Euro, thats the danish price!

thats 900,74 $

So PS3 is a very expensive console here!

Jpcellps3
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 19, 2007 00:16
I live in Portugal the VAT (Iva) is 21%.
F....!!

Dagashi
  • Total Posts : 987
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 19, 2007 00:26
Yup, recycling fee' s are a pain. Luckily for me, all I have to pay for is recycling fee' s on monitors/tv' s so far. Computer parts and consoles don' t have any fee' s on em atm. Dono about full computer packages, seeing as I don' t buy them because packaged comps are junk.(excluding the high end gaming PC producers, Alienware, Falcon Northwest etc)

ys
  • Total Posts : 532
  • Reward points : 7470
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 19, 2007 02:21
Living in Europe sucks when it comes to this. We always have to wait long for games/consoles and pay much more on top of it. The Wii was also expensive here compared to Japan and the US. I personally thought that it destroyed the point of being a " budget console" because of the price setting here. It was almost coming close to being double as much as the original price in Japan.

The same for Wii-games. I thought that Nintendo said before that their own games wouldn' t cost more than 50 dollars. Then when I look here, games like Zelda are priced at 60 euro. And this with 1 euro being worth more than 1 dollar.

uumai
  • Total Posts : 1363
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 19, 2007 03:51
Saw this, it' s sad, also witht he uk price of £425 apparently due to uk retailers wanting a bigger cut, to make more money from it.... bastards... Europe in general get so ripped off, given how big a territory it is i' d have though they would show some more respect to us, but hell it IS sony.... because we don' t mind waiting and will buy it with no games if were told to.[:' (]
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 19, 2007 05:53
£425 for the console itself. All launch units will be pre-sold anyway and any sold at retail will be bundles. Even if you can find the damn thing you have cables and obviously games to buy on top of that. But they say it' s twice as powerful as 360 so £425 is nothing and i won' t mind working overtime to pay it off...

Dagashi
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 19, 2007 06:04
Everyone complains about it not having cables, but what do you want them to do?

Some HDTV' s use Component. Some HDTV' s use HDMI. Some people dont even have HDTV' s. So, you want them to ship a $60 HDMI cable to jack the price up more, even though a large group of people can' t use it? Or do you want them to send their component cables, which most people wont use? Or what about people hooking them up to monitors through DVI? Or should they just let you make up your own mind and buy the ones you need..........

I realise the argument is that you shouldn' t have to buy MORE stuff on an already expensive system to get the HD signal that they advertise. But if you think about it rationally, at this time in the HD market, where there are two different formats being used by HDTV' s, its just not logical to send an expensive cord along with the console that a lot of people wont use.

I believe they should just lower the price accordingly to $600usd because they aren' t, and shouldn' t supply HDMI cords.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 19, 2007 06:10
Except 360 comes with a composite/component combo and scart adapter for the fools who want it. So that covers 480i all the way through to 1080p. Sure they don' t need to include HDMI, but they did make a huge deal about it. Having to pay for a cable to allow me to play in HD when Sony has been touting " true HD out of the box" is bullshit.

Dagashi
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 19, 2007 06:16
Yup, they certainly shouldn' t have made the claims that it was true HD " out of the box" because it just isn' t. They should have advertised that it is capable of true HD. It is unwise to include HD cables as there are so many different ways consumers want to connect their systems to their TV' s/Monitors, and I think they were smart not to include any. But they are stupid to make the claims they did, and should lower the price point accordingly.

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 19, 2007 17:43
They shuould just have included both types of cables at no additional cost, it would cost like 1$ for each cable for them to produce or something like that!

uumai
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 19, 2007 19:45
at very lest give us what microsoft gave... your rationale of saying not everyone has a hdtv or different inputs. ms please almost everyone, and only a few people would have to buy a cable compared to everyone. this is just sony wanting to make more money.

360 and ps3 are pushed as hd gaming machines, not sd macines capable of hd. this is why some ms games don' t work all to well with sd, because they are made for hd. so ms rightly so gave a cable that works for HD, but also for those who can' t afford hdtv but want the console.
Sony on the otherhand, think we will push this as a true hd machine, hdmi the works, yet we shall release it with composite cables for SD gaming and make people buy our cables (see here) so they don' t get any issues with faults on their system and we get a hefty chunk of change. It' s a bastard thing to do... Fortunately i have ps2 component cables. :)
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Duffman
  • Total Posts : 1096
  • Reward points : 5600
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 20, 2007 00:34

thats 900,74 $

WOW! That is crazy! Just think of all the booze you could buy with that money.....

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 20, 2007 06:32
30 quid extra is just a pain in the ass, but I guess when your spening 600+ on a system, 30 isnt going to change your mind.

I guess I am the only person here who this actually affects, I do have to pay the 30 euros, and I have pre-ordered the ps3. I don' t care too much, but Since when did 600$ = 600e?? last time i checked the euro was about 1.3 stronger than the dollar. We should be getting the 60gb for about 550 or less. And then add your 30 euro tax.

Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

uumai
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 20, 2007 06:57
i would love to just buy an american ps3, at conversion rates of 1.5ish dollars to the pound, ps3 prem would be quite a steal.... unfortunately when it eventually goes wrong id have a hell of a time replacing it..... :(
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Dagashi
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 20, 2007 18:27
I don' t think you get my point.

I personally don' t want component cables. Nor do most of my friends. I can' t vouch for you or the general public of course. I would much rather a slightly lower price, and the option to choose what connection I want. Most guys I know use DVI or HDMI, not component. So this is how I see it. Sony doesnt provide the cables you need for HD, and they shouldn' t, but charge a tad too much considering it doesnt come with them. Xbox does come with cables that are its only option(as it is not like the ps3 and can' t use both HDMI and component) therefore, they may as well include the only available HD option for the system.

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

They shuould just have included both types of cables at no additional cost, it would cost like 1$ for each cable for them to produce or something like that!

I can' t vouch for production costs, as I really have no clue what it would be on such a mass produced item. However, consider how much they charge for HDMI cables($65 Canadian). I imagine it would raise the ps3 price at least a bit. Like I said, they should just lower it a bit, and give me the option of choosing what I want. In todays market, with multiple video imputs/outputs, its the rational thing to do.

edit: to fix quotes
< Message edited by Avarice -- 20 Jan 07 10:31:14 >

Dagashi
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 20, 2007 18:29

i would love to just buy an american ps3, at conversion rates of 1.5ish dollars to the pound, ps3 prem would be quite a steal.... unfortunately when it eventually goes wrong id have a hell of a time replacing it..... :(

When my brother waited in line for his ps3, the guy in front was from France and buying one himself and his girlfriend was buying another. Just figured I would mention that tidbit of random information.

uumai
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 20, 2007 19:12
Yeah avarice i get what you are saying, thing is i liek everyone i know who will get one will want a hd connection of either component or hdmi. Charge me £399 for the system and i' ll feel less bitter towards sony for it - as i said it doesnt affect me as i have component cables for my ps2 which i can use for ps3.

Just think sony is being a bit like they were with ps2, buy a system and a game oh and dont forget your memory card. or multitap
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Dagashi
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 21, 2007 01:27
Exactly, the price is should be knocked down a bit to compensate for the fact that you can' t hook it up to an HDTV right out of the box.

I also agree that this time around instead of selling peripherals (multi tap, memory cards) they sell the cords to hook it up. Though they screwed up and didn' t have Sony brand HDMI cords when it came out, and still don' t have em in stores it seems.

It' s nice to see that MS didnt go this route with the Xbox 360, these are the kinds of things I would like to see become standard practice with consoles. Nintendo seems as bad as ever, selling extremely expensive Wii-mote and Nunchuck combos, along with extra cords for HD and more expensive memory cards.

[Price Breakdown: Wii console $280, Wii controller $45, Wii Nunchuk $25, Component Cables $40, 1GB SD memory Card $40 = Grand total $430 without a game]
[xbox360: $400 for premium with GRAW and XBL Arcade, Cordless controller $55 = Grand total $455 with a game]

If you actually get the wii set up with all the stuff you need it costs more than a premium Xbox360, at least in Canada.

edit for some poor spelling
< Message edited by Avarice -- 20 Jan 07 17:39:00 >

uumai
RE: PS3 to cost more in Ireland! - Jan 21, 2007 02:28
don' t forget wii sports...

And the ps3 still kicks their asses... and you get what you pay for! ha yeah right... man the biggest thing with the ps3 is lie, sony is being compared visually to x360 and an on-par system more or less. this is sony' s own fault, had it come out when it was originally stated it' s have been fine enough, but to wait an extra year and the steeper price for the same tech is a shame, a pity sony didn' t forsee the delays and decide to get a better video card, or sort out some aspects of the system.

It' s too much to ask i know, but it would have been better for them. I can' t wait for the stigma to wash off from sony.

As for accessories... yeah they such with such expensive machine you expect to get everything. how about a machine with 2 controllers? one (espeically sonys) will inevitably break, and don' t forget at home multiplayer
NiGHTS into Dreamcast