Woman dies for a Wii.

Marink
  • Total Posts : 884
  • Reward points : 0
Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 01:39

A woman drank herself to death during a radio station' s competition to win a Wii by seeing how much contestants could drink before going to the toilet.

However the challenge ended in disaster when 28-year-old Jennifer Strange was killed by " water intoxication" . She was hoping to win a console for her three children.

A work colleague said Ms Strange left her job and went home sick because her head was " hurting real bad" . She was later found dead at her home by her mum.

Link

Damn. What a stupid idea for a contest. I really feel sorry for her kids, whom she was going to give the prize to in the first place.

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 02:02
What a stupid radio show to select such a task for a competition.
Sure, the chances of water intoxication are small but competitions like that one should not include such risks.
I say, sue the radio show.

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 02:13
yeah its really sad, contests should be different, consuption of things never turn out well!

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 03:24
Man that takes the piss.

If you read the story on " The Register" . It actually states that the entrants were informed of the risks and she kept going.

Papado
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 03:25
Seriousely, just sue the motherfucking pants off them!

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 03:31
I doubt if the family can as I dare say some form of waiver would have been signed. I feel for the family, but surely the Wii isn' t that much of a must have console where the woman could have waited a few weeks?

The Radio station maybe fined but legal action would be hard to pursue if a waiver was signed.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 06:49
The people at the radio station are royal idiots.

Merry belated X-mas guys, your mum' s dead! All because we didn' t do our homework when it comes to water consumption. It' s like saying " We' re giving away a Jaguar to the person who can do the most PCP & still say their name!!!"

Ikashiru
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 24890
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 07:25
TBH all this blame culture get' s to me. Sue?! Goddammit!

Doing something incredibly stupid for a short amount of time you' ll get away with it if your lucky.

Yes it was very unfortunate, but everyone knows too much of anything is bad for you right? Lets just call it natural selection? If someone announced a cliff jumping competition would people really take part? Depends on the size of the cliff or how much water I guess.

Plus I' m pretty sure that everyone at the station will be suffering depression and life changing negative events without being slapped with a nice lawsuit to boot.

Oh, but money solves everything doesn' t it!?

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 08:49
Well... did she win?

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 09:19
nope
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Papado
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 10:08
Right, so instead we sould feel bad for the people at the radio station because their negligence killed a woman. Is it so difficult to believe that watter drinking is not as obviously fatal to everyone as cliff jumping? And maybe we should even sue the kids because those snivelling little bastards ever dared cry for their deceased mother. Are you fucking serious, sir?

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 11:42
Life is unbelievably horrible sometimes. I think I' m going to go lay face down on the floor for a good long while.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 12:21

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

nope

Well then who got the Wii?

nekkid_monkey
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Reward points : 1280
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 12:43
Legally, it depends on the wording of the waiver...assuming she signed one. I' m pretty sure she did, contests like this always have a waiver.

Morally I see no fault in what the radio station did. They presented an opportunity and she accepted it. I don' t think they witheld any information from her about the risks, so they didn' t deceive her.

The only ones in this scenario I feel sorry for are the kids. I hope they don' t feel any guilt because mom did something stupid supposedly for them.

ginjirou
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 16, 2007 18:24
If they do something that might be dangerous then they should have some kind of medic there, who observes how much the contestants drink.
And he should tell the contestants what symptoms water intoxication can show and so on.
If I join an open competition held by a commersial radiostation then I would assume that they have taken all safety measures possible.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 16 Jan 07 10:25:41 >

Marink
  • Total Posts : 884
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 17, 2007 00:44
I have noticed how some of you guys are going " they were aware of the risks and consequences" . So why would they even have the contest in the first place then? That' s like hosting an old western shoot-out contest with real guns and saying " yes, we know some of you may die. But we are gonna allow you all to take part anyway. Just for the hell of it" .

If you ask me, I think it is a stupid idea for a contest.

Ikashiru
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 24890
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 17, 2007 03:27
I never said " we should feel bad for people at the radio station" just that in a moment of grief why is it people immediately look to money for solice? Of course it was unfortunate all round and If I knew the person I' d obviously send my concolences. But I didnt change the discussion to one of blame and money. It' s safe to say there was some degree of stupidity by all those involved. I' m sure insurance of the studio would cover compensation regardless. They are hardly going to win a verdict saying the studio was " reckless" etc.. mind you particualrly in the states anything is possible legally..

ginjirou
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 17, 2007 04:23
When I said sue I wasn' t really thinking about the money. I just couldn' t come up with a more suiting action to take against the radiostation, and I feel the radiostation is the biggest reason this happened in the first place.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 17, 2007 07:09
Whats the point in retarded contest' s like these? why cant they do one thats safe, such as a game tournament to decide who gets it?

ginjirou
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 18, 2007 00:48
At least the radio station is now taking some responsibility for what happened:
IGN

Radio Station KDND, 107.9 FM has now fired five members of the Morning Rave show, on which the competition was broadcast, and sacked a further five people.

During the early stages of the contest one host joked about people dying after drinking too much water. One listener called Eva rang in to warn the station that contestants could die due to water intoxication. A host replied: " We' re aware of that" . Another then said: " They signed releases, so we' re not responsible. It' s OK" .

As the competition came to a close Ms Strange complained her head was hurting. " They keep telling me though that it' s the water, that it will tell my head to hurt and then it will make me puke," she said.

Ok, does anyone here think the hosts handled this competition with responsibility?

< Message edited by ginjirou -- 17 Jan 07 16:50:25 >

uumai
  • Total Posts : 1363
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 18, 2007 04:26
No, i couldn' t believe it. I' m glad some people got fired, they sound totally irresponsible with without proper regard for safety.
Its like a bungy jump guy hearing a person saying the strap looks a bit loose, and replying, its fine they signed a release so its not my problem. or something...

Total disregard for safety and care of the contestants. Damn them all to hell.
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Dagashi
  • Total Posts : 987
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 19, 2007 00:35
I wanna hear the P.Diddy and Mace song remixed. The one where he keeps saying " would you die for me?" . But replace " me" , with " wii" . It would be a good song I tell you.

the_shadowwolf
  • Total Posts : 675
  • Reward points : 17635
RE: Woman dies for a Wii. - Jan 23, 2007 02:55

I wanna hear the P.Diddy and Mace song remixed. The one where he keeps saying " would you die for me?" . But replace " me" , with " wii" . It would be a good song I tell you.

yeah it would.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.