Thinking about buying a DS.

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
  • Reward points : 0
Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 05:19
What games are must haves? I just got like $150 is giftcards for Christmas from relatives so I think I' m gonna grab the DS and a game. I get paid this Friday too after just getting a rather large raise so I' ll have a decent amount to spend. Right now I really want the Final Fantasy III remake. I know Castlevania is a must own. Other than that I really never looked into it. I mainly want good RPGs but I' m open to anything.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 05:21
You didn' t already have one?

Rampage99
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 05:22
I' ve never had a DS. Last handheld I had was a Gameboy Advance.

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 05:26
Super Mario 64 DS
New Super Mario Brothers
Metroid Prime Hunters
Sonic Rush
Final Fantasy III
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble
Mega Man ZX

Agent Ghost
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 05:29
When I had a DS I was really surprised at how good Super Mario Bros. was. I don' t even like platformers that much, but this is my favorite 2d mario game.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 05:47
yeah, majik already said it all, but if it was me i would just get Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros.

Rampage99
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 06:04
Hmm... now I' m considering getting a PS2 and the games I missed on that instead... Damn it. It' s a tough choice.

mastachefbkw
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 06:09

Hmm... now I' m considering getting a PS2 and the games I missed on that instead... Damn it. It' s a tough choice.

Why would you do that when 2/3 of those games sequals are coming to 360?

Iad umboros
  • Total Posts : 750
  • Reward points : 9745
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 09:43
As Majik said, new Super Mario bros.

I love Mario Kart as well, mostly because it' s now online. Mario Kart multiplayer was always awesome. NSMB is worth the money for the mini game susing the stylus alone.
***flyingsaucersdisguisedasmushrooms***
***mushroomsinvadingfromouterspace***

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 09:52

Do that.

And you can buy for ex FF12,Rogue galaxy and upcoming God of war 2
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 10:11
can u ad to that gift cerft and buy a psp instead , today it' s a much much better choice than DS specialy if you haven' t owned psone back in the day...

Alecrein
  • Total Posts : 762
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 11, 2007 11:30
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin easily one of my favorite Castlevania' s next to SOTN.
New Super Mario Bros. obviously
Mario Kart DS
Meteos is fun as well, but not a must have.
" What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things."
~ Unknown ~

Rampage99
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 12, 2007 01:41

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

can u ad to that gift cerft and buy a psp instead , today it' s a much much better choice than DS specialy if you haven' t owned psone back in the day...

PSP is dead to me.

Agent Ghost
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 12, 2007 01:43

PSP is dead to me.

I wish I kept my psp for FF Tactics

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 12, 2007 02:57
Get a PS2. The DS is nice, but PS2 has some awesome exclusive titles. Not to mention, DS Lite (the only one worth getting IMO) is more expensive. You can get a $90 PS2 & $60 worth of games.

$60 worth of old PS2 games is hours and hours of gametime. Almost everything from about 2004 back is in the $10-15 dollar range, & there' s alot of them, so that should keep you busy for quite a while.

mastachefbkw
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 12, 2007 03:16

Thats why the DS has sold 20,000,000+ and the psp has sold what?

Rampage99
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 16, 2007 08:32
Well apparently the PS2 no longer exists. I' ve looked everywhere in every store in both the Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville area and nobody carries them. EB and Gamestop have used ones but that' s it. I' m not the type of person that buys used hardware so that' s not an option for me.

I can' t believe that they are completely gone! Is Sony so desperate to sell PS3s that they have pulled all the PS2s off store shelves? I mean the PS3 is EVERYWHERE. I could walk in to any store and get one but I really don' t want to fork over that much money for a system that currently ha a crap line up of games just to play last gen games.

This sickens me. It' s all I wanted for my birthday and Sony has crushed me.

Agent Ghost
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 16, 2007 08:49
The US isn' t cool enough for PS2s so they sent them all here.

canadagamer
  • Total Posts : 965
  • Reward points : 2805
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 16, 2007 08:54
I bought a DS originally for my wife at Christmas, and now I am the one who can' t seem to put it down.

The screen is bright and clear, which I like, and the bottom touch sensitive screen works amazingly well with the games.

I love the DS, and will for sure be getting a lot more games for it now that I' m hooked.

Ikashiru
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 24890
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 16, 2007 09:17
Im in the same boat as canadagamer - bought the girlfriend a coral pink DS (to stop me nabbing it this xmas) and I am allready buying games for it and sneaking the odd hour or so on it.

She loves it, and has never " been a gamer " before. She was totally non-plussed about my psp when I had it, it meant nothing to her. Even teh wii she dismissed as " fun for a little while"

Now I' m considering a lite for my studio desk drawer... not had this much fun since my first gameboy (the original grey brick) which I got at launch! (followed closely by my neo-geo pocket)

Abasoufiane
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 16, 2007 18:17

Thats why the DS has sold 20,000,000+ and the psp has sold what?

the PSP is too late for it to catch up on DS , even if sony is starting to do a great a job, i doubt that PSONE emulation will help well because:

FIRST: Most people are no hackers or use hacks and don' t know shit about homebrews, what Sony offer " officialy" as psone emulation is extremly poor, in fact it' s like it doesn' t exist specialy when you need a ps3

Second: the market share of DS today is much bigger than the PSP, people want to buy what their friends have so they can exchange experience , games, etc... that' s why microsoft said once wh ever reach 10 million mark will win the war, at some extent that' s true ( if the other competitors have only few million solds)...

and Rampage, i don' t think you have the option anymore to buy a (new) psp and use hacks, because those manufactured today are shiped with firmwares that are not hacked YET. it' ll take some time again. (usualy 2 or 3 months to hack each major firmware). i' m not worried to run dry on games for the PSP because i still have to play (metal gear solid ops, ace combat, xenogears, star ocean 2, vagrant sory, final fantasy tactics (psp version), crazy taxi (i wanna play it again) etc )

Rampage99
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 17, 2007 00:02
I already said I don' t plan on buying a PSP. Thanks for the info though...

Marink
  • Total Posts : 884
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 17, 2007 00:50
If you do get a DS, and ever plan to take it online, you should definetely get:

Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruins
Jump Ultimate Stars (import only)
Lost Magic (well, I' ve heard good things about it anyway)
Mario Kart DS
Metroid Prime Hunters
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Starfox Command
Tony Hawks: American Sk8teland

NOTE: I purposely didn' t mention Animal Crossing: Wild World, as that requires the whole stupid Friend Code system in order to visit other peoples' towns. ONLY try it online if you have a LOT of patience, a hell of a lot of Friend Codes (incase not many people are on) and, more importantly, a good USB Connector or whatever you are using. My USB connection is terrible at times.

OR you could wait for:

Final Fantasy 3- A remake of the original, Japanese, Final Fantasy 3 on the Famicom. Strongly recommended for any RPG fan (particularly a Final Fantasy fan). Everyone else, well... just keep reading.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles- If you liked Crystal Chronicles on the ' Cube, this is definetely for you. This time it features an online mode.

Mario VS Donkey Kong 2: March Of The Minis- The sequel to the critically acclaimed GBA Mario VS Donkey Kong. It' s kind of like the original, which was a newer, much nicer looking successor of the game that started it all, Donkey Kong.

If none of those seem like your cup of tea, just say the word.
< Message edited by Marink -- 16 Jan 07 16:50:47 >

Rampage99
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 17, 2007 23:43
Well, I got my hands on a PS2 along with FFXII and God of War. I' ll be picking up the DMC series soon and probably Dragon Quest 8. What other games are absolute must owns for this console?

Marink
  • Total Posts : 884
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 18, 2007 01:01
That has got to be the simplest question ever. You should definetely get Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2. Full stop.

Another fantastic title is Shadow of the Colossus. That game is so good, even my mother got interested in it. She' s never played it though, she only watched me and my brother play it.

I' ve still got to get those titles you mentioned as well. I' m not even going to consider getting a PS3 until I have finished my PS2 collection.

Abasoufiane
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 18, 2007 01:08
Shadow of the colossus
Ico
Final fantasy X (which is better IMO than 12)
resident evil 4
zone of the ender 2
MGS 3 (subsitence)

since many other games are available on xbox, so i mentioned only the exclusive stuff, except re4 because i think you don' t have a game cube

Agent Ghost
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 18, 2007 01:09
I' m considering buying a ps2 just for Collossus and Guitar Hero I and II*.

*I' m sick of waiting for the 360 version.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 18, 2007 04:01
I highly recommend Okage: Shadow King. It' s an older PS2 game, so naturally, it isn' t graphically amazing, but it really is a beautiful looking game in its art direction. Not to mention, you can get it at EB/Gamestop for 4.99.

the_shadowwolf
  • Total Posts : 675
  • Reward points : 17635
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 19, 2007 01:29
MGS3: Substinence
Resident evil 4
FFX

I agree are great games. Get Burnout Revenge, Shin Megami Tensi Series Start out with Nocturne great mature rpg vs Kingdom Hearts. (Don' t get me wrong KH is a great game too)

God of War
Devil May Cry 3 (" Revamped" )
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 20, 2007 06:55
You should know what to get for ps2, Mgs series, Ico/Shadow, Yakuza, God of war 1/2, Okami, Gt [if your into that sort of thing], FF series, Dmc series [especially 3], and the other half a million decent games for the ps2.

I' m considering buying a ps2 just for Collossus and Guitar Hero I and II*.

Finally!

< Message edited by silentbomber -- 19 Jan 07 22:57:44 >
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 22, 2007 07:47
Ace Combat Zero
Canis Canem Edit
Devil May Cry & Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
God of War
Metal Gear Solid 2 & Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Okami
Viewtiful Joe
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Shadow of the Colossus
Killer 7
SOCOM U.S. Navy Seals: Combined Assault
Resident Evil 4
Yakuza
Spartan: Total Warrior
Tekken 5
Silent Hill 2
Ratchet: Deadlocked
Metal Slug 4 & 5
Gradius V
R-Type Final
Jak 3
The King of Fighters 02/03
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Guilty Gear X2
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001
Armored Core: Last Raven
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Duffman
  • Total Posts : 1096
  • Reward points : 5600
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 22, 2007 08:29

other half a million decent games for the ps2.

So therefore there must be 9.5 million shit games....

Agent Ghost
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 22, 2007 08:34

Finally!

What does that mean? I bought a PS2 the first week it was out, I had a ps2 before a Gamecube or Xbox. Infact I was supposed to get a Dreamcast but at the last minute I changed my mind in favor of the ps2. I' d still have a PS2 if it didn' t die on me. At the time I was so pissed at sony for not even acknowledging the problem with the millions of PS2 that were defective that I just picked up a GamCube instead (later an Xbox). The Xbox satisfied me until I bought the 360. The only reason I' m considering buying a ps2 now is because they are so fucking cheap. I think it was the 26th of December (boxing day) that I was at a future shop and I saw a wall of PS2s for like $129. That' s so cheap! Although my latest thought is to save as much money as possible for a SICK PC upgrade this coming March (DX 10+Vista+Agia PhysX card+my computer=ass kicking. So instead of getting a ps2 now I could just pick up a ps3 this summer instead.

Believe it or not I used to be a balanced console gamer that played everything. I didnt buy games but I rented 2-5 games every week for about four different consoles. It' s only since buying the 360 that my tastes have changed drastically. These days the only games I' m really interested in for consoles are online first person shooters and RPGs made by Bethesda,Obsidian or Bioware. I' m rapidly turning into a PC gamer though. Especially once Vista has it' s Live service and I have a DX10 card I will hardly ever use my 360. I used to be the biggest console fanboy, it' s not even funny. These days I truly understand the industry and I think a bit more clearly (not to mention the fact that I can afford my own PC). I really think we' re going to see the rebirth of PC games in 2007-08.

As for the games you mentioned I played most of them.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 22 Jan 07 0:41:37 >

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 22, 2007 09:34

What does that mean?

It means your Paranoid, I was saying finally becuase somebody else deicded to buy Guitar Hero. I seem to be the only one.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Agent Ghost
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 22, 2007 10:38

It means your Paranoid...

I can' t help it, it' s genetic.

the_shadowwolf
  • Total Posts : 675
  • Reward points : 17635
RE: Thinking about buying a DS. - Jan 23, 2007 02:13
Forgot to mention Grand theft Auto San Andreas.
& Guitar Hero

Don' t get Splinter cell if you looking for a Stealth game or shooter, because it is no shooter. Hitman Blood money or MGS Snake Eater.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.