Why Japanese dev should look at western market!

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 11, 2006 13:24
The sales figures of Dead rising is out by Capcom.

Dead Rising (Xbox 360) - 930.000
USA - 560.000 <-----
Europe - 320.000 <-----
Asia - 30.000
Japan - 20.000 <-----

Now before someone write,wtf Dead rising sold 500k on 2 weeks in USA,why is it still at 500k.

Well this numbers are from sept,its now that they gather all information of their sales through up to sept.

Other sales...

Devil Kings 2 (PlayStation 2) - 300.000
Japon - 300.000

Okami (PlayStation 2) - 290.000
USA - 140.000
Japon - 150.000

Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP) - 410.000
USA - 130.000
Europe - 100.000
Japon - 180.000

Prédictions (octobre 06/mars 07)

Lost Planet (Xbox 360)
Japon/USA/Europe - 740.000

Megaman Starforce DS (NDS)
Japon - 600.000

Monster Hunter Portable 2 (PSP)
Japon - 500.000

Gyakutensaiban 4 (NDS)
Japon - 220.000
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 11 Dec 06 5:26:57 >
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 11, 2006 21:56
And your point is what exactly? That anything being developed by Japanese firms should look to other territories to write games? Ok and while your at it why not force everyone the world over to speak Spanish, games dev' s will dev games for the markets they are aiming at, in some cases bringing the folklore of that country or territory into a game. Gaming is another medium of story telling not just creating mindless hack and slash or shoot ' em ups just for the pure hell of it, yes some are but just take a look at the content of the games out there.

QuezcatoL
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 11, 2006 23:15
have i said that?

No,then stfu.

just pointing out that japanese dev can make much more money even on a console like 360,then they would on their ps2

f3hunter
  • Total Posts : 821
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 12, 2006 05:37

just pointing out that japanese dev can make much more money even on a console like 360,then they would on their ps2

They cant tho, are much better and profitable options to choose from.. I

ts the DS where Japanese devs can make MUCH more money off.. Development costs are much lower too, install base is much higher..

Next in line once the install base is bigger will be the Wii.. Again piss cheap to develops for and potentially (this time next year).. shit loads of install base to sell too..

360 is one of the last choices for Japnese devs to make money off.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 12, 2006 06:43

360 is one of the last choices for Japnese devs to make money off.

No, Quez is right in this case. 360 is going to be the market leader or close to it for at least the next couple of years in North America and Europe. Japanese developers can satisfy their domestic audiences while also being successful in western markets.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 13, 2006 10:51

Dead Rising (Xbox 360) - 930.000
USA - 560.000 <-----
Europe - 320.000 <-----
Asia - 30.000
Japan - 20.000 <-----

Ummm... quez, you realize that japan is in asia right?

QuezcatoL
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 13, 2006 13:16

Ummm... quez, you realize that japan is in asia right?

Masta,you missed the point,Capcom is Japanese developers and this is what they sold with their game Dead rising world wide.

You see how much they made on Europe and America?

And this is only from the early sept sales.
What they sold now i don' t know it will be shown next year at sep.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 13 Dec 06 5:17:29 >

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 14, 2006 05:39

Masta

people, just pretend my name is masterchefbkw, not mastachefbkw. The only reason it says masta is because it wouldnt let me have master

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 14, 2006 08:40
Yes that is the way it came across as you gave no explanation to the figures. Try explaining what you are meaning.
< Message edited by alijay034 -- 14 Dec 06 0:45:13 >

Icarus75
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 15, 2006 07:33
quez is right, never thought I' d say that.

If your in this industry to make money you cannot ignore the tastes of the largest videogame market in the world. The big money is in North America and there is no getting around that. We' ve got money and we like to spend it. Canada and the U.S. combine for a population of 330 million and we don' t buy a whole lot of jrpgs. What' s the single most profitable game release of all time? It ain' t developed in Japan and it does cater to a western audience.

Business is business, Capcom has already figured that out and don' t be too suprised when other japanese developers follow suit. Developing a AAA title for 800, 000 PS3s is a pretty risky proposition, pandering exclusively to the relatively miniscule japanese market is begining to aproach fiscal suicidal. PS3 exclusives will continue to go multi platform as developers attempt to recoup their initial investment, MGS4 on 360 may very well happen.

SONY is in very big trouble outside of Japan and that is bad news for all gamers. I cringe at the though of Microsoft monopolizing the industry, as much as I love my 360, a healthy industry is a competitive one.

360 will launch in India soon, the worlds largest democracy with enormous potenial and a rapidly growing middle-class-- population 800 million. If Microsoft does well in India they can laugh off their abissmal japanese sales. Microsoft doesn' t need Japan if it has the rest of the world. The Japanese need sales in the rest of the world to compensate for rising development costs.

I admit, I could go through the rest of my life without playing a Japanese developed game sure i' d miss Ninja Gaiden but Bungie, Bioware, Ubisoft Montreal, Silicon Knights, Bethesda and Epic will keep me busy. Nevermind quality developers in Europe. The arrogance and xenophobia of the Japanese industry will have to stop if they want to remain competitive. Wake up Japan.

f3hunter
  • Total Posts : 821
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 15, 2006 09:17

RE: Why Japanese dev should look at ... (in reply to QuezcatoL)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quez is right, never thought I' d say that.

If your in this industry to make money you cannot ignore the tastes of the largest videogame market in the world. The big money is in North America and there is no getting around that. We' ve got money and we like to spend it. Canada and the U.S. combine for a population of 330 million and we don' t buy a whole lot of jrpgs. What' s the single most profitable game release of all time? It ain' t developed in Japan and it does cater to a western audience.

Business is business, Capcom has already figured that out and don' t be too suprised when other japanese developers follow suit. Developing a AAA title for 800, 000 PS3s is a pretty risky proposition, pandering exclusively to the relatively miniscule japanese market is begining to aproach fiscal suicidal. PS3 exclusives will continue to go multi platform as developers attempt to recoup their initial investment, MGS4 on 360 may very well happen.

SONY is in very big trouble outside of Japan and that is bad news for all gamers. I cringe at the though of Microsoft monopolizing the industry, as much as I love my 360, a healthy industry is a competitive one.

360 will launch in India soon, the worlds largest democracy with enormous potenial and a rapidly growing middle-class-- population 800 million. If Microsoft does well in India they can laugh off their abissmal japanese sales. Microsoft doesn' t need Japan if it has the rest of the world. The Japanese need sales in the rest of the world to compensate for rising development costs.

I admit, I could go through the rest of my life without playing a Japanese developed game sure i' d miss Ninja Gaiden but Bungie, Bioware, Ubisoft Montreal, Silicon Knights, Bethesda and Epic will keep me busy. Nevermind quality developers in Europe. The arrogance and xenophobia of the Japanese industry will have to stop if they want to remain competitive. Wake up Japan.

Erm, is this in the wrong thread??

India??

IF the Janpanese want to become more competitive??

Wake up Japan??

Ninja Gaiden but Bungie, Bioware, Ubisoft Montreal, Silicon Knights, Bethesda and Epic

Oh, it all makes sense, A 360 fan who cant take that the fact that the Japanese cant care less about the 360.

SpaceJase
  • Total Posts : 170
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 16, 2006 11:13

Next in line once the install base is bigger will be the Wii.. Again piss cheap to develops for and potentially (this time next year).. shit loads of install base to sell too..

Apparently Wii games cost about a third of the price to develop compared to a 360/PS3 game so there should be no shortage of devs queing up once the system' s established. It' s just a far less risky a proposition than trying to develop the next Gears of War.

I wouldn' t say there was more money in it tho' , just less risk.

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 16, 2006 17:25
Developing for a Nintendo console is the biggest risk you can take!
If you make a racing game Nintendo does Mario Kart or F-Zero.
If you make a plattformer then Nintendo does Mario.
A fighting game and Nintendo makes Super Smash Bros.
An RPG and Nintendo does Zelda or a Mario RPG.
An FPS and Nintendo does Metroid Prime.

The biggest risk in making a game for a Nintendo console is the competition from Nintendo itself.

Dionysius
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 16, 2006 17:41
Yeah, before it was only Rare that could match them, but now... who is there?

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Why Japanese dev should look at western market! - Dec 16, 2006 17:46

CAPCOM

NAMCO

Yeah, that' s pretty much it.