Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 73 of 73
alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 20:46
Well Quezcatol, I hope you will be posting regular updates as to how it goes? Would be interesting to know if all the hype around H3 is going to be worth it. My apologies for the doubting tone in my comment

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 20:52
l signed up... as for Halo not having a story HA!

Read the books! I' m re-reading them now actually. Chief is my favorite videogame character by far and not because I like the videogames.

alijay034
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 20:54
The thing I find a bit of a downer is that everything is H3 and Halo Wars is not going to get a look in, I am speculating that Halo Wars goes the same way as the movie indefinately postponed.

I love the graphic novel.
< Message edited by alijay034 -- 6 Dec 06 12:55:08 >

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 21:34

ORIGINAL: alijay034

I am speculating that Halo Wars goes the same way as the movie indefinately postponed.

What? Microsoft is having Essabmle Studios due the game. The likelyhood that thuis game will not make it out is next to none.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Dionysius
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 22:26

signed up... as for Halo not having a story HA!

Read the books!

Like I said, haven' t read the books, which many tell me have a good story.

BTW: What are the books about? For some reason I find it hard to imagine the story of a FPS game in written text? Is it an original story, or does it follow the events of Halo and Halo 2? ... Perhaps a prequel?
< Message edited by Dionysius -- 6 Dec 06 14:26:19 >

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 22:42

Cortana had to be based on someone initially.

I dont remember alll of it because i havent read the first book in a while. but i think Cortana was based on Dr. Halsey from The Fall of Reach

Agent Ghost
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 23:01
I really love the books and I think a fourth one is out!

The 1st book describes how the spartan II program started. A bunch of kids who have exceptional genes were chosen and basically abducted to go into this miltary program. John (Master Cheif) at age 6 was six years old at the time was just one of them.

The books begin by forcusing on LT. Keys who was a young officer at the time Who was responsible for the Doctor' s safety and Dr. Halsey (responsible for opperating the Spartan II program). The kids were immediately put through strenuous training. By the age of 14ish the Spartans were elite soldiers (not field tested) and at this time they were given their genetic and physical modifications . Bones were basically made indistructable their reflexes and senses greately enhanced and their strength multiplied buy by 20 fold (with the suit). To give you an idea, the spartans accidentally killed a few trainers during the adjustment periode to their new bodies. Half of the Spartans actually died during this proccess and some ended up with crippling deformities. Interesting stuff...I' m just giving an overview.

Aside form that the book focuses on Dr. Halsey' s perspective whom Cortana is based upon. Cortana is basically an AI that has all of DR. Halsey' s knowledge and likeness. Which explains The Chiefs relationship with Cortana. The books also give LT. Keys perspective, who is the Captain of a ship, and considered one of the best pilots. He' s one of the few captains that can survive in Space against the Covenant.

Speaking of Pilots... the books illustrate many ship battles and reveal that the Covenent have a huge advantage in Space. Which is largely why the humans are getting their asses handed to them in the war. The humans can hold their own on the ground with the Spartans but entire planets are falling due to Covenant dominance in Space.

The second book focuses on the flood...

The tone of the three books is desperation. Throughout the books all the spartans die in missions and the Chief is the only one left. In the last book they come up with a plan to attack the Covenant and that mission leads up to the first game.

I' m just rambling and I' m sure I don' t do the books justice, there is just too much ground to cover. but I highly recommend finding and buying the books if you have any interest in the videogames. For me it enhanced the games very much and really forces you to hate the covenant. I' m hooked on the story now. I need to play Halo 3 to kick their ass.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 6 Dec 06 15:29:44 >

mastachefbkw
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 23:04
wow, im surprised i actually remembered correctly about the book for once

Bishonen
  • Total Posts : 1718
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 23:35
Best Halo trailer ever....

...back story?.... ....cool, because i' m far too lazy to read the books :/

...nice to see that the Brutes have been given an overhaul too... ...they always felt slightly out of place, ' taked-on' , even, in Halo 2...

....but then considering how they are now the main combative focus of the Covenant, Bungie had to try and make them as cool as the Elites...

....i wonder if they' ll have shields now too?
< Message edited by Bishonen -- 6 Dec 06 17:00:45 >
Currently accepting Article & Review requests

Dionysius
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 23:37
It' s always hard to explain something you like in just a few sentences, but I think you did good. It seems (judging from the trailer) that some of what you said might be covered in Halo 3. From what I' ve heard it sounds somewhat like Dark Angel and Soldier with Kurt Russel.

I wonder if the movie will go after the books or the games, or perhaps from both... (is the movie project still on?)

Also, I wonder what Halo Wars might be about.

I' m starting to look forward to Halo 3, even though I don' t want to... I' m afraid I might get hurt again

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 06, 2006 23:38
I hope Chief is the only one with that cool shield...

Can you imagine if you could use that in multiplayer?? You could protect
your team mates, and throw it right in front of someone about to fire a rocket
at you...

The tactics behind the use of that grenade are mind-blowing, I hope Bungie gets
pro-creative on that..
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Bishonen
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 07, 2006 00:25
...hey is that Tartarus in the centre, back from the dead?

.....or is it merely the new form of Brute Captain, complete with the Brute counterpart to the Elite' s Plasma sword?....

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 07, 2006 00:42
No idea,but im pretty sure its just a new captain.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 07, 2006 01:22

quote:

Cortana had to be based on someone initially.

I dont remember alll of it because i havent read the first book in a while. but i think Cortana was based on Dr. Halsey from The Fall of Reach

Brandon, if you would take those books off the shelf enough to keep the dust off of them you would be more sure [:' (]

Yes she is, but Dr. Halsey would be in her 50s/60s by time Halo 3 happens.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 07, 2006 03:08

Strange that he was chosen seeing as it was only US XBL members that would be given this round of beta testing. Europe and the rest have to wait.

Nope, Xboxyde and XCN have a deal with Microsoft for 100 people and Quez ended up being one of them.

Yepp

Alecrein
  • Total Posts : 762
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 07, 2006 03:50

That' s what I wanted to say. Nothing new, nothing that took active brain cells to understand. It was easy to guess what would happen, just like in many Hollywood action flicks... Which I found to be nice,

See now I agree completely with that assessment. Your original posts made it sound like Halo didn' t really have a story and was, more or less, a brainless shooter. I thought you were saying: Gran Turismo (No story), not Need for Speed Underground (Trite story).
" What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things."
~ Unknown ~

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 07, 2006 10:13
Actually i think hasely would be much older, isn' t the cheif around 40? The books give dates, I don' t have them anymore though.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

alijay034
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 07, 2006 17:44
In the graphic novel there is a story called Armour Testing, the female tester is called Maria who is a friend of....Wait for it....MC, around the same age as MC with dark hair, possibly someone MC grew up with, both joined up together?

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 07, 2006 17:56

ORIGINAL: alijay034

possibly someone MC grew up with, both joined up together?

None of the Spartans " joined up" , they were all taken from their homes and replaced with clones, all of which died.

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 07, 2006 18:10
Yes,but at the spart program,MC meet Lynda and Cassandra.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

immortaldanmx
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 08, 2006 01:19

Actually i think hasely would be much older, isn' t the cheif around 40? The books give dates, I don' t have them anymore though.

Yes, but it never tells her exact age in the beginning, but it' s assumed to be in her 20' s at the opening of Fall of Reach. So 50-70, who knows. Plus there is the problem of Cryo Sleep on long trips that may be taking months off of her age.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 08, 2006 03:36
About the youngest most people can become a fully fledged doctor would be around 25.

What is the explanation for the nickname Master Chief? Just because he' s so awesome? Or do all the Spartans get awesome nicknames?

Alecrein
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 08, 2006 03:55

What is the explanation for the nickname Master Chief? Just because he' s so awesome? Or do all the Spartans get awesome nicknames?

" Although his official military designation is Spartan-117, he is most often referred to simply as the " Master Chief" or " Chief" , short for his rate of Master Chief Petty Officer. The assignment of Navy enlisted rates to him and other SPARTAN-IIs resembles the usage of these rates by the United States Navy, a correlation further evidenced by the fact that his unit is attached to the UNSC' s " Naval Special Warfare" division. In this usage, personnel holding rates that would traditionally be associated with purely administrative tasks become equivalent to Army or Marine Non-commissioned officers that have been assigned to lead a Special forces unit, thus limiting their responsibilities to the command of their squad, and at the same time allowing any commissioned officer to assert command over their unit."

-God Bless Wikipedia
" What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things."
~ Unknown ~

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 08, 2006 05:17
Yeah, Master Cheif is his rank. He is the leader of all the spartans.

I thought you said 30-40 for some reason, I agree she would probably be 50-60, possibly older.

I think the girl with MC in the beginning has to be Kelly. I just don' t see any other options.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 08, 2006 07:06
STOP THE PRESS!

So Halo is not just blue and purple blood mixed with the grit of dirt?

Wow.
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

mastachefbkw
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 08, 2006 10:36

About the youngest most people can become a fully fledged doctor would be around 25.
/quote]

its a book based on a game why must you question things?

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 08, 2006 16:48
I' m not questioning things, I was just offering a tasty tidbit of med school knowledge since others were trying to figure out the probable age of a character. I have an ex who has just become a doctor, and am curious to see if she ends up as a hologram.

Alecrein
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 09, 2006 03:30
Gamevideos.com has an awesome dissection of the trailer up now.
~ Unknown ~

Bishonen
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 09, 2006 03:40
...yeah i saw that too man...

....did you notice how they tried to rip off my first post in this thread?... ...those nubs even missed out the dual-welding brute...

alijay034
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 09, 2006 03:42
They seem to know their stuff though

Alecrein
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 09, 2006 06:45

....did you notice how they tried to rip off my first post in this thread?... ...those nubs even missed out the dual-welding brute...

I did notice that :P There were a few details I had read in another location where they dissected the trailer.
~ Unknown ~

immortaldanmx
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 10, 2006 11:13

those nubs even missed out the dual-welding brute

Majik, I' m scared, will you hold me?

Agent Ghost
RE: Halo 3 commercial and Beta registration - Dec 12, 2006 15:53
http://onthexbox.com/news793.aspx

For you none Americans...
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 12 Dec 06 7:54:55 >

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 73 of 73