360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die...

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 04:49

LINK

Out of the three you' d think Wii would be the safest bet. The least likely to suffer some sort of electronic fit, spaz out and die. You' d think...

I' m guessing the scale won' t be anything like 360 and PS3' s faults, but there is tech in there that could be problematic. If it' s a drive fault then it could be due to the fact that they' re using a funky slot-drive that' s been configured to take both DVD' s and Gamecube discs. Or, ...it could be a couple of isolated incidents and mean nothing whatsoever.

Red Steel apparently sucks, Metroid and Mario aren' t arriving until next year and only Twilight Princess is a worthy purchase. Worth buying a console for? No, not when i already have a Gamecube. I might be passing on Wii come launch day.

Alecrein
  • Total Posts : 762
  • Reward points : 0
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 04:52

Worth buying a console for? No, not when i already have a Gamecube. I might be passing on Wii come launch day.

If you hadn' t put in the fact you own a gamecube I would have to doubt your mental abilities :P
" What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things."
~ Unknown ~

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 04:54
I' ve had those messages on my GCN as well. In my case it was probably the discs fault though as they were dirty or something.
Unless you really, really like Zelda then there' s not much reason for buying Wii at launch. I however lend my Gamecube to a friend so I' ll buy the Wii to play Twilight Princess and my old GCN favourites.
I' ll probably pick up Excite Truck and Trauma Center along Zelda.
Oh and some Virtual Console games as well .
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 19 Nov 06 20:55:33 >

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 05:02

If you hadn' t put in the fact you own a gamecube I would have to doubt your mental abilities :P

Thats the part that makes me doubt them

Ill be getting my Wii with Zelda and a HDTV for use with my 360 with my Christmas money.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Dionysius
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 05:09
Twilight Princess is more than enough for the time being, I never purchase more than one game at a time anyway. The only game I bought at 360' s launch was PDZ and I didn' t buy another game until DOA4.

Terrak
  • Total Posts : 783
  • Reward points : 19070
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 06:53
Zelda offers at least 60+ hours of gameplay so for me that justifies the purchase of a Wii and then some. Wii sports and Wii play are good for when friends come over and that much needed break from playing Zelda. My biggest dissapointment, besides still having to wait 2 more weeks is that Red Steel didn' t live up to expectations, with an average score of 65 i believe at gamerankings (thanks for that link Alcrein). I might borrow it someday to see if i like it but those games will be okay for most of the Christmas period. Besides on of my friends apparently knows a guy that works at a place that publishes Activision and Ubisoft games and that he can get free copies of said games. I' ll ask him if he can get me some Wii and 360 games (for my bro in law).

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 06:54

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

Red Steel apparently sucks, Metroid and Mario aren' t arriving until next year and only Twilight Princess is a worthy purchase. Worth buying a console for? No, not when i already have a Gamecube. I might be passing on Wii come launch day.

I think I might pass on Wii come launch day, the line up is pretty crap aside from
Twighlight Princess (Nintendo fans, don' t you dare)... Everytime I look at
Red Steel, I can barely tell the difference sometimes between that and
Golden Eye...

Also the advertisements of people playing must have gone something like this for
the admission phase:

Interviewer: Hey kid in about the 6-14 range... Wanna try something cool?

Kid: Like what Mister?

Interviewer: It' s our new game Red Steel...

Kid: Oh sure! Why not..

Interviewer: We want you to be as excited as possible please.

Few minutes after Red Steel

Interviewer: Thanks a lot kid, you helped us quite a bit..

Kid:..........

Interviewer: Why the long face? Wii just let you play a great game with
" intuitive" controls, which some people say plays better than that Gears of War
game... (Those shall remain nameless)

Kid: I want my 10 bucks back, and the hour of my life you stole...

Interviewer: 10 bucks?? We didn' t take-

Kid: Well it sure as hell felt like you did!! That was a damn waste of my time
I thought it was supposed to feel natural!?

Interviewer: Hey, this is innovation we are giving you!

<Kid raises eyebrow>

Interviewer: Do you just want to take it for free and at least tell your friends?

Kid: No thanks..

Wait... Who was looking forward to Red Steel again??? I know Gaiden Black was...

Anyone else?

< Message edited by Tiz -- 19 Nov 06 22:58:30 >
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 07:00
" Red Steel apparently sucks, Metroid and Mario aren' t arriving until next year and only Twilight Princess is a worthy purchase. Worth buying a console for? No, not when i already have a Gamecube. I might be passing on Wii come launch day."

You didn' t mention Super Smash Bros., whats wrong with you?

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 07:13
I was...

The E3 build looked great but now it looks pathetic. Ubisoft fucked up big time. They should have delayed it and improved the control and visual quality. The game runs on UE2.5 for Christs sake.

I expected more.

Tiz
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 07:36

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

The game runs on UE2.5 for Christs sake.

So does Splinter Cell DA on the 360...

Hang on... Doesn' t it play better on the 360 too???

So... what' s the point of the Wiimote again??

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 07:40
you' re right tiz.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Alecrein
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 08:15
Wow, Tiz I thought you favored Sony, but the past two posts are borderline fanboy.
" What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things."
~ Unknown ~

Terrak
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 09:15
Its a port, not a game built from the ground up to take advantage of the Wiimote - WTF did you expect?

Tiz
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 10:18
I' ve always been vocal about flirting between liking the Wii and utterly despising it.

Its a port, not a game built from the ground up to take advantage of the Wiimote - WTF did you expect?

And down the line, how many games are you going to copy and paste that excuse for?

Red Steel is a game built from the ground up on the Wii (no porting right??)

Yet, according to average consumers that have played it and a lot of people
reviewing it... The gameplay sucks on the Wiimote (for Red Steel of course, let' s
not get ahead of ourselves)... There' s nothing fanboyish about it. Just an opinion
that I have had since I first ever saw the Wii.

Wow, Tiz I thought you favored Sony, but the past two posts are borderline fanboy.

Please point out and explain where the fanboyism is?? I believe the first one was a
joke, and the second one was a fact.

Apart from fact... I don' t see any fanboyism..

This:

This is an open ended question that is open to discussion based on people' s experiences so far of DA on the Wii and the gameplay videos I have seen and the first hand experience I have had with the 360 version of SC:DA...

So it' s open to interpretation and discussion, no fanboyism here. I have
explained my post.

Terrak
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 10:57

ORIGINAL: Tiz

And down the line, how many games are you going to copy and paste that excuse for?

Red Steel is a game built from the ground up on the Wii (no porting right??)

Yes Red steel may be a disappointment, no doubt but you seem to be portraying the idea that the Wii mote enabled games are not as good as games played with normal controllers via one example. The fact of the matter is that this control method is new and there is a way to go before the control is perfected. You' re of the opinion the controls and launch games should have nailed it on day one. This didn' t apparently happen - so what? Now theres no room for improvement (you seem to imply)? Of course there is. Did the 360 or ps3 for that matter, have perfect graphics on launch? No F' in way, but they will over time, just as Wiis controls will improve over time. IT seems that you already dismissed it (the Wiis controls) along time ago (though not surprisingly).

And i will cut and paste this arguement should Developers become lazy and port crappy versions on to the Wii with poorly enabled Wii controls. If said arguement applies then a ' cut & paste' i will go. DOn' t like it? Well thats your problem not mine. When developers properly get a handle of Wii' s control method and properly execute them then we can talk, as for now its still work in progress and with a pretty good average score for most launch titles (especially Zelda) i think that thats a good start.

< Message edited by Terrak -- 20 Nov 06 2:58:34 >

Tiz
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 11:26
Of course I wouldn' t be saying any of this if they had admitted that their
launch games may be a bit sucky...

When all you guys were saying " Red Steel will be the best" and

" Wii controls= Amazing"

Hmm, when NOW you suddenly change your tune, and using " Damage control"
as a defence:

The fact of the matter is that this control method is new and there is a way to go before the control is perfected.

I' ll strike that one and let it be, because I consider you to be one of the smarter
people here on this forum.

When developers properly get a handle of Wii' s control method and properly execute them then we can talk, as for now its still work in progress and with a pretty good average score for most launch titles (especially Zelda) i think that thats a good start.

Zelda has been coming out for almost three years now, I remember talking about
TP coming out a few months after my GCSE' s and how I was going to play it then..

That was about 2-3 years ago, and wow, they finally released and it is now the
most successful Wii launch game... Too darn right it should be, considering how
bloody long it has been delayed for.

I don' t even consider TP to be a Wii game, it will be a Gamecube game to me
always.

Nintendo don' t really have any killer apps for the Wii launch except the Twighlight
Princess, (Waits for someone to give him a whopping great big list of other
supposed amazing titles).

The same goes for PS3, and 360, they both had/have sucky titles on release, so
don' t think I am being specific here, the dire PS3 titles go without saying.

Red Steel is the first game to go down as a bit of a disappointment, some people
don' t want to take back their statements so much that they are like " Meh, I am
buying it still."

Zelda was always going to be a killer app, but I have said it once and I' ll say it
again, I believe that only Nintendo' s IP will succeed this generation and that is
also featured heavily in your statement as well Terrak, but it also means that
again, the majority of the Wii' s games will be sucky as the third party developer
can produce more games (as a mass) than the first party developer.

It' s not Nintendo' s fault, it' s the third parties I don' t believe in. They are making
the Wii seem like a fad.

Terrak
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 11:50

ORIGINAL: Tiz
Of course I wouldn' t be saying any of this if they had admitted that their
launch games may be a bit sucky...
When all you guys were saying " Red Steel will be the best" and
" Wii controls= Amazing"
Hmm, when NOW you suddenly change your tune, and using " Damage control"
as a defence:

No i personally never said they were amazing, i can' t say that because i haven' t actually tried it. I was hoping they would be amazing, though these opinions were formed from videos and other peoples experiences with it. unfortunately its not the case. Too bad though. Well theres always Red steel 2 (c' mon Ubi get your act together)

The fact of the matter is that this control method is new and there is a way to go before the control is perfected.

I' ll strike that one and let it be, because I consider you to be one of the smarter
people here on this forum.

Thanks. I find people here generally more informed then anywhere else i go on the Net (i' m not sucking up, thats what i have personally concluded), thats why i post here alot.

When developers properly get a handle of Wii' s control method and properly execute them then we can talk, as for now its still work in progress and with a pretty good average score for most launch titles (especially Zelda) i think that thats a good start.

Zelda has been coming out for almost three years now, I remember talking about
TP coming out a few months after my GCSE' s and how I was going to play it then..

That was about 2-3 years ago, and wow, they finally released and it is now the
most successful Wii launch game... Too darn right it should be, considering how
bloody long it has been delayed for.

I don' t even consider TP to be a Wii game, it will be a Gamecube game to me
always.

can' t argue with you there, 3 years wait i would be pissed if it didn' t deliver. Yes its a GC game with ' tacked' on Wiimote functionality but the general view is that the Wii controls are good if not better then the GC controls so i' m thinking positively and will make my mind up come Dec 7th. I am disappointed that they didn' t improve the graphics to take advantage of the Wii - that i cannot deny. But 70hrs of Zelda gaming!! I Can' t complain too much.

Nintendo don' t really have any killer apps for the Wii launch except the Twighlight
Princess, (Waits for someone to give him a whopping great big list of other
supposed amazing titles).

The same goes for PS3, and 360, they both had/have sucky titles on release, so
don' t think I am being specific here, the dire PS3 titles go without saying.

Red Steel is the first game to go down as a bit of a disappointment, some people
don' t want to take back their statements so much that they are like " Meh, I am
buying it still."

i' m giving Red steel a miss at the moment (cancelled my preorder), i knew this might happen (too much hype not enough substance) anyway i' m hoping my workmate wasn' t kidding about the friend who can get free Ubi and Activision games!

Zelda was always going to be a killer app, but I have said it once and I' ll say it
again, I believe that only Nintendo' s IP will succeed this generation and that is
also featured heavily in your statement as well Terrak, but it also means that
again, the majority of the Wii' s games will be sucky as the third party developer
can produce more games (as a mass) than the first party developer.

It' s not Nintendo' s fault, it' s the third parties I don' t believe in. They are making
the Wii seem like a fad.

I' m holding my breath Nintendo and others do deliver.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 20 Nov 06 3:51:41 >

Alecrein
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 13:51

So does Splinter Cell DA on the 360...

So... what' s the point of the Wiimote again??

I jumped on the Fanboy thing, mainly after reading your first post, but I realize it was in jest...however how do you think this is fact?

The point of the wiimote is innovation, something that Sony and Microsoft have not been pursuing. Whether it flops or not Nintendo has the balls to try out something new (Oh yeah, I know how bias that sounded, but it is fact).
~ Unknown ~

Tiz
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 20, 2006 14:20
I have no quams with the fact that Nintendo have jumped off the train
into a completely different station and Sony and Microsoft are on the same train
arguing about who ultimately gets the control of speed.

Well, when I say fact, I am specifically speaking about SC:DA and not the Wii in general. The control method seems a lot better on the 360, and based on what
previewers (check all major gaming sites) and second hand feedback, also from
the videos I have seen, the 360 version looks and plays better. I will replace
fact for proven logic then so it seems less uneducated and " fanboyish" ..

I' m not at all against the Wii idea, but as I said before, different game companies
are going to make it seem like a fad and nothing else. After a while, you' ll
probably notice Nintendo being the only ones who deliver and said third party
companies making the Wii nothing but a gimmick.

To quote you again, I don' t really favour Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

I' ll talk about 360 in the positive, because it is out, and I have played it, and like it. I tend not to complain about niggly bits in a game I have bought, I' ll play it before I buy it, then decide... Not buy it, then waste my time on a forum b!tching about how bad it is..

I talk about Sony somewhere in the middle, where even though they haven' t
delivered, I really think people need to stop watching their every move " Oh, SOny
didn' t put the toilet seat down" It' s just irritating, they have great games coming
out....later, or maybe....

I like two things from Nintendo - Zelda and Super Smash Brothers, I think of
Mario as everyone thinks of Sonic' s transition from 2d to 3d..

Sort of wandered off there actually, maybe because I am half asleep and just
finished a damn long session on Gears of War...

Alecrein
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 21, 2006 06:33

Well, when I say fact, I am specifically speaking about SC:DA and not the Wii in general.

I agree with that, the way it was worded seemed like you were speaking generally of the Wii not in relation to SC:DA.
~ Unknown ~

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 21, 2006 07:45

ORIGINAL: Alecrein

The point of the wiimote is innovation, something that Sony and Microsoft have not been pursuing. Whether it flops or not Nintendo has the balls to try out something new (Oh yeah, I know how bias that sounded, but it is fact).

Don' t really agree there. They haven' t decided to try a totally new control scheme (which Nintendo DOES have balls for doing) but Microsofts " innovation" comes in the form of their online game. As far as I' m concerned, they brought online to the console! They weren' t first, but everybody is trying to catch up to their lead in that one area. Sony' s innovation comes in the form of hardware. The Cell processor and Blu-ray drive are both innovative as hell! Unfortunately, these two innovations may not gain as wide acceptance in the video game world as Sony would hope.

To be honest, I' d choose Xbox live over the Wiimote, Cell, and Blu-ray anyday!

I do like Miis though! They' re cool!

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: 360' s crash and die, PS3' s crash and die, and now Wii' s crash and die... - Nov 22, 2006 04:37

Thanks . I find people here generally more informed then anywhere else i go on the Net (i' m not sucking up, thats what i have personally concluded), thats why i post here alot.
This is the only forum I post on regularly for that reason.