Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 How has the advent of DVD changed your life?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
How has the advent of DVD changed your life? - Jun 21, 2004 06:03
How has DVD changed your video viewing life much?

While I don' t have a stand alone DVD player, my Xbox and PS2 game consoles serve as my main DVD players and lately I' ve been going nuts on purchasing Entire Season DVD sets, starting with both Seasons of Smallville which I went through quite quickly.

After watching the Cheers marathon on TV not too long ago I enjoyed it so much that I started buying their entire season DVD sets. Got the first three seasons and went through them each in less than a day. Plan to complete the entire Cheers DVD collection as soon as more become available.

Recently ordered the complete Buck Rogers DVD set as well as Knight Rider. Totally stoked about those as I was a huge fan of both shows, especially Buck Rogers.

I' d Love to get:

1- FRIDAY THE 13th: The series (I was SOOOO stoked to track this one down on Ebay last night, this dude has all three seasons! I LOVED Ryan and Mickey!)

2- SPECTREMAN: (Used to watch this show as a child after Ultraman!)

3- THE X-FILES: (Actually I was planning to get this first but it was too expensive at the time so I got Smallville instead)

4- LA FEMME NIKITA: (I know I know this should have been one of my first purchases but since I' ve seen most of the episodes I thought it best to start with something new)

5- THE TRANSFORMERS: (I have every episode on VHS and have a few on DVD so I' ll eventually get around to completing the DVD collection soon!)

6- G.I. JOE: (Only have the movie, looking forward to getting the entire DVD collections.)

7- THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN complete collection -(I want this one and BAD!!

Someday I hope they release DVD sets of old TV shows like SILVER SPOONS and THE MAN FROM ATLANTIS!

GOD! DVD Overload! DVD Overload!!!!!!!
I' m a huge supporter of VHS but can' t deny my growing love for Deeeee Veeeee Deeeee!
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: How has the advent of DVD changed your life? - Jun 21, 2004 07:20
GI JOE was never even released in theaters. I' d like to see it all in one sitting (everyone was force to watch the movie in five separate parts with many commercial interruptions).

I have stand alone DVD players and would never consider using a game system to watch a movie. I have heard that the reason many PS2' s break is because people watch movies on it. Plus I don' t feel I can get the best possible experience from a low priced box that was designed to do many other things.

DVD has not really changed my movie watching life, as I had LaserDisc with Dolby Digital and DTS back in the day. But it has changed my move-making life. I can now shoot and edit movies in 5.1 Dolby Digital EX and 5.1 and 6.1 DTS digital sound, which makes a HUGE difference to me.
JRock79

• Total Posts : 20
RE: How has the advent of DVD changed your life? - Jun 22, 2004 03:47
I have a code free stand alone and a PS2, and only use my PS2 for DVD-Rs. Since I have a Code free player, I have a wide variety of DVDs, many of them will never reach R1. Not to mention, the incredibly shrinking shelf space...
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: How has the advent of DVD changed your life? - Jun 22, 2004 14:08
I used to hate the idea of DVDs because I was set with my VHS
But when I got my PS2 I started watching them and don' t think I' ve gone back to a VHS yet
I want to but haven' t started a DVD collection yet. I don' t have the money but I almost exclusively watch DVDs now
If only I had money
otaku

• Total Posts : 195
RE: How has the advent of DVD changed your life? - Jul 01, 2004 00:28
I still wonder sometimes, how did DVD survive and take over VHS when others failed like VCD and Laser disk. I dont believe its quality alone it must be something else.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: How has the advent of DVD changed your life? - Jul 01, 2004 01:06
Conveinient size, as CD' s established dominance by then. Maybe it was easier for ppl to get movies on. That is a very interesting topic...but its probably the same story as with 8tracks and cassette tapes.

Back to the main topic. I' m a tech freak. When somin new comes out and it seems like a big hit, I' m on it asap. I almost fell into those jumbo sized laser discs, but luckily had a change of mind til DVDs came out and I took the chance. Now all I get is DVD' s and since i got one them DVD players that play all types of DVD' s and what not, I have a huge and almost ridiculous amount of movies.

Basically, I was a DVD groupie long ago. The biggest advantage being the ability to skip around for a specific spot. Slow motion is fun for " certain" movies.
fictionised

• Total Posts : 85
RE: How has the advent of DVD changed your life? - Jul 06, 2004 08:04
I had to study Physics of High Technology as one of my subjects last year at uni- all because of optical devices and stuff like dvds.....apart from that, they let me play great games, watch movies in high quality, and whatnot :)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll