Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Next-Gen Systems Report Card
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 39 of 39
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 17, 2004 02:12
I can see the IGN list, but the Gamespot profile just wants me to sign up. Can you chose from more than just current generation systems? Can you choose like, say, import Saturn games?

Your list is impressive but it will impress me more if I can see what older games you have.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 17, 2004 02:49
For both GS and IGN, you can put any game on your list that they have in their database, whether they have a review for it or not. The sites are a little different, though. I could add a game like Speedy Gonzales for the GameBoy to my IGN list, but that game doesn' t exist at GS, so it can' t be in my collection.

That' s the main reason why I don' t list any older games. But it' s also because I really don' t know what I have left in my closet. I need to re-purchase an SNES and several games, that' s for sure.
Joe Redifer

RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 17, 2004 04:01
Would you recommend Speedy Gonzales for the GameBoy? I' ve heard good things about it.
fathoms

RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 17, 2004 04:03
If you can find it anywhere, I would. It' s a pretty interesting game, to be sure. The control is a little " flighty" , but it' s well worth playing. It' s a pretty decent challenge, and there' s some very solid side-scrolling components. I got it for Christmas way back when, and I had a lot of fun with it.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 17, 2004 06:07
I agree, 10-20 seconds won' t hurt, though I recall throwing some controllers in the PS1 days. But really, play a PC game every now and then, that will make you grateful of the consoles short (unless, as Fathoms said, you have ADD) load times. Also, Joe, how does Fathoms hate the PS2 with a passion? It seems to me that his list is makes it fairly obvious that he doesnt prefer a console, but a genre. (He has more PSone and PS2 games cus it seems he likes RPG' s, so hes not biased towards a certain system). And lastly, if you think there is something wrong with a purple console, I think you have some homophobic issues to take care of. (Its whats under the hood that counts, you shallow person you, lol)
Joe Redifer

RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 17, 2004 08:01

Also, Joe, how does Fathoms hate the PS2 with a passion?

I dunno, he' s the one who called me, remember?
fathoms

RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 17, 2004 12:56
This is Joe' s attempt at being humorous, immortal. And apparently it' s because of the my little report card, where I give the PS2 the highest score and the GC the lowest. As far as I' m concerned, that' s only common sense at this point.

And I have never been biased towards any one game system or company. I' ve always thought that was retarded. If the game is good, I' ll play it; don' t care if it' s best played on a microwave oven.

But yes, as you can see, I' m a big RPG fan, so I have a lot of PSOne and PS2 games. If you counted up all the non-RPG games, though, the number of titles I have for each system is just about equal. Actually, most all the games I have on the PSOne are RPG' s in the first place, so...

I diversify. I play only one RPG at once, but I' ll play a lot of others at the same time. Right now, on any given day, I' ll play Chronicles of Riddick (AWESOME game) or Burnout 2 on the XBox, Champions of Norrath or Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (neither are finished) on the PS2, HoMM on my laptop, or any of the old classics on my GameBoy, should the mood strike me. I do need to get a GBA and pick up the re-released NES original classics, though. I NEED those.
skurf

• Total Posts : 85
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 17, 2004 20:01
Loading times are a legitimate complaint if you ask me. In fact, that' s one thing that turned me off of Red Faction. Halo loads an entire level at the beginning of the level with literally only split-second load times throughout the massive levels, whereas in Red Faction it seems like every new room you go into, every door you open, or every hallway you enter, a 10 second loading screen pops up. That completely takes me out of the game-- never being able to fully engross myself in it. I don' t mind load times at the beginning of a level, but when you have 20 load times within one level, that' s just extremely annoying.
fathoms

RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 17, 2004 21:33
Red Faction is an extreme case (the only other PS2 game I' ve played that takes as long to load is Crash Bandicoot), and came out in early 2001. Halo came out on a newer system more than a year and a half later. Not exactly a fair comparison.

As of right now, the overall difference is between 5 and 10 seconds, which doesn' t have any impact on me in the least. I' ve played enough on both platforms to know.
skurf

• Total Posts : 85
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 17, 2004 22:24
The difference is being able to load on the fly or loading a level in it' s entirety (Xbox) compared to having pauses in the middle of a level to wait for it to load (PS2), which I find quite annoying. I don' t see why you can' t compare Red Faction to Halo considering they' re both FPS' s on current gen consoles. And don' t pretend that Red Faction and Crash Bandicoot are the only ones that do this. You want a more recent comparison? Ok, how about one of the most recent games to date, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow...taken from your favorite site (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/pandoratomorrow/review.aspx):
" ...its single-player portion suffers from poor pacing caused by too many abrupt checkpoints, save points, and loading times that have been injected into each level."

You should e-mail that reviewer and demand that he take that out of the review because it is obviously not a legitimate complaint. If he gives you any grief just be sure to remind him who you are and that fathoms is never wrong.

< Message edited by skurf -- 6/17/2004 10:25:50 PM >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 18, 2004 00:41
I don' t think any of these complaints about load times are legit unless you have NEVER played a Turbografx-16 CD-rom game.

If you HAVE played a Turbo CD game then you should count your blessings that the games you play now take 30 seconds to finish loading ;)
Joe Redifer

RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 18, 2004 01:21
I can only think of a few Turbo games with excessive loading. Like Valis 2 and that generation of games. But Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, etc all load VERY fast. And Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire had zero loading time, I swear. Of course that is for the Arcade Card. You played that one, Terry?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 18, 2004 01:40
Heck No I haven' t played that! Why type of game is it????

Games like Lords of Thunder and such were generation 2 games that utilized the improved system card! But games like Last Alert and Valis 2, oh god, used that awful first card and took a while to load.
Joe Redifer

RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 18, 2004 02:12
Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire is an overhead shooter for the Arcade Card (16megs of RAM instead of 2megs like the Super System Card). It is awesome. It was programmed by da same peeps who did Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder. Music is by T' s Music (Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Super Monkeyball 1 and 2, etc..). Really cool game. It' ll be the last thing on the videotape I' m making for you.
fathoms

RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 18, 2004 02:25
You know what skurf? Why don' t you see if you can crawl further up Microsoft' s ass.

I' ve played over 75 games on the PS2 and around 40 on the Xbox. I can determine what games load in the middle and what don' t, and how long each takes. And actually, the GC is the fastest of all three. Thanks for your input though; scintillating, as usual.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 18, 2004 05:00
Now now, Fathoms, dont make him cry. You guys cant compare RF to Halo, so compare RFII to Halo. RFII is newer, yet feels the need to load every 5-10 minutes. And we all know which one looks, sounds, and plays better. (Hint*** it doesnt begin with a " F" )
Russian Mobster

• Total Posts : 357
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 20, 2004 02:14
I beat Red Faction for PC.I never got into Red Faction 2.

As for Dreamcast its a really good system.
U can play all the games from previous systems on it.I have about 4,000 roms from NES,SNES,Gameboy,Gameboy advance,Sega Genesis + some other roms that i play on my dreamcast.

+u can make your own games and play them on dreamcast.It also plays Divx.
RCOrcutt

• Total Posts : 27
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 25, 2004 21:14
I think that all gamecube needs to do is make good RPG games.
I would like it to be used for its potential. Developers are just being lazy with the gamecube.
Briankins

• Total Posts : 1
RE: Next-Gen Systems Report Card - Jun 28, 2004 03:36
Oh! fathoms! I love you! you may not remember me (Not with this name anyway) but oh, how I loved your posts a few years back on Sonyweb forums, such a typical Sony fanboy if I ever did see! ahhhh memories, and it seems you haven' t changed much, oh well.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 39 of 39

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message