Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!!

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 08, 2006 23:50
WOW!!!

By Nathan Layne

TOKYO (Reuters) - It seems to be one thing after another for Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, NEWS, Research) these days.

After a recall involving millions of Sony-made personal computer batteries and yet another delay for the PlayStation 3 game console, even one of Sony' s top executives is questioning whether the company is on the right track.

" If you asked me if Sony' s strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true," game unit head Ken Kutaragi said after Sony pushed back the PS3' s European launch by four months to March.

The delay means Sony will miss the crucial Christmas shopping season in Europe, giving Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) and Nintendo Co. (7974.OS: Quote, NEWS, Research) a head start in the race to win over next-generation gamers in key markets like Germany and Spain.

But for investors, the bigger worry is what the setback says about Sony' s reputation as a top-class manufacturer with the ability to deliver quality products to the market on time.

LINK - Reuters

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 08, 2006 23:54
Wow that would make me so confident in purchasing their product...however I respect his honesty.

Terrak
  • Total Posts : 783
  • Reward points : 19070
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 00:11
Can the news get any worse for sony? Yes it can.

LINK - TGDAILY

I don' t know if this has been posted but it seems to add to sonys misery.

< Message edited by Terrak -- 8 Sep 06 16:12:33 >

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 00:16
Yeah I decided to go to EBgames and sell my old Xbox and psp for a DS lite.

Nitro
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 00:36
Ok, back on topic - if he' s saying it publically then it has to be worse than it appears.

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 00:39

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

Ok, back on topic - if he' s saying it publically then it has to be worse than it appears.

Has to be. Like I said from the beggining since when that guy got fired for writing what he did on his blog I would love to be in one of their meetings to see what goes on (a lot of hair tearing I bet).

Terrak
  • Total Posts : 783
  • Reward points : 19070
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 01:04
With only 1.2 million ps3 units by years end, they will trail Nintendo and microsoft by a very large margin. I don' t see how sony could ramp up production to overtake Nintendos Wii, or 360s huge one year lead for that matter. The ps3 has alot of new and inherently expensive tech that would make it alot more difficult to manufacture then either the Wii or 360 further affecting production.

Losing another European Christmas is going to hurt more then they will admit.

Now it looks like the psp will begin to fall further and further behind the DS, Yes it is worse then it appears, much much worse!!

however if any company can get out of a hole, it would be sony, however the hole is getting deeper and they don' t seem to be able to dig themselves out of it fast enough.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 02:18
they might be slow to market but it is only 6 months before they are in full gear with the ps3 worldwide from the Novemeber launch.

I swear the way people are talking about Sony that they are going bust.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 02:22
Who cares about Kutaragi or the PS3?!
Our names are blue now instead of black. What do you think about that?

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 03:32
Yay he' s honest!

Now I can add the PS3 to my list of other trustworthy Sony products:

Sony Eriksson K800i

and Sony PSP...

Go Kutaragi, you can get back to power!
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Papado
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 03:39
Man those Sony Pr guys are like little devils on their shoulders:
_" kutaragi today admits that PS3 is lagging behind"
_" No man, don' t say that! We don' t have to let them know anything" ... etc.
< Message edited by papado -- 8 Sep 06 19:40:13 >

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 03:44
Sony Will indeed Come Full Circle When they decide to get there crap together
They will hit em hard. But the qustion is when and what year 07 08 09 i will go with the o9

You know what the crazy thing is about this is after all this delaying crap is over and all the bull crap is done. What if Sony Start' s off Slow but end' s up Winng in the long Run i mean winnig if i was ms and this happend i would be mad.

That' s just an if I cant really belive that but hell you never no What ever if i dont get on on launch day then i dont want one at all

Nitro
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 04:01
Bullshit!

The Playstation franchise is his baby, if he' s saying that Sony could be losing it' s grip on the industry or that they' re falling behind then something is very wrong.

This kind of thing isn' t fucking PR, ...it' s the kind of comment that makes shareholders wince and since their shares dropped AGAIN with the announcement that Sony will only have 500,000 units split between the US and Japan and Europe will be left out, ...saying...

" If you asked me if Sony' s strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true,"

...is the last thing they want to hear.

Some of you guys talking like the Playstation brand is indestructable need to look at what happened to SEGA in more detail.

This kind of thing will obviously also worry publishers, and if more games start to get cancelled we' ll know what the final outcome will be, because without strong publisher support Sony have nothing.

To get an idea of how hard Sony CAN fail, just take a look at many of their other products and other areas of their business. They haven' t yet created a successful media format (and they' ve tried enough times), they' ve been crushed in the portable music player market, haven' t managed to outdo Nintendo and their drastically underpowered DS, then there was the DRM scandal.

The fucking company has had to BORROW money from the bank to cover it' s costs. Sony are simply noy doing well financially and Blu-Ray is looking like it could cripple them.

If they don' t put on a strong showing at TGS then PS3 may as well be stillborn. Sony seems to have contracted Daikatana syndrome.

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 04:22
it' s been one year and half since the last E3 and sont didn' t stop making mistakes, teh first one ever is to show prerendred stuff taht are from what ps3 is truly capable of (at least that' s what it looks like) , and they didn' t stop droping bad news since then , it gets rediculous, laughable , almost like a bunsh of mataurs running a company... and you wonder , they can' t be THAT stupid , they obviously know what they are doing, they obvisouly have some hidden cards left, but nooo...
PSP shwo that they are not the legend we use to think , they made mistakes, and it seems thay can attract the best games to their handhelds , making a lot of ports and even making it hard for the homebrew scene .... i guess that' s their fate , failure.

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 04:25
Yeah yeah,wait a minute.

Look at other console launches.
Every console need a year to two,before you should judge them

I really wanna tell sony to fuck themself.
But in a year or two we' re gonna be bothered about launch titles or this delay.

And at that time then it is waht really matters.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Papado
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 04:32

Sony seems to have contracted Daikatana syndrome.

Is Romero making a game for PS3?

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 04:33
their futur look absolutly dark, for god' s sake even PES the symbole of playstation for many people, will be out on 360 first, take just that , how many people will get a 360 for that game ? ps3 is getting much less exclusives than ps2 (which was its strongest point), it' s expensive, it' s not that powerful like we dreamed one day, sony is in financial bottleneck, blue ray is a risk against HD dvd , wii and microsoft are very agressive maaaan they are in fucking trouble ... hehe and the HDMI cable is not included [:' (]

QuezcatoL
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 04:35
Well who knows what happends.

Square-enix has a lot to offer PS3...

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 04:48
Whats PES?

I think the thing that will make or break Sony this time around, is how good their consoles are! Do the break? Are many sold that dont really work? With a lot of that, plus shortages, bad games. Then i think it looks bleak!

QuezcatoL
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 04:52
Pro Evolution Soccer???

Vx Chemical
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 05:23
Ahhhhh soccer. YAWN!

QuezcatoL
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 05:24
We gonna kick your ass and Spanish asses in the qualifying :P

Vx Chemical
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 05:27
I dont care, if it meant it wouldnt be on tv all the time! youd be most welcome, but all matches are shown anyway!

QuezcatoL
RE: Kutaragi admits Sony' s losing it' s former strength!!! - Sep 09, 2006 05:28
WE KICK ASSES!!!