Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 17:55
Sony have come back to Microsoft' s Ozymandias comments about PS3 having longer loading times because of Sonys decision to use a 2 x Blu-Ray drive rather than a 12 x DVD drive. They aren' t however disputing it, they' re agreeing.

Mark Deloura, FORMER Sony Relations Manager (now working for Ubisoft) and stringent Sony defender had this to say...

" Admittedly, Blu-Ray looks dicey from several non-capacity angles. Blu-Ray movies require a 1.5x Blu-Ray drive, or 54Mbits/second. Sony announced that PS3 uses a 2x BD drive, which is 72Mbits/second or 9MB/second. The Xbox 360 uses a 12x DVD, which should give it about 16MB/second. That is significantly faster for games and will result in shorter load times. And that 12x DVD drive should be a whole lot cheaper."

This whole thing started last week with Insomniac announcing that their PS3 title Resistance: Fall of Man would use up 22 GB, and Kaz Hirai saying that Microsoft will end up putting games on multiple discs due to DVD9' s size constraints.

One or two of us here have had this debate before and came to the exact same conclusion but it' s nice to hear our thoughts from months ago echoed publically by these guys.

Take a look at Ozymandias and Mark DeLoura' s blogs and read the respective posts for yourselves.

Ozymandias

Mark DeLoura' s

So Blu-Ray was the right decision in terms of capacity but the drawback is that the games will have longer loading times.

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 18:02
But ps3 has a HDD.
Which will probably equalize everything.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 18:19
I can' t wait to get my hands on a PS3 just to see how bad/good it is. Long loading times because of Blu-ray, short loading times because of the HDD. Damnit! Make up your minds!

Nitro
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 18:34
The HDD won' t make that much of a difference. The data still has to be read by the drive and transfered to the HDD and that can only be done at a maximum of 9MB/s.

QuezcatoL
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 18:35
Well the HDD never gaved us better loading times on the xbox.
However in games like Oblivion without the Cache,it would have been a bit annoying in some parts.

Nitro
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 19:16

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

However in games like Oblivion without the Cache,it would have been a bit annoying in some parts.

It definatey makes a difference in Oblivion and especially in CoD2 (which from the second the disc starts spinning to gameplay is around 15 seconds)

Some developers havent managed to figure it out properly yet but they will.

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 19:29

The HDD won' t make that much of a difference. The data still has to be read by the drive and transfered to the HDD and that can only be done at a maximum of 9MB/s.

It can be done in the background - many japanese developers use amazing techniques to transfer data while we' re playing - I' m pretty sure loading times won' t be an issue with PS3 - it should be better than with 360 (great devs , HDD)

How can you tell? did you remove your HDD and tried playing games?

I played my games entirely of Hdd and loadtimes were blazing fast.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 21:34
If the devolpers are willing, they can easily avoid this loading problem.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

]GaNgStA[
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 21:37
yep , and they can do it on both systems easily , but 360 devs aren' t as skilled and some japanese veterans (that also help EU and US studios making games for PS systems)

Nitro
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 21:41

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

yep , and they can do it on both systems easily , but 360 devs aren' t as skilled and some japanese veterans (that also help EU and US studios making games for PS systems)

You' re dreaming. Even Kojima admitted that western developers had pulled ahead in terms of know how.

Maybe what you' re saying would have been the case if both systems weren' t basically made up of PC architecture. Japanese developers don' t even have any experience with HDD' s. It' ll take ages before they figure it out properly.

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 21:44

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

Hmmmm again I think you might be a bit mistaken with that but we' ll see how the ' ' japanese veterans' ' compare this gen.

]GaNgStA[
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 21:52

You' re dreaming. Even Kojima admitted that western developers had pulled ahead in terms of know how.

I' m not dreaming man , I' ve seen games from both and I just now.

Dragon Quest VIII - this games is as hard for PS2 to run as Oblivion is for 360 yet it has no loadings.It' s so smooth it' s crazy.

Japanese developers don' t even have any experience with HDD' s. It' ll take ages before they figure it out properly.

Every devkit since god knows when is equiped with HDD and Itagaki was one of the people who made Xbox loadtimes much faster using hdd cache.

Trust me - Japanese people are not the ones who lack technology skills - most of the new technologies come from them.

Saying that they can' t handle HDD is stupid.They make games without loading screens with DVD drive alone - and I' m sure they could do it with blue ray , adding HDD gives them a lot of options.

]GaNgStA[
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 06, 2006 21:53

Hmmmm again I think you might be a bit mistaken with that but we' ll see how the ' ' japanese veterans' ' compare this gen.

I' m not talking about visuals here - I' m talking about shortening loadtimes.

Papado
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 02:49
Well shit, color me silly! I had no idea Sony had grabed all of the planet' s good developers for themselves! Was this done sometime between the lying and the bad decisions? But I suppose you are right; what the hell do Cliffy B. or Bioware now about making games anyway?

QuezcatoL
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 04:58
Gangsta,360 hasn' t hard time running Oblivion.

However it plays in Maxium graphic with HDR+AA which pc version doesnt support since Nvidia graphic cards can' t handle that,even the best out there.

Yes there is some lagg in OB,but then again its a huge world,and i never feelt like the 360 work its ass off for OB.

Heck even the best pc' s out there has problem running it properly.
I know even a nightmare scenarios people having dual sli 7800 gts and it laggs for them.

WTF?
2 rsx and still laggs.

Then its opitimizng problem

And how can i say that?
because if you have that power and still lagg problems,then it can hardly be the CPU since it run as good as lower spec (360).

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 05:31

But ps3 has a HDD.
Which will probably equalize everything.

Sure, if you don' t mind waiting for it to load the first time. It should be interesting how they' re going to allocate HDD memory. It' d be nice if they' d give us the option as to how much memory we want to allocate for cache and how much we' ll be using for music/movie/demo capabilities. Y' know a little bar that you move left or right, I don' t see why something like that wouldn' t work. I mean I know they' re probably going to have a minimum allocation already set, but it' d be nice if we could bump it up a little more.

]GaNgStA[
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 07:16

But I suppose you are right; what the hell do Cliffy B. or Bioware now about making games anyway?

They sure can' t make short loadtimes.

However it plays in Maxium graphic with HDR+AA which pc version doesnt support since Nvidia graphic cards can' t handle that,even the best out there.

Not after new patches.And you should check IGN' s head to head video (they show side by side) how high end PC version walks all over the 360 game.

I don' t care about visuals that much - but you have to live with it.What you say is BS - it doesn' t look better on PC , that difference is huge.
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 6 Sep 06 23:19:22 >

Bishonen
  • Total Posts : 1718
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 08:19
...the Japanese-made Ninja Gaiden had some pretty long loading times... ....in fact if you played a different game between NG sessions, sometimes loads took most of 5 minutes to load!....

....Halo 2 was pretty atrocious in this respect also, but when you take into account how amazing the visuals were for both games, the huge sized levels and the amazing AI, the longer loading screens became pretty forgettable....

....this argument is irrelevant.....
Currently accepting Article & Review requests

QuezcatoL
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 08:21
5 min?

come on.
Took at most like 30 sec.

And each map was big.

Nitro
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 08:22

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

5 min?

come on.
Took at most like 30 sec.

And each map was big.

He means the very first load.

QuezcatoL
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 08:23
I know he does.
It didn' t take any freaking 5 min for me.
Or even close.
Not even 1 min ,.
Wtf was wrong with your xbox?

Bishonen
  • Total Posts : 1718
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 08:37
...nothing as far as i could tell.. ...although i did pretty regularly have it on for whole days at a time listing to music as well as playing games... ...and it used to make funny sounding sounds during loads too...

....what was the DVD speed of it anyway?.. ...wasn' t it faster than the ps2?...
Currently accepting Article & Review requests

_Ninja_Protocol_
  • Total Posts : 212
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 10:30
Yeah the first load up in NG took forever, but the other level where amazingly fast. Whenever I' d want to play NG I' d put it in and go off and make myself a PB&J sandwitch, and when I got back, it was game time

Well, one thing that I need cleared up is if Resistance 22GB is all one language.

If its not then lets say its 3 different languages (Japanese, English, and Pig Latin) then thats 7.3GB a shot. (Which would mean its below the 8.5GB that hte DVD9s hold...hmm) So from the get-go, say if you have an English is your default in the PS3, then shouldn' t the councle be able to just ignore that extra 11GB?
...Random Madness, Forward...

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 12:13
They' re going to be much closer to the 360 then the ps2 in terms of loading speed.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 19:58
I played PGR3 and noticed how many loadfing screens I got.

Hope the Ps3 isnt the same.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 20:11
PGR3' s load times are bearable..
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Ikashiru
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 24890
RE: Microsoft claim PS3 will have longer loading times, Sony agree. Kinda. - Sep 07, 2006 23:16
PG3 makes a noose for its own neck having loading screens for going back to the menu system.. If it didnt do that every few minutes then the load times would be bearable. Remember that was a lauch title too.

Would be interesting to see if devs including optomized load code for HD equipped 360' s yet as well as unequipped.

Easiest thing to do will be to time a PS3 and a 360 (and a PC) from title screen to game on COD3!
< Message edited by musashi -- 7 Sep 06 15:16:57 >