PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 04:05
I think this is old but hell its new to me (sorry if this is old)

Sometimes old news is still news worth writing about, especially when it' s " insider" information about the PS3 launch, PS3 games, and the PSP. Hey, just because other people have known about it since before August 18 doesn' t mean that everybody has had access to it, right? More importantly, people aren' t done talking about it yet, and there' s still lots more to be said.

More than a week ago, The Professor told us about an article over at genmay.com, and here' s what that article had to say:

" The launch lineup is shrinking."

* Bad News: What was supposed to be 30 titles (both 1st and 3rd party games) has gone down to 15 titles (Scrivener couldn' t get more specific because the list " literally changes by the hour" ).
* Good News: Postponing some of the games means more development time. This means better quality. Example: Heavenly Sword was revealed at E3 but will be released in March. But it now has " layers and layers of detail" and " looks like f***ing Advent Children" and has gotten a " God of War type violence upgrade."
* Killzone 2 is still in development and is PS3' s " secret weapon." Scrivener says, " Announcements are being held back until closer to the PS3 launch as it' s going to generate a monumental amount of buzz."
* Lair will be held back to at least summer of 2007, but promises to be " absof***inglutely incredible" thanks to " unscripted AI-driven massive scale battles (we' re talking Helms Deep here)" where you control a single dragon and rider. Basically the AI is " playing an RTS with itself" and your character simply tries change the tide of the battle.
* Resistance: Fall of Man is supposed to be a mix of Half Life 2 and Call of Duty. Scrivener says, " I f***ing hate both those games so I was not terribly impressed with the single player. Now multiplayer is a whole different beast, because the weapons are strange as f***." Also, the system checks the distances and environment and mimics the distortion caused by echoes and all that. Unfortunately, the game won' t be out until the first part of 2007 or later.

Scrivener also got into the whole Blu-ray debate: the Xbox 360 uses DVD9 while the PS3 uses BD discs. This means that a PS3 disc will fit in more data: that means more details, more textures, and just more. What Scrivener basically said was:

* There was a demo of an upcoming sports game (Scrivener couldn' t say which game).
o One was on Xbox 360 (DVD9) connected to an HDTV (720P).
o The other was on PS3 (BD50) and HDTV (720P).
o The PS3' s was better.
* The reason why the BD50 one was better: the 360 could have handled the high resolutions, but they won' t fit on the disc. So the 360 suffers. 85% of the games in development for the PS3, according to Scrivener, will not fit on a single DVD9.

Also according to Scriviner: BD is the way to go. Why? He has his reasons: 80% of manufacturing plants are adopting Blu-Ray, Sony has clout in the movie industry, and BD movie costs are now $20 to $30.

Well, Scrivener is not an unbiased writer, but he has a reputation for not making stuff up. While we at QJ have yet to come to a consensus about the whole BD-vs-DVD thing, we' ll leave you with some things to think about:

* Do you think that having your game shipped in more than one disc is a problem?
* If the future of next-gen consoles is all about better processing speeds and all that, do the game cinematics really need to be squeezed into a CD, or could they just be rendered on the spot as you play the game?

Source

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 04:53
I wont believe a word untill I see it.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 06:29

This means that a PS3 disc will fit in more data: that means more details, more textures, and just more.

bull. It might fit in all that gorgeous hi-rez texture data, but sony doesn' t have unified RAM so unless I' m hitting the weed pretty hard, nothing' s going over 256mb. (unless they go for memory card type RAM)

Papado
  • Total Posts : 234
  • Reward points : 0
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 06:56
I don' t know about this, but it' s what I heard:

In the weeks before the Tokyo game Show, information about the PS3, long kept secret since E3, is begining to surface. Sony' s Howard Stringer cared to comment: " This new feature, hidden from fans for reason of internal processes, is one that I am most excited about! So without further ado please alow me to announce the PlayStation BJ Drive. The BJ drive is a complex piece of engineering developed internally at Sony Labs for over two years, and it heralds the future in console/gamer interface. Bassically, what the machine does is through an advanced set of tube interfaces and air vents, provides the user with stomatic suction delectation, or as we like to call it, a blowjob(tm). Now what' s revolutionary about the PSBJ though the that it can access these advanced sucking protocols at a rate of 120bjps, or blowjobs per second, as our man Ken has assured us. This is of course much higher than our competitors who can only achieve a rate of 60bjps at most" For more on that, we' ll see you in Tokyo this september.

Not sure about this one though.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 07:12

quote:

In the weeks before the Tokyo game Show, information about the PS3, long kept secret since E3, is begining to surface. Sony' s Howard Stringer cared to comment: " This new feature, hidden from fans for reason of internal processes, is one that I am most excited about! So without further ado please alow me to announce the PlayStation BJ Drive. The BJ drive is a complex piece of engineering developed internally at Sony Labs for over two years, and it heralds the future in console/gamer interface. Bassically, what the machine does is through an advanced set of tube interfaces and air vents, provides the user with stomatic suction delectation, or as we like to call it, a blowjob(tm). Now what' s revolutionary about the PSBJ though the that it can access these advanced sucking protocols at a rate of 120bjps, or blowjobs per second, as our man Ken has assured us. This is of course much higher than our competitors who can only achieve a rate of 60bjps at most" For more on that, we' ll see you in Tokyo this september.

Finally, some concrete information about Sony' s next gen Technosexual agenda.

Bummer, now I' ve gotta stop abusing the rumble feature on my Dualshock 2.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 07:16

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

This means that a PS3 disc will fit in more data: that means more details, more textures, and just more.

bull. It might fit in all that gorgeous hi-rez texture data, but sony doesn' t have unified RAM so unless I' m hitting the weed pretty hard, nothing' s going over 256mb. (unless they go for memory card type RAM)

Which would be getting back to my theory. If it worked for N64 then it could easily work for PS3 as long as they used flash cards.

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 08:01
i think ps3 will do just fine with its current specs

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 12:02

Yeah same here
< Message edited by mikayd2 -- 5 Sep 06 4:08:34 >

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 12:14

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Which would be getting back to my theory. If it worked for N64 then it could easily work for PS3 as long as they used flash cards.

Yeah, it worked, but it wasn' t too popular. I suppose if they used something that was widely available, like a SD card, then it would be utilized more, but this is SONY we' re talking about here! They' re all about the proprietary shit, which means they' ll come up with some other memory module to make everyone spend even MORE money on the damn PS3!

quote:

Damn! I need this on my 360 for DOA: Xtreme 2!!!
< Message edited by Chee Saw -- 5 Sep 06 4:16:39 >

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 15:06
This Scriviner sounds like an ass!

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 05, 2006 16:30

Yeah, it worked, but it wasn' t too popular. I suppose if they used something that was widely available, like a SD card, then it would be utilized more, but this is SONY we' re talking about here! They' re all about the proprietary shit, which means they' ll come up with some other memory module to make everyone spend even MORE money on the damn PS3!

But it' s possible. It could get to the point where developers start complaining because of the bottleneck and Sony needs to do something about it. But you' re right saying that Sony would use a propriety medium for it and that would suck for us.

Ofcourse you could have 2 lots of textures on the disc, Blu-Ray would afford devs enough space.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 06, 2006 07:09

i dont.... and i' ll leave i' ll leave it at that cause i dont feel like typing or getting in to arguments with sony fanboys.
< Message edited by mastachefbkw -- 5 Sep 06 23:09:52 >

Ikashiru
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 24890
RE: PS3-vs-360 Disc Debate - Sep 06, 2006 08:51
A drive is only as good as it' s transfer rate. End of really!

If it is anything like generation one dvd drives it will be damn slow for what it is! Kind of reminds me of the mega-cd really;

" Woah, loads of space... err, what do we do with it all?.. erm.. single speed drive access.... damn....erm.. lets do sonic, but with cdda!"

It took another few years for this format to be viable, and even then, excluding red book audio game content coudlnt touch the capacity unless it was video.