Can the PS3 save Sony?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 50
Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 15:10
Interesting reading

This sums up what sony needs to do!

That shareholder in Tokyo had the right idea: Bring back mighty Sony. Please. That doesn' t mean gargantuan Sony or megalomaniac Sony or rule-the-universe Sony; it means a Sony that' s fun again. And for God' s sake, no more wars in the living room – not unless they' re the kind we can play with our friends.
< Message edited by VX Chemical -- 30 Aug 06 7:31:48 >

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 18:24
I agree I hate the whole wars thing (there' s just too much focus on what the next gen systems can do), sony needs to be fun and friendly again not just with the games but demeanour. Don' t get me wrong I don' t want sony turning into petting pinky bunnies or anything. I' m not sure the ps3 is gonna bring them back to what they use to be if anything it' ll spur them on to do what they want without much thought for the consumer.

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 18:57
Awesome article - thanks man.

From what I hear here and there , PS3 could outdo 360 in visuals after a couple of years (mostly thanks to developers who could do amazing things with silly old PS2 and things like Cell' s computing power that Epic people say, needs time to be efficiently used).

I wonder if this will be the case.

It could be the moment of a total triumph - with price reduced, large games library,visual superiority,High-END design (silent.glossy :) ),large storage discs and if Blue Ray and HD DVD are equally well established at that time (or if it' s even better for Sony and BD is winning) then Sony would simply crush MS in the gaming market.Even if both go head to head for 2-3 years.

We need to see this online PS Hub of theirs too (but XBL didn' t stop PS2 from selling 100mln units).

Having said that, all those risk factors could totally ruin them.BD could become the next UMD (or Minidisc or whatever), PS3 price could make it appeling to high-end market only,MS could actually gain japanese support (Dead Rising sold 500000 units in 2 weeks).

It might be my personal opinion (which just as many people agreeing as diagreeing), but 360 looks really cheap and it feels cheap in quality.The single biggest problem of MS is that they didn' t learn the " Apple lesson" - people love cool high end lookin,well made,stylih and hip electronics that are intuitive and cool to use.

One word that MS needs to learn is " BALANCE" .I' m not saying that PS3 will outdo 360 in this department, cause I haven' t tested the retail version yet (it sure looks like a 600$ equipment though).The thing about MS is they focus on raw power and they tend to overlook areas like

" perfect (easy,fast and intuitive) user experience" ,

" lack of distractions (noise,freezes)" ,

" Design" - in both the console, software and everywhere (Apple does this perfectly with their OS , music player, software and computers - and it pays off),

" quality control (if they have something like that - they should fire everyone in this section - right now)" .

They do some things exceptionally well though - XBLive,XBL Arcade (which isn' t all their concept - Wii' s VC was first I think),XNA,Homebrew support are all great new directions for the industry.

As you can tell I wouldn' t be very happy if MS won this next gen race in this form.If they can change (and they didn' t change anything since Windows 95 - their products have almost the same flaws everytime comparing to what' s going on in the world - XP changed visuals a bit, but competition was still way ahead, vista comes out and I wouldn' t be surprised if it will be outdated comparing to leopard)

So I wouldn' t like to see MS wining with what they are doing right now , but I' d like them to win eventually , after some changes.I can' t stand what Sony does with this industry and while I love Nintendo and their revolutionary approach , I' m a graphicwhore and I don' t like having one feature when it means leaving something out.The true revolution can be made when all the evolutionary steps up to this point are implemented next to it.

I do however understand that cutting development cost for Wii is a huge thing in their politics and that they had to go for the low pricing.I think that next gen war will end with one HD system and Wii having equall market shares (or Wii could have bigger share since it' s a nice supplement).

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 19:36
PS3 = Sega Saturn

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 19:39
I think MS did a great job with Xp, and im fairly confident the Vista will be good as well, except for the exstreme requirements!

I think the PS3 looks like crap, i much prefer the Xbox design! i got one toaster, i dont need 2

Nitro
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 19:55
PS3 looks like (is) an overweight original model PS2 with a thousand little holes in it.

The pad looks like (is) a wireless Dual Shock 2 (except there' s no shock) with a guide button.

It' s like KK said " Here' s a PS2 we have left over, feed it some steroids and slap ' Playstation 3' on the side in our Spiderman font"

It' s wierd that 360 is smaller than the original Xbox but PS3 is bigger. Do any of you guys know anybody who made digs at Xbox for being so bulky?!

dasher232
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 20:08
I don' t get it though there seems to be a bit of double standard going around sometimes. For one the original xbox saw a lot of criticism and deservedly so at times. I didn' t care for the size until last year mostly because there were' nt any games on it anymore that I liked and that meant I looked at it a lot more. However now that the ps3 exceeds that or rather mathes it....it' s ok cos it looks expensive...

Also in all honesty in comparison to it' s competitors it didn' t have much of a library or a varied one at that but so far neither does sony so far in comparison to the other consoles (it could change), however if it doesn' t and things follow similarly to the cube and xbox and they still lead by a million then the games industry isn' t about games at all in my opinion.
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 30 Aug 06 12:13:39 >

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 20:12
I said it before i say it again,i never really cared about GC being that small and you can lift it with just a hand.

I only care what the console can do,i dont care about the size or design on it.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

]GaNgStA[
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 20:14
I hated original Xbox for both design and size , and yeah I didn' t like how big the PowerBrick was - I still don' t like it.Even now when it' s clear that PS3 is much bigger.It' s design is quite appealing to me so it kinda makes up for the size in my eyes.

I hate the way PS3 looks in horizontal position - it' s by far the worst desing idea ever , but for vertical placement it kicks ass.

But I will totally flame Sony if it isn' t as silent as those devkits.I can' t wait for the launch - I wanna know what is wrong with it :)

kaoru
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 20:36
In my opinion, Sony will pull through with the PS3, and they will rule again.
Sony may have lots of problem from left to right and yes they have lie alot, but thats not gonna stop them. You see Sony have a wide range of an advantage over its competitor. Once Sony starts it' s PS3 november launch consumer will flock over to grab what they can.
-PS3 sku $499-$599 will be sold out, and will be over-hype then the Xbox360.
-Launch titles might be around 20+ and yes some are already avalible for the 360.
-Blue-ray equiped and some Blue-Ray movies will be out, like Silent Hill
-Games like FFXlll-MGS:4GOTP-GT5 and other top exclusive
Sony, love them or hate them they will continue to succeed, the PS3 is very expensive, but the fans will grab it anyway.
From the past PSone and PS2 dominated Sega and Nintendo, and Sony sold both console over millions+ and why woulden' t people see if the PS3 would save Sony, and yes the PS3 will dominate the 360.

]GaNgStA[
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 20:40

ames like FFXlll-MGS:4GOTP-GT5 and other top exclusive

So you' re saying PS3 is going to rule in 2008? (that' s when MGS4 comes out,GT5 isn' t even close to launch just like FFXIII)

Nitro
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 20:44

ORIGINAL: kaoru

Sony may have lots of problem from left to right and yes they have lie alot, but thats not gonna stop them. You see Sony have a wide range of an advantage over its competitor. Once Sony starts it' s PS3 november launch consumer will flock over to grab what they can.
-Launch titles might be around 20+ and yes some are already avalible for the 360.
Sony, love them or hate them they will continue to succeed, the PS3 is very expensive, but the fans will grab it anyway.
From the past PSone and PS2 dominated Sega and Nintendo, and Sony sold both console over millions+ and why woulden' t people see if the PS3 would save Sony, and yes the PS3 will dominate the 360.

That' s very naive outlook.

dasher232
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 21:06
All i' m gonna say is i' m going where the good games are (as I always do) not interested in loyalty. If the 360 under delivers i' ll find myself going elsewhere and buying other games (which so far isn' t the case), I don' t give two fingers about how powerful cell is and how much blu-ray can store, I wanna know what their machine can do with gameplay and gamers as a few of the main initiatives, not who can build a machine with the most stuff in it. This gen is looking to go like the tortoise and the hare.

kaoru
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 21:35

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

ORIGINAL: kaoru

That' s very naive outlook.

Yeah it seems that way, but once the result comes it will be a very big impact.
And always Developers always take massive planning on developing their anticipated titles years after years, it takes time and preporation, so FFXlll and other great looking title will take 2/4 years to release.. the PS3 will win over sales/games but not really in graphics, so most games that are muti-platform will look identical. As I stated before Sony had made a Great job on their past console and it will seem to be the same on the PS3.

kaoru
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 21:39

ORIGINAL: dasher232

All i' m gonna say is i' m going where the good games are (as I always do) not interested in loyalty. If the 360 under delivers i' ll find myself going elsewhere and buying other games (which so far isn' t the case), I don' t give two fingers about how powerful cell is and how much blu-ray can store, I wanna know what their machine can do with gameplay and gamers as a few of the main initiatives, not who can build a machine with the most stuff in it. This gen is looking to go like the tortoise and the hare.

True that.... the game is all I want, and most of them are Sony exclusive.

Nitro
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 30, 2006 21:46
Yeah but Nintendo did well with the SNES. THEY were the market leader and had been for 2 generations and got pushed out of 1st place by a new competitor.

Nobody who bought the Dreamcast at launch expected it to bomb and for SEGA to have to pull out of the hardware race.

Sony have proven to be beatable on many fronts, most notably in the portable audio player market where Apple have destroyed Sony' s Walkman range and in the handheld gaming market where Nintendo have unexpectedly dominated PSP so far.

Sony are no good with mediums. Their Beta max, Mini Disc, Original DVD format, UMD' s and even SD Cards have all been beaten by rival formats, so how will Blu-Ray be any different?!

Sony won' t die off but i doubt they' ll enter the next generation the market leader. This upcoming console war will be more like the SNES/Mega Drive (Genesis) war where different companies do better in different territories but the difference in marketshare isn' t big.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 02:02
I don' t think its a case of Sony slipping, its a case where the competition is waking up.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 05:48

I don' t get it though there seems to be a bit of double standard going around sometimes. For one the original xbox saw a lot of criticism and deservedly so at times. I didn' t care for the size until last year mostly because there were' nt any games on it anymore that I liked and that meant I looked at it a lot more. However now that the ps3 exceeds that or rather mathes it....it' s ok cos it looks expensive...

Also in all honesty in comparison to it' s competitors it didn' t have much of a library

Your right the PS2 did have more wider variety of games, the Xbox just had a better variety of good games

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 05:51

Okay. the FF series has sucked scince number 7, MGS sucks, why get it when u can just get splinter cell, GT5, why get it when u got PGR 3, and what other top exclusives Playstation has no other exclusives

Nitro
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:20

ORIGINAL: mastachefbkw

Okay. the FF series has sucked scince number 7, MGS sucks, why get it when u can just get splinter cell, GT5, why get it when u got PGR 3, and what other top exclusives Playstation has no other exclusives

Dude stop. I like your enthusiasm but please, just stop.

Firstly, yes Final Fantasy 7 WAS the last truly awesome Final Fantasy game. You are however being way too harsh. This is exactly the same kind of situation that Super Mario Sunshine found itself in. You' re comparing it to a previous entry in the series when what you SHOULD be doing is comparing it to every other game in that genre.

Just as Super Mario Sunshine was a far superior platform game to every other platform game released at the time and even for a good while afterwards, the Final Fantasy games that followed 7 (that' d be 8, 9 and 10 and X2 ofcourse) were FAR better RPG' s than all other non-Final Fantasy games. You' re being too harsh.

Secondly, the Metal Gear Solid series doesn' t suck and the 2nd game was released on your beloved Xbox. The series is critically acclaimed and while it might not be for you, that doesn' t mean it sucks. Personally i' ve never understood the MGS vs SC thing, they' re both completely different games. I adore the Splinter Cell series as everybody here knows, but i also love the MGS series, as everybody here knows. Splinter Cell is a benchmark western series and Metal Gear a benchmark Japanese series. They co-exist easily.

Thirdly, why are you comparing PGR3 to GT5?! When GT5 hits stores PGR4 will be out. If you' re comparing PGR3 to anything compare it to GTHD but bear in mind that one is a driving simulator and the other is a mix of simulation and arcade. GT should be compared to games like GTR and PGR3 can' t really be compared to anything else as the gameplay mechanics are unique.

Fourth and finally you ask what " top exclusives Playstation" (3 i presume) has. Well...

Warhawk
Lair
Resistance Fall of Man
Devil May Cry 4
Assassins Creed (360 version has been announced yet)
Unreal Tournament 2007 (360 version hasn' t been announced yet)
Killzone (possibly has promise)
Virtua Fighter 5
Tekken 6
Fifth Phantom Saga
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Agito XIII
Final Fantasy XIII Fabula Nova Crystallis
Heavenly Sword
Monster Kingdom
Possession (IS this exclusive?)
The Getaway 3
WarDevil Enigma

...and those are just the exclusive games that i want.

So please, no more daft comments. Microsoft and Nintendo won' t have it easy this gen, even if they do have more exclusive games that i, and others no doubt want.

Oh, and don' t post a list of exclusive 360 titles in reply to my post. That' d be sad.

Gaiden BLACK
  • Total Posts : 675
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:25
you totally rock Majik (u forgot MGS4)

JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rest in PEACE Cetra and GANGSTA you guys will be missed..........

Nitro
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:27

ORIGINAL: Gaiden BLACK

JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn' t mention it because he mentioned the MGS series and then asked what other exclusive games Sony had.

Gaiden BLACK
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:28
oh ok cool

U ROCK join!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:29
I think Gaiden wants to ask you out Majik..

JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can almost picture a gay guy in a tight tutu and belly top with " M6on" posted
across..

Not to mention pom-poms with a blue K on them..
< Message edited by Tiz -- 30 Aug 06 22:30:24 >
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Nitro
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:30

ORIGINAL: Tiz

JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can almost picture a gay guy in a tight tutu and belly top with " M6on" posted
across..

I hope you mean him...

dasher232
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:31

JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

across..

Ala Elliott mind you at least eliott knows what sex he is....

Tiz
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:31

I hope you mean him...

Of course.. He IS your cheerleader after all, I don' t think you tied the leash
today when you left the house Majik..

Nitro
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:32

I hope you mean him...

Of course.. He IS your cheerleader after all, I don' t think you tied the leash
today when you left the house Majik..

I like Gaiden, he' s cool.

He doesn have a point though, i do rock!!!!

Gaiden BLACK
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:33

across..

hehe WHERE do ya get ur material from TIZ your so funny..............DONT worry i just wanna know if MAJIK will join

Elliott' s fourth costume is so COOL i wish i was just like him[:' (]
< Message edited by Gaiden Black -- 30 Aug 06 22:35:03 >

Tiz
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:35
Team Sony is biased... Team Kikizo has a Sony section in it.. Why don' t you join
that? Or is it too non-fanboyish for your tastes?

Ala Elliott mind you at least eliott knows what sex he is....

and he' s the most confused game character I know when it comes to gender
figuring..

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:41
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I Agree!.

Burn them down! All of them! then we will see who' s boss.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:46
How long has this been going on? And what has Team Sony accomplished thus far? Its really becoming a nuicense, at least Team Kikizo was managed within a single thread only time it crept out was when somone was curious as to when another would be on...

I dunno if I' d wanna join " Team Sony" as it seems the initiation requires a castration plus the ability to shove 2/3 of Sony' s origional PS3 controller concept up your own rectum. Once that task is done you then devote your time to the internets version of " Telemarketing" .

I think I' ll stay with Team Kikizo as it will consists of mulitplatform players. Plus I get to keep my balls and the backside is still in one peice.

Gaiden BLACK
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:47

Team Sony is biased

what is biased about it...........itz JUST A NAME by the way any1 can join regardless of what console you have although

Team Kikizo has a Sony section in it

tell me HOW many people have played a sony game online in TEAM KIKIZO? all i hear is

" wats ur gamertag" and

" are you coming on for GRAW"

i wouldnt even mind a GAME of smash bros melee on CUBE WHERES THE NON XBOX love arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:48
How many members of Team Sony has been added to your PS3s friendslist?

dasher232
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:48
Off topic but i' m surprised how much saints row is been advertised here almost every channel I turn onto there' s a sain' t add.....mostly mtv though. Yeah back on topic tiz .

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:49

WHERES THE NON XBOX love arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

the Wii is that way ->
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Gaiden BLACK
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:51

ORIGINAL: Mass X

itz not JUST PLAYSTATION it can be anything PC DS PSP etc TEAM SONY is just the name because i didnt want a NAME like TEAM KIKIZO 00012

Tiz
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:52

ORIGINAL: Gaiden BLACK

ORIGINAL: Mass X

itz not JUST PLAYSTATION it can be anything PC DS PSP etc TEAM SONY is just the name because i didnt want a NAME like TEAM KIKIZO 00012

And team sony is the best you could come up with??

I am this close to telling you to sh...

I won' t say it..

dasher232
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:53
They' re just consolist.....the bastards.

Gaiden BLACK
RE: Can the PS3 save Sony? - Aug 31, 2006 06:54

I am this close to telling you to sh...

phew i dont think i could take another one of your SMART ass comments.

EUROGAMERS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all hail GC 2006

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 50