Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 27, 2006 19:35
Okay so it was obvious this was going to happen but the HD version of Gran Turismo 4 that we saw at E3 is the next iteration of the series and not GT5.

Seeing as GT3 was just a fancy GT2 the fact that they' re pulling the same stunt again is laughable.

Saying that, the game DOES look stunning and will run in 1080p and at 60fps and will support 12 (instead of 6) cars on the track and will have loading times of around 5 seconds.

Obviously the only way to achieve those things is to simply upgrade an aging PS2 title but if the content is the same, Forza 2 and GTR could provide some really quite serious competition to the driving game crown.

Original Article

EDIT: Added 2 official 1080p screenshots. (note that in the 2nd the crowd looks terrible)

< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 27 Aug 06 11:38:59 >

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 27, 2006 19:50
Well it probably looks a lot better in motion,but those pictures was horrible,why even show them?
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 27, 2006 23:04
it is a ps2 game in 1080p, sony are just realiseing this to prove they can have games in 1080p.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 27, 2006 23:59
Sad. I still can' t believe people waited in line at E3 to play this game.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 02:37
Shame on them.

uumai
  • Total Posts : 1363
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 03:26
Dismal...
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 04:44
it seems (from that article at least) that they will update graphics to show the power of PS3.

I don' t think it' s just adding 1080p ...

Quez - those screens look just as bad as the demo Sony showed at E3 in motion (it lasts forever - it' s so fuckin long)

If it' s just the resolution though ...they totally suck.Now that I think about it , they suck already, so why should they care? :)

Sad. I still can' t believe people waited in line at E3 to play this game.

Our species can be so fuckin stupid at times...

Tim Strickland
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 06:18
Wow, because the greatest thing a company can do is upscale imagery to show how bland a 3 year old game looks, huh? It' s like running an emulator on your PC and upscaling those graphics.....except you have to pay around 700 bucks for this one.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 08:24
The PS3 may be able to cure cancer, but it sure can' t do good graphics. PS3 is teh suk.

Nitro
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 08:28
Joe, you know HDTV technology, ...how big of a deal will 1080p games be on PS3?! I mean, will the difference between 720p or 1080i and 1080p be that significant?!

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 09:09
It is nice but it won' t be mindblowing over 1080i... just a bit more stable looking.

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 09:15

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

Joe, you know HDTV technology, ...how big of a deal will 1080p games be on PS3?! I mean, will the difference between 720p or 1080i and 1080p be that significant?!

No. Unless you have a gigantor HDTV that' s like 50" or bigger you aren' t going to see a difference unless you get right up tot he screen. My friend sells HDTVs and we' ve checked a ton out. I' m partial to the HP models. Those things are slick.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

uumai
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 09:16
I don' t get it, really why? I expect some major update to the gfx, gt4 was done on tech that is years and years old... I never got into the series, not much of a racing sim fan, but sony should complain, this isn' t a good advertisment for their system.

NiGHTS into Dreamcast

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 09:45

I don' t get it, really why? I expect some major update to the gfx, gt4 was done on tech that is years and years old... I never got into the series, not much of a racing sim fan, but sony should complain, this isn' t a good advertisment for their system.

If it wasnt for bad advertisment they may not have any.

Personally I dont care for racing sims but GT was a decent game, however I dont see why you would pay $60(or more) for an updated version of a game you already have.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Nitro
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 10:13

but sony should complain, this isn' t a good advertisment for their system.

Polyphony Digital is a Sony owned 1st party studio. This IS Sony' s game, they' re doing it to themselves.

The funny thing is that GT4 already supports 480p and 1080i so what' s the big deal with this?! It' d have to have some serious improvements right?!

I' ve never liked the series but i' ve always been able to see WHY people liked it. I did buy and do own GT4 and it is a really attractive game but 1080p still isn' t going to make it better than PGR3 (which has a seriously fucked up resolution - upscaled from 1024x600).

I think at the very least the road detail, crowds, environment textures and lighting need work to stand up against other driving games. Especially since this isn' t exactly likely to get a budget price release.

]GaNgStA[
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 17:03

Polyphony Digital is a Sony owned 1st party studio. This IS Sony' s game, they' re doing it to themselves.

They have become a second party dev for sony - they' re no longer internal.That doesn' t change much , but just to clear things :)

I loved the first GT game - it was a true revolution in the genre.After that it' s always the same but with new visuals.Races need improvement to be more challenging and fun.

kaoru
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 19:41
Yeah, GT4 HD was just the vision they wanted to pull out since Vision GT was fisrt shown on E305, but Kazonuri Yamaouchi stated that GT HD is just the title that will use the power of the PS3 and HD-tv high-resolution 1080p....ect, and that the next installment of GT5 will use the next-gen treatment, in that case I' ll wait till GT5 is out, buying GT HD is like buying another copy of GT4.

uumai
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 20:54

I' m aware it' s part of sony... but i' m sure someone up in sony could say, look morons, no one wants a better res version of gt4, not surely for the £50-£60 they will probably charge.

Heck someone took a streets of rage game to sega (from sega) in the dc life time - i remember the news around - and sega said no to it, it wasn' t the right genre anymore, or something...
< Message edited by uumai -- 28 Aug 06 12:56:25 >
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Nitro
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 21:05

ORIGINAL: uumai

I' m aware it' s part of sony... but i' m sure someone up in sony could say, look morons, no one wants a better res version of gt4, not surely for the £50-£60 they will probably charge.

Heck someone took a streets of rage game to sega (from sega) in the dc life time - i remember the news around - and sega said no to it, it wasn' t the right genre anymore, or something...

Granted, but if it' s called Gran Turismo HD and not Gran Turismo 4 HD then how will the masses see it?!

They' ll be like " Sweet! A new GT game! Party time! Excellent!" ...or something...

They won' t realise it' s GT4 running in 1080p with maybe some new effects and cars. They' ll think it' s the next GT and hand over the money.

(note that GTHD could very well turn out looking seriously next gen, right now it needs work but it' s not like they' re changing tons of stuff, all of their effort will go to making it worth buying, ...surely)
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 28 Aug 06 13:05:25 >

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 28, 2006 23:59
Sure it' s gonna look better, but what' s new? Graphics? We all know the ps3 will eventually turn out good graphics, (it' s only a matter of time now) but how long do they think they can keep turning out recycled garbage like this?

uumai
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 29, 2006 00:04
I' d hope for the image of the ps3, that PD go ahead and make some major visual upgrades and some new content, and the online that was surely lacking from the release of gt4 (did they eventually include it?). This game is Sony' s flagship racing game, it has to have what it takes to compete with other racing games available at the same time. If it will be just a 1080p GT4 then there is no chance.

I guess when they said that it' d come out not long after launch (or something) this was their idea. Spend years on a new one and re-release GT4 on ps3...

NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Evil Man
  • Total Posts : 1441
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 30, 2006 10:34
Gran Turismo sucks.

]GaNgStA[
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 30, 2006 20:27
I' m [retty sure it will be online and with upgraded visuals (there' s a GT4 Online beta that they' ve been testing for a while).I' d say GTHD is a launch title - it needs some visual upgrades and implementing the Online mode that' s already done.

Alejandro Rodriguez
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 31, 2006 04:36
wow i played gt4 it was rly good i liked most of the cars but a good racing game is a game with alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of cars to choose from with courses so sharp and narrow with a few straightaways (if anyone is uessing yes i am tlkin about initial d if u dnt knw what it is research it on this website ;) , http://go2id.net/main.php).
Alejandro Rodriguez

Nitro
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 31, 2006 04:39
**cough** The Initial D series sucks! **cough**

]GaNgStA[
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 31, 2006 05:06
I really liked the anime series :)

Is this game any good? I thought it' s some anime based crap...

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 31, 2006 06:56

Gran Turismo had an anime series? really, was it something like the tansformers?
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

uumai
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 31, 2006 09:09

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

Is this game any good? I thought it' s some anime based crap...

I had a friend who liked the arcade game, i have the ps2 game and it sucks ass. never watched the anime but saw the movie a while back, it was ok.
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 31, 2006 09:39
This game will probably sell for less. Later in the life of ps3 I can see this being bundled in with the console.

Papado
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 31, 2006 14:09
Grand Turismo is Sony' s joke to racing fans. I can not believe I once considered it a good racing series. Almost everything about the game is broken, making the end experince much more frustrating than it ever is fun: " OOH, i will just take my million dollar sports car and attempt this wide turn at fifty miles per hour; the one a prius should be able to do without any particular hassle. Now if I could only... no, don' t run into the wall, i wanted you to; maybe i should just try it again. Now this time i will just... oh, you found a tree; that' s nice." And so forth. Not to mention that you are " racing" against yourself most of the time, since you AI cohorts somehow manage to do even worse than you, ending up face first in some tires, or a tree, or a bunch of other cars causing an inxplicable pileup which you of course can' t escape so why not start the race over?... Pass! I bought an xbox 360 with PGR3 a few days ago and it opened my eyes; I thought " My god, finally, the way sports cars are meant to behave!" On top of all this, Grand Turismo doesn' t even have Ferraris, Lamborghinis,or many other famous brands. Who needs it? Viva PGR, viva Forza, Viva Microsoft!

Warning: viva Mocrosoft is a trademar of the Microsoft tm. Corporation and all of it' s subsidiaries. Violating copyright laws may lead to legal action or severe personal injury, ie. loss of mobility, sight, hearing, thought proceses through means of decapitation, thumbs, arms, knees, and/or all other bodily appendages.
< Message edited by papado -- 31 Aug 06 6:12:17 >

]GaNgStA[
RE: Gran Turismo HD becomes actual game - Aug 31, 2006 16:53
I' ll wait to see Forza 2 in 60fps , but as much as I agree on GT I dislike Forza even more.