Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think...

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
  • Reward points : 0
Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 26, 2006 15:54
Hate all you want on Rockstar, but if you read up on their upcoming title Bully for PS2 you' ll be rather surprised on how much they are putting into it.

-Fully explorable town and school

-Hundreds of unique characters you can interact with anyway you choose (litterally their own names and personalities)

-A full on seasonal weather system. You go thru an entire school year with day and night cycles plus the inclusion of seasons fall-winter and so on. This will also include holidays in which the enviroment will reflect.

-A rather robust risk and reward/consequnces system in place.

-A simple yet interesting fighting method. Other games designate a strong and weak attack to 2 different buttons. What they did is made a single button for both. Tap for weak Hold for strong. Certain sequences will allow for combos (tap tap hold tap etc) almost like a morse code system for button mashers.

-Your day will consists of 2 class periods, lunch and free time (4pm-curfew) You have a choice if you even wanna attend class at all. Be wary as teachers and principals will take note and punish you accoredenly if caught. And if you do attend you will be rewarded with minigames a plenty and upgrades to your character. (EX: Go to english class to learn some new ways to interact with other people. Mini game include a word jumble type thing.)

-Which leads us to the classes: English, Chemistry, Auto Shop, Gym(ever wonder about NES' Super Dodge Ball) , Photography (yearbook photo feature) and Art. Each has its own minigame with various levels.

-And so much more that my lazy ass is to tired to talk about.

Even with all the freedom and wreckless nature you can put forth on just about anyone this game still seems tame enough for maybe just barely getting a ' T' rating. The fights altho can get violent will never lead to bloodshed and arent just beating bodies with baseball bats.

Once this game comes out and people actually see what its all about. Those critics are gonna feel pretty fuckn retarded. Sure they will try and persue it in other ways but there really isnt much to debate about this game. You cant attack teachers and if you hurt girls or younger children you will be in a whole shitload of trouble. This game is a strangly good mix of sociol interaction with NPCs and brawler that makes it come out rather nicely.

After reading the 5 page preview in Game Informer I conclude that its gonna be a mis of Fable, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and GTA.

Rockstar haters, critics and fans will certianly see this title as somthing more then meets the eye (in thebest possible meaning of it). Sadly tho I think this game will not achieve the status of other Rockstar games out there. Read up on it get informed be surprised. I want this game to fair well in hopes of getting a next gen sequal or at the very least a next gen remake. I may even go out and buy my own PS2 just for a go at this game.

kaoru
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 26, 2006 16:31
Bully seem' s like a recreation of Manhunt and State of emergency this title is not that intresting to me but it might to some of you Rockstar fan. Any case I heard that the Microsoft is not into this game as well so it looks like a Sony exclusive, because of the intense violence MS will not be adding this game in it' s collection.

uumai
  • Total Posts : 1363
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 26, 2006 17:54
Im not really a fan of rockstar, but the game has caught my eye and i will give it a try to see what it' s like... i hope the control scheme is good, gta' s sucked ass.
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 27, 2006 07:48

Bully seem' s like a recreation of Manhunt and State of emergency this title is not that intresting to me but it might to some of you Rockstar fan.

Wrong with just about all those words. Read about it and stop listening to Jack Thompson. The violent is actually very underwhelming...did you even read what I wrote?

uumai
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 27, 2006 08:05

ORIGINAL: Mass X

Bully seem' s like a recreation of Manhunt and State of emergency this title is not that intresting to me but it might to some of you Rockstar fan.

Wrong ......did you even read what I wrote?

LOL - I read it at least, but had read some stuff about it before hand. I really hope the game turns out to be something good, i am glad there isn' t such a crime/gta theme going through it. It' s nice to be a good(ish) guy.

I really fail to see how this game is like manhunt and state of emergency, beyond the fact they are rockstar games.... Do you stalk and kill people violently? run around the city causing as much havoc as you can? no, and no again i suppose... I guess it' s not like those 2 games then... silly me
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 27, 2006 08:26
Bully looks amazing. I' ve been waiting for this for so long now and i think it' ll be very well recieved. The GTA series gets retarded critism from the press and while i don' t quite like the games myself i' ve always noted that they have been huge technical achievements and opened up new doors. I loved Manhunt, i thought it was pure genius and everything from the atmosphere to the art direction and overall visual (grainy) presentation was excellent and Table Tennis is one of my favourite 360 titles so far. I like Rockstar.

I half expected Bully to be cancelled amidst the ton of bad press the GTA games (complete with the lawsuits and the hot coffee scandal) and it' s nice to see the company have dug their heels in and refused to be intimidated.

Bully is evidently tamer than the GTA games and yet holds so much more promise and appeal. It may deserve the same kind of critical response but it' ll defnately get it, especially from the education authorities.

Anyway, i' m really looking forward to this game, i wonder what the soundtrack will be like...

Is it still releasing on Xbox or is it only PS2 now?!

Evil Man
  • Total Posts : 1441
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 27, 2006 08:29
What was impressive about GTA?

No really I' d like to know.

Nitro
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 27, 2006 08:37

ORIGINAL: Evil Man

What was impressive about GTA?

No really I' d like to know.

The scale of it, the night and day cycles, the whole sandbox concept, the fact that they modelled part of a city in 3D and had a game that was mostly exterior locations at a time when most games felt very claustrophbic.

Sure it was full of bugs and glitches and the entire premise was pathetic but on PS2 it was a technical achievement. Same on PSP, recreating the entire thing in handheld form.

Shit games but technical achievements upon their releases.

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 27, 2006 08:44
I always hated GTA serie,i became very glad that its coming to 360,so i dont have to sound as a fanboy for trashing the serie.

AND YES ofc i will check out GTA4 and see how it is.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Evil Man
  • Total Posts : 1441
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 27, 2006 08:46
I played morrowind before GTA and frankly was not impressed at all with GTA.

Nitro
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 27, 2006 08:47
Yeah, Morrowind was awesome. Perhaps i should say that GTA3 was a technical achievement for a console game.

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 27, 2006 08:48
Yes,i was extremly impressed on how good it looked and open ended the first time i saw it at my friend,i was very envy at his ps2 and gta3 at that time.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 27, 2006 09:35
ah Gta is mindless Fun. gets boring after a while as at the core, each game is the same [alltough Vice city is still my fav.]

GTA4 will have to make some major gameplay changes, while still keeping the gta style present.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 27 Aug 06 1:37:02 >
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

uumai
RE: Bully - A game w/ more depth then you' d think... - Aug 28, 2006 23:58

Oddly-named protest group Peaceaholics, a longtime opponent of Rockstar' s Bully, staged a protest over the game outside a New York City Best Buy Friday. An intrepid YouTube journalist going by the even odder handle of " The Software Pirate" took some video of the event, which included hand-made signs and catchy chants patterned after modern songs involving bananas (I wish I was kidding).

The group seems to have its heart in the right place -- one member talks of witnessing youth violence in DC -- but talk calling Rockstar " worse than terrorists" seems a little overblown to us. The group also seems to be under the mistaken impression that games are rated by the FCC and that selling violent games to children is illegal. But hey, who needs facts when you have catchy chants?
Joystiq.

NiGHTS into Dreamcast