Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently?

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
  • Reward points : 0
Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 20, 2006 20:56
Did I miss an announcment about the BC list being updated or just completely missed these games all together:

Flatout
The Punisher
Dreamfall
Silent Hill 4
Fatal Frame

--I havent played Fatal Frame or Dreamfall but heard they were good and I already know the others were quite enjoyable. I wouldve definatly rented them had I spotted them on the list before. But thats the thing I dont recall ever seeing them there. I just randomly checked today and saw that.

Current List

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 20, 2006 23:08
hmmm... dont to many people care...
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 20, 2006 23:33
No, they' re from the last update. Fatal Frame is kickass but it' s a shame they 2nd isn' t on the list yet too. Silent Hill 4 has some issues with the CG cutscenes and the characters look like they' re melting, but the game itself is fine.

The list needs updating soon though because i' m sick of not being able to play DoAU, Conker and Strangers Wrath!

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 20, 2006 23:44
Where is our Shenmue2?
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 00:54
this backwards C thing for the xbox is flawed.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

QuezcatoL
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 00:56
Sony has already made fun of this by saying-" that' s not a backwards compatible console" after checking the list.

Adam Doree
  • Total Posts : 1113
  • Reward points : 46250
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 02:29
I really, really wish they would make Shenmue 2 and OutRun2 B-C.

uumai
  • Total Posts : 1363
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 02:56

ORIGINAL: Adam Doree

But, but but.... Shenmue 2 on xbox was in ENGLISH!!! It was so much better in Japanese. I thought originally the game was to have every nationality speaking their own language.. China - mandarin or cantonese / Japan - Japanese, so on and so forth. That would have been cool.
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 03:20
Yes, that would' ve been cool.

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 05:24

unless it' s the shitty coast2coast though - the first Xbox Outrun game was so much better...

Sony is right - 360 isn' t backwards compatible - most games have serious issues - games among those called compatible I mean.

Those bastards at Sony know how important it has always been so this time they' ll do it right as always , they even want to release a special memorycard reader to transfer your save states form PS2 memory card.

Nitro
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 05:26
Go HERE to see what games have what issues and what issues the games previously had have been fixed already.

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 05:29

Sony has already made fun of this by saying-" that' s not a backwards compatible console" after checking the list.

Which is actually kind of funny, since the PStwo isnt compitable with all PS2 games or PSone games!

I seem to remember the PS3 will use some emulation as well as hardware, though i might be mistaken!

Nitro
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 05:34

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Which is actually kind of funny, since the PStwo isnt compitable with all PS2 games or PSone games!

I seem to remember the PS3 will use some emulation as well as hardware, though i might be mistaken!

Originally that was the plan. Now it' s going to be handled via the CPU/GPU combo chip found in the slimline PS2' s so it should be pretty much spot on.

They' ll likely move to emulation further down the line and remove the hardware and free up some space in the unit so they can shrink it' s size some.

QuezcatoL
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 05:45
Majik i got a question.

Before that,welcome home from Greece
Nice to have you back pal,but you havnt been online for a long time,btw im getting n3 next week!

ANyway to my question...

IF ps3 and xbox360 is basically the same when it comes to power,what kind of advantage is really 1080p?

I mean if i have the same pc as my friend and he plays in 1920' 1080 and i 1280' 720 its A) gonna lead him to lagg or drop in frame rate.
B) force him to downgrade the graphic in some settings like textures,right?

Nitro
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 05:59

IF ps3 and xbox360 is basically the same when it comes to power,what kind of advantage is really 1080p?

Well 360 does 1080i so it' s the same kind of comparison as 4801/480p and 720i/720p or even 720p/1080i.

When you look at 720p vs 1080i, 1080i is slightly sharper but 720p is much smoother. I play in 720p when i could play in 1080i, it' s just my preference.

The thing that you need to take into account is how few games will be 1080p on PS3. Sony are supposedly FORCING Kojima to make MGS4 1080p but many other developers are saying 720p/1080i will be the norm. It' s all well and good to show GT4 running in 1080p (and it DID look nice) but i doubt 1080p will be popular amongst developers for a few years. Maybe in 4 years or so most games will be in 1080p, it' s nothing to worry about right now.

Ofcourse, it only really applies to those who have a 1080p capable display. If a game ran in 1080p and you played it at that resolution then yeah it' d look sharper than 360 games running in 720p, but it wouldn' t be sharper than 360 games running in 1080i, only smoother. At least, that' s how i understand it. Joe would probably be the person to ask as he' s far more knowledgable than i.

QuezcatoL
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 06:00
My tv support 1080i

And my VGA cable is on its way.

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 06:11
I can tell you that - there' s only one minor advantage - it' s that 1080p displays will have their native signal from PS3.Most games will be in 720 , but will be upscaled to 1080p (thanks to the hard working GPU) , but in the end result , your native 1080p TV will get the best signal it can get, so it won' t have to upscale it itself.

Another advantage is displaying HD movies in itheir native resolution (1080p) and deep color palette (HDMI 1.3).

The thing is , Movie studios think that 1080p is the true HD.

So as you can tell by now - 1080p is nice for people with 1080p tv' s and those who care about Blue-Ray movies.

And if some game (like LAIR by Factor 5) is going to run in 1080p , it' s going to be less detailed or in 30fps, or both.
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 20 Aug 06 22:12:45 >

Nitro
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 06:14

I mean if i have the same pc as my friend and he plays in 1920' 1080 and i 1280' 720 its A) gonna lead him to lagg or drop in frame rate.
B) force him to downgrade the graphic in some settings like textures,right?

Yeah, pretty much, i mean running i a higher resolution will put more strain on the processor and so developers may have to scale back on texture detail or effects to keep the framerate steady at 1080p. You might see nicer textures in 360 titles but slightly crisper edges in PS3 titles, it' s still a little early to tell, although FEAR on PS3 looks terrible (maybe it' ll be 1080p?!).

With the hardware being so young and developers having problems coding for it i think aiming for 1080p would be a little adventerous and will likely be avoided if possible (unless Sony demand it).

Before that,welcome home from Greece
Nice to have you back pal,but you havnt been online for a long time,btw im getting n3 next week!

It' s good to be back actually. It was really REALLY hot but i didn' t exactly have as much fun as i thought i would. Unfortunately i' m working all week so i' ll only be online in the evenings (although i may be able to post here throughout the day from work, i just won' t be on Live until i get in).

I noticed that Dead Rising and N3' s release dates were virtually switched. That sucks, as i' m still not 100% about N3 yet and Dead Rising is a must have. I' ll probably get N3 when it' s released though, i NEED new games and i have bought Hitman to keep me going (it' s better than Contracts).

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 06:17
SUMMER SANTA!!!

Also, for this BC list, where' s my Otogi 1 and 2 in hi-def, Ninja Gaiden looks
like a frikkin semi next-gen title on HD, so I REEallY wanna see an Otogi update..

Also, where' s my Spider-Man 2??

There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Nitro
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 21, 2006 07:06

ORIGINAL: Tiz

SUMMER SANTA!!!

Just let me know if you need any more or if you' re Live membership runs out! Unfortunately, i got some MS Points for Rampage too but the codes didn' t work. They must be region specific. Still, they' ll no doubt come in handy at this end.

QuezcatoL
RE: Was the Backward Compatible List updated recently? - Aug 22, 2006 02:14
N3 has gotten crappy score,but some reviewers like in gamedaily/gamespy has tried to explain and try to stop the total bashing with the game by saying.
Its a better dynasty warrior with better frame-rate/graphic and a lot more enemies and better control.

However is these kind of hacn-slash game really something that is for next-gen?
Can' t they evolve the genre?

Which i think is a lame way to trash the game on.
The graphic is amazing,the control is great there is fucking tons of goblin at screen like 1k at a time.

The question is,do you wanna follow a cheesy story for like 30-40 hours just hitting the x+y buttong like crazy.