Bad Bad Idea MS

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 16, 2006 20:54
I can only imagine where this can lead!

The article is about buying consumebles with your gamer points, say you buy potions that you use in game for real money.
< Message edited by VX Chemical -- 16 Aug 06 13:00:00 >

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 16, 2006 21:01
I think as long as it doesn' t affect anything major it should be fine. I only hope
it' s optional otherwise IT IS a bad idea.
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Vx Chemical
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 16, 2006 21:07
Well i hope it wont get abused! the examples they give in the article doesnt comfort me at all!

Gaiden BLACK
  • Total Posts : 675
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 16, 2006 21:08

<----------------------------------------------- why is this pic soooooooo chooooog
Rest in PEACE Cetra and GANGSTA you guys will be missed..........

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 16, 2006 21:11
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 16, 2006 23:30
That idea is not gonna go down well at all. Actually that' s a terrible idea! Unless the idea was mis-interpretted this is simply horrible.

Vx Chemical
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 00:10

That idea is not gonna go down well at all. Actually that' s a terrible idea! Unless the idea was mis-interpretted this is simply horrible.

I agree

Bishonen
  • Total Posts : 1718
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 01:38
...it' s the future of gaming..

....and it will take off because morons with more cash than sense will pay for this crap *coughworldofwarcraftcoughcough*.....
Currently accepting Article & Review requests

Vx Chemical
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 02:28

*coughworldofwarcraftcoughcough*.....

its nothing like pay to play! If you think WoW is silly, paying for xbox live is just as silly!

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 03:19
Paying for Xbox live is paying for an entire service, including online play with all the Xbox titles.
WoW is ONE game. ONE.

Vx Chemical
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 03:22

Paying for Xbox live is paying for an entire service, including online play with all the Xbox titles.
WoW is ONE game. ONE.

Im not complaining about paying for it! I dont see why people complain about shelling out 14,95$ for one month of play time, its nearly as many hours of entertainment as you want. How many times can you go to the movies for 14,95$ barely one?

ginjirou
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 03:32
You' re comparing with cinemas which you shouldn' t as it' s a " live" event such as a theater or a ballet.
Compare the game to a DVD-movie. You pay once for the DVD-movie, and once for a regular game.
The Xbox Live service is an extra service to the Xbox/360 and so a fee is only natural (even though I dislike it).
WoW (MMO' s) however, first charges you for the game.
And then they charge you again and again and again for a service that' s a free feature with most other games.
Keeping servers costs money? Yeah, but many other games manage. The developers should' ve gotten enough money from the initial software sales to keep the servers running for free.
And a question, if Guild Wars is free, why not WoW?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 16 Aug 06 19:34:04 >

Vx Chemical
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 03:46

And then they charge you again and again and again for a service that' s a free feature with most other games.
Keeping servers costs money? Yeah, but many other games manage. The developers should' ve gotten enough money from the initial software sales to keep the servers running for free.
And a question, if Guild Wars is free, why not WoW?

The charge you for the servers, and no other game require that extensive amount of server capacity, also most pc games have few servers run by companies they are run by guilds and such. Remember Blizzard has servers in the US, in Europe, in China, in Korea.

They have extensive support, and updates, a thing that Guild Wars doesnt have to the same degree, the amount of additional content that Blizzard have added to WoW is impressive, and what most other developers (SOE) would be selling as expansion packs instead!

If you think they have gotten enough money to let people play for free for 5-8 years, by just the price of the game you are gravely mistaken, it takes hundreds of man hours each month just to update and patch the game, even more if you include DM' s server technicians, customer support. No the price of the game has payed for the 5 years its taken to develop World of Warcraft.

You pay 14,95 for as much entertainment as you want each month, with new content also added nearly every months, which often takes more time than a month to fully explore to all except the most hardcore players.

I really think its fair to pay for the game, and Blizzard deserves every penny they get, WoW is a MMO master piece, im not fond of games like that, but i had fun with WoW, i dont play it much anymore because of time issues, but still its a good game

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 03:50
I pay 80 dollar per year for XBL.
Its like 1/4 of what you have to pay for wow each year.

However with XBL i can use voice message/voice chatt and gameplay.

And yes i want lower cost,but i still want a fee.
If wow was free you would have around 10% dickheads who would only ruin the game experience,trust me.

Same with XBL.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

ginjirou
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 03:54
Rough calculation:
Guild Wars for five years = $50
WoW for five years = $650

If WoW costs that much compared to Guild Wars it should be the best damn game ever made and Guild Wars should be the worst game ever made. But that' s not the case. Nothing can motivate the difference in cost. I don' t care what manpower, servers and support costs.
Anyone can make a game great if they take fee' s for it. It' s not hard to make an expensive game. But to make a great, big game like Guild Wars AND keep it free, that' s impressive.
I think it' s stupid to pay a monthly fee for a single game. I can' t blame Blizzard for taking the opportunity to earn some cash. What I don' t like are the jackasses who actually fall for it when there are free alternatives.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 16 Aug 06 19:56:35 >

Vx Chemical
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 04:04
Did you at all read what i said?

Have you even played either game?

Are you so clueless that you think they can run a game as massive as WoW for free? There is a reason for it costing money, because as everyone else they dont want to work for free! Is it unfair for you to pay for the TV that you watch over satelite each month? or should the people at the network just keep it for the registration fee that you gave? or maybe for the money you paid for the dish and decoder, its the same thing, pay to play, pay to view!

Guild Wars is no where near the scope of WoW its more like Diablo, which is free!

ginjirou
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 04:10

Are you so clueless that you think they can run a game as massive as WoW for free?

Yeah I am, obviously
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 16 Aug 06 20:10:53 >

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 04:11
Lol .....^ ^ what a simple answer.

Vx Chemical
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 04:14

Yeah I am, obviously

if it wasnt ironic, i would have been satisfied. WoW is a massive machinery the requires loads of upkeep. Hence the cost to play!

QuezcatoL
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 04:54
Yes it does,but imba shaman was never balanced when i played so i quited.-
Wow was to expensive for me and shaman to imba.
No im not a wow expert,and im not a rich guy,bye!

Vx Chemical
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 05:07
Seems to me like Classes are fairly equal as it is now Shadow Priests are a bit tough in PVP. But its really the PVE aspects i like! Hell i pay for the game when i hardly play, but i like keeping check on my characters now and then!

QuezcatoL
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 05:21
The dungeon exploration and the big alliance vs horde battles was fun as hell,however i alsmot became addicted to wow,and could play 6-8 hours per day.
And i just feelt that it was a good thing for me to quit wow.

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 05:30
lol go ahead and stick it to M$ they love it

well you just have to love this one ms Chargeing for every dam thing lol good stuff

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 05:38
Lets just say,

you can pick an new MMO[Wow scale in size] game, or a brand new fantastic game [Resident Evil 4 style]

Which would you pick?

Of course you pick the real game!
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Bishonen
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 07:09

You' re comparing with cinemas which you shouldn' t as it' s a " live" event such as a theater or a ballet.
Compare the game to a DVD-movie. You pay once for the DVD-movie, and once for a regular game.
The Xbox Live service is an extra service to the Xbox/360 and so a fee is only natural (even though I dislike it).

...i agree exactly...

...although some points of VX' s argument might be justified.... ...but surely a one off membership charge of, say $30 would be sufficient?.... ...i' d of thought the cost of maintaining servers is neligable at best.....

...here' s a user comment posted at 1up which kinda sums up my opinion on it and how western games are going in general:

Just a time-trap.
The purpose of getting players to level 70 is to give the Blizzard developers time to fix all their problems currently in the game. Such as the f--ked up, extremely simple, PvP system. This game has been developed to make players feel psychologically attracted to the element of " Reaching the next level , then I' ll have fun when I' m (rank14, level 70, 5/8 armor pieces, etc.) In reality, there' s no end. When you finally get that pain-staking level 60, you' re suddenly introduced to another goal... pvp, pve armor sets, etc. The sad truth is folks, the game was made to make money. Blizzard did one hell of a job. Stop feeding them and play a better game.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 11:30
I never used the word wretched before but I' m going to have to use it now. This is the most wretched idea anyone has ever come up with in regards to how gamers can spend their money. If they expect gamers to buy ingame items that are neccessary to compete they are fucking nuts. It' s bad enough that we have to buy shit like horse armor rather then it come with the 70 dollar CD we purchased. But I refuse to play into their scam.

Vx Chemical
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 16:10

Just a time-trap.
The purpose of getting players to level 70 is to give the Blizzard developers time to fix all their problems currently in the game. Such as the f--ked up, extremely simple, PvP system. This game has been developed to make players feel psychologically attracted to the element of " Reaching the next level , then I' ll have fun when I' m (rank14, level 70, 5/8 armor pieces, etc.) In reality, there' s no end. When you finally get that pain-staking level 60, you' re suddenly introduced to another goal... pvp, pve armor sets, etc. The sad truth is folks, the game was made to make money. Blizzard did one hell of a job. Stop feeding them and play a better game.

It is a time trap! ofcourse it is! and i feel sad for the souls that cant break out of it! But really is it much different than any other multiplayer game, there is no reward afterwards except the time you spent there and the fun you had while playing!

Dionysius
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 17:56
Gates recieves a bunch of papers, with various proporsitions (including this one), when he suddenly lifts his head and asks his servant:

-What' s this smell?! Somebody having a barbecue??? No, NO! I know this smell... It smells like MONEY!!!

Ikashiru
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 24890
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 17, 2006 19:04

ORIGINAL: mikayd2

well you just have to love this one ms Chargeing for every dam thing lol good stuff

*sighs* mikayd2, you always seem to turn up mid thread for a quick ' pop' at MS, rather than actually stating an opinion..

The article perhaps stresses the wrong points, or makes them too clearly - developers know that people get annoyed at downloading or paying for too much extra.

This article announces some pretty major changes to XBL if you are going to be able to integrate it into game shop activities - if i was to suggest ideas for this I would sound as bad as the article. But simply from a development perspective this is a very good / interesting option.

I dont think they charge for *everything* anyways. If a game company spends time and money making a game or upgrade would you rather they were not paid for it?

Plus, minus the notorius horse armour - most level packs etc.. have been pretty cheap imho..

Bishonen
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 28, 2006 07:32

It is a time trap! ofcourse it is! and i feel sad for the souls that cant break out of it! But really is it much different than any other multiplayer game, there is no reward afterwards except the time you spent there and the fun you had while playing!

....well there is the small difference of 99.9% of Multiplayer games being free of charge.......

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Bad Bad Idea MS - Aug 28, 2006 08:19

Do you ever state a real opinion other than just bashing Microsoft? Do you think Sony will be any different? The answer is no. If it works Sony will jump on board after catching the scent of money, after all Sony is not against ripping off ideas (Controller motion sensing, unified online structure, 2 SKU' s at launch).

I dont like this idea at all, but it seems that it really wont be as bad as most of you are making it out to be. If there is an ingame monetary system that means that you could get the money the old fashioned game way, while this seems like the alternative for people without the time to invest in a game but still want to beat it. Seems to go hand in hand with expanding to the casual audience.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.