Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Your thoughts on console strategies
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 26 of 26
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Your thoughts on console strategies - Jul 10, 2006 19:50
MS fanboys VS Sony Fanboys yet again :)

I gotta say that I hate both and most arguments here are speculations like

" by the time MGS4 is here 20 AAA titles will be available for 360"

" Sly is boring for consumers"

" Blue-Ray won' t be an advantage in any way"

" 360 will stop selling when PS3 starts doing good"

I think there' s an unhealthy amount of MS fanboism on Kikizo...but it' s just my opinion...hmm maybe I' m just used to Sony fanboys and the ones cheering for MS are somewhat new and more noticable to me :)

< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 10 Jul 06 11:53:33 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Your thoughts on console strategies - Jul 10, 2006 19:52
When i sleep,i have a cape which has a MS windows mark on it.
However this might come as a suprise to evryone at the site,but im pro MS.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Your thoughts on console strategies - Jul 10, 2006 21:40
I think the success of Blu-Ray relies heavily on the backing it has in the industry and how cheap manufacturing costs are. Doesn' t matter how " technologically superior" something is. If it' s expensive to manufacture, it' s expensive for consumers and consumers won' t buy it.

At the moment, Blu-Ray has a fair amount of support behind it. Roughly equal to HD-DVD. But there are a couple of key points where it could spell trouble:

Blu-Ray requires a complete manufacturing overhaul in order to be produced. This means current DVD manufactuing companies have to spend millions purchasing new equipment in order to adopt it. HD-DVD is a natural evolution of DVD and requires very little modification to existing equipment. Cutting costs is a high priority in the business world so there is a strong chance that Blu-Ray could be held up before it even gets to us!

Another point is both Intel and Microsoft have shown support for HD-DVD. When both these huge companies have a hand in things, it could spell trouble for Blu-Ray. They have a massive amount of influence in the industry.

I guess another valid point is the very name. Consumers like the HD prefix on HD-DVD. They are already familiar with DVD and are getting to understand and recognize HD (high definition) so consumers will natually head towards the familiar. Blu-Ray on the other hand sounds like some sort of space age laser beam that the consumer won' t take a second look at. Understanding the consumer is a very important aspect and currently HD-DVD has an advantage here.

But we won' t know until they' re actually here so it could still go either way. But remember Sony have a poor record of launching proprietary formats. Betamax, MiniDisc, Sony Memory Stick, HiFD all failed to grab the mass consumers. It really is terrible. So if they stick to the strategies they' ve been using all along, they' ll probably fail again.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 10 Jul 06 14:05:51 >
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: Your thoughts on console strategies - Jul 10, 2006 23:26
Unlucky says some things i hadn´t heard anyone mentioning like the HD and DVD familiar names.

But that can also be applied to the Playstation brand...most @sshole$ don´t say " console" , they say playstation....if my uncle/grandfather or some other person not so into tech things see me play xbox they will say " he is playing playstation"

Like someone said in other thread...we are the minority...we look for info on videogames, tech specs and care about the future of gaming but most people out there only know about consoles from other people´s experience or even popular rumours.

So PS3 will be strong and every f****** robot out there will be playing it even if it sucks big time.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Your thoughts on console strategies - Jul 11, 2006 03:00
All three companies are doing great stuff. They have slightly different approaches but that' s good. It would be very boring with three companies that gives you the same thing.
All next-gen consoles and current handhelds will be/are worth buying. What you choose to buy first is simply down to taste.
Xtreme

• Total Posts : 272
RE: Your thoughts on console strategies - Jul 11, 2006 04:45
Now that gamefly exists, consoles are a whole lot more inexpensive. Now that I can pay a flat monthly rate and get all the games I can play, I don' t have to worry about purchase costs for anything but the console.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 26 of 26

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message