Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Should Blu-Ray have been optional?
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 41
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 08, 2006 17:07

If the extra space is used for special dvdlike features with high resolutoion artwork and concept stuff on there maybe with stuff about the games testing and the different builds itd be great.

Extra stuff is always great, i guess, but iv never watched any feature on a dvd, and the only game feature i looked at was the Michael Ironside interview on the original splinter cell
Sulphur_Genius

• Total Posts : 28
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 08, 2006 17:19
Then maybe they could put demos of other game on there
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 03:01
NO! No optional! It would only create more confusion for both the consumers and the developers… Also I like things big… Big but little… Y’know what I’m saying?

…Do you?

But I also like cheap… Is it too much to ask for high quality, advanced technology and a nice design for the price of a Pepsi and a snickers bar? Is it, SONY?! [:' (]
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 03:13
Our survey says, ................................................uhg uhhhh!!!!

industrocyberbot23

• Total Posts : 108
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 03:30
I can see I' m going to get a name for myself round here:

Sony are entirely right in putting BluRay in the PS3. How many of you had a DVD player before your PS2? I didn' t.

As I said in another thread, I think Sony and MS will be pumping money into key players in the movie industry and we' re obviously going to see a VHS vs Betamax style battle with HDDVD and BluRay. You don' t win a battle without sending troops onto the field, which I think is exactly what Sony has done here with the PS3.

Of course I' m Xbox commited so I' m probably not gonna buy one :)
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 03:40

Sony are entirely right in putting BluRay in the PS3. How many of you had a DVD player before your PS2? I didn' t.

I did.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 04:10

ORIGINAL: industrocyberbot23

I did. DVD' s were already well established as the newest standard. VHS was breathing it' s dying breaths by the time PS2 launched.

That said, I completely agree with you. This was Sony' s smartest decision.

Morally good? Hell no. But business-wise it was genius. They' ve set themselves up for two industries to perpetually feed each other...IF their strategy works.
Nitro

RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 04:39

I did.

HD films aren' t goig to have the impact that DVD did and i plan on vastly increasing my already insanely large DVD collection once Blu-Ray/HD-DVD causes DVD' s to drop further in price.

Digital distribution will eventually take over anyway, so that' s where the money should have gone to.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 05:04

How many of you had a DVD player before your PS2? I didn' t.

I had a dvd player aswell but that' s not why I didn' t get it it just didn' t appeal to me. I think its good to have a bit of a cusion to fall back on but from what iv' e seen sony' s just gone all out this gen with the risks, but it' s sony so I think they might still manage it somehow.
industrocyberbot23

• Total Posts : 108
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 05:10
haha I guess I was the last one here to get a DVD player then!!!
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 05:15
Lol so it would seem.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 05:19
I never owned a DVD player before Ps2.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 09, 2006 06:04
Me either, well... that' s not entirely true, I did have a DVD player, but I never purchased anything for it, or for that matter, used it at all before my ps2. I definately agree that their Blu-Ray drive is good marketing but it' s just so underhanded. I mean, i know they have to make a living and everything, but, even microsoft and nintendo leave peripherals to be added, and not built into their flagship console.

Imagine, if you will, if Nintendo added their GBA player to the Gamecube, made their wavebird controllers standard, built additional ports for their (for the most part) failed GBA to GC link, and added a DVD player, just because it was bleeding edge, and they though we needed it, and in the process, janking up the price another hundred.

It' s not honest, but then again, it' s not like they' ve been known for their honesty when it comes to the ps3.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 10, 2006 12:01

Digital distribution will eventually take over anyway, so that' s where the money should have gone to.

I agree 100% there. Now that the price/speed/capacity point of hard drives is becoming really competitive (500GB single hard drives are becoming really cheap and we' re well on our way to 1TB single hard drives) digital distribution is the way to go.

Music is already there and movies are already taking their first steps to digital distribution as well.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 11, 2006 00:04
Its going to be a while before we are all downloading 9Gb 360 games, and who knows how large ps3 games. We dont have the broadband support for that and I perfer to have a Disc.

Personaly, blueray does bring up the price, and it is one of the first generation players of Blueray but games will ulmiately Benifit form the extra space. Making it optinal will give you the 360 hdd problem, some will have it, some wont and devolpers will have to limit themselves to those that dont. Those that do wont really benfit from it.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 11, 2006 18:56
I had DVD before ps2 and what' s more , I had a nice TV that was enough to enjoy DVD - if you don' t have an HD TV , Blue Ray has nothing to top DVD playback.

So that' s kinda different (and add to that comments about DVD being established when PS2 launched)

Digital distribution sounds cool for DVD movies , but for HD movies (30GB or more) it' s not that great ...not right now.

Digital distribution has some major problems - compression for one.
MP3 audio is not as good as many people would like their music to be , and it' s taking over CD' s and so on.If you own a great audio system you' re not happy to see MP3 domination.

same goes for movies if they decide to compress them even more.

What HD and Blue ray give you is amazing DTS and DD sound and awesome picture quality.

Internet is to young for true digital distribution without losses
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 11 Jun 06 10:59:24 >
Nitro

RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 11, 2006 22:34
Yeah i agree that digital distribution isn' t exactly the answer for HD content yet (feature length stuff at least), but iTunes, Steam and to a lesser extent XBLM have proven that it' s the way forward.

Obviously some people would still prefer to have a disc, but that' s not something that concerns me. I can only think of " what do i do if i delete XXXX and then want it again?!" as a possible argument against it, and Steam has shown that having a simple account that keeps track of your downloads ensures you never have to pay twice.

Storage space is the other thing, but HDD' s are so cheap now that there' s no real excuse to to have sufficient space.

In the UK, HMV are selling MP3' s digitally (you have to take your MP3 player into the store) per song. That' s something i really like the idea of as companies moving away from manufacturing discs, cases and packaging will only drive the price down, benefiting the consumer.

However, i would appreciate somebody explaining how upscaling normal DVD' s works (I seriously ONLY know games. Video and especially audio connections are a mystery to me). Or do i need to ask Joe?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 11, 2006 23:18
I can tell you what i know, but take it with a grain of salt, seeing as how i don' t own HD anything at the moment. As far as i know, all upscaling does is match the pixel count of your DVD output signal, (mathematically) to the one on your HDTV. Hope that helps you any.

I know that eventually, everyone will switch over to digital distribution, but in the meantime I' m sticking with CD based media. I could download an album off of Yahoo launch, for maybe 12 dollars, but I' d rather go out, get the CD, and actually have the case and sleeve art. I' m just old fashioned that way, I know.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 11, 2006 23:26
I download my music. Ahem, not going to tell you where or how but I do. Its the Way Forward.

Publishers hate me.
Nitro

RE: Should Blu-Ray have been optional? - Jun 12, 2006 03:31

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

I download my music. Ahem, not going to tell you where or how but I do. Its the Way Forward.

Publishers hate me.

Ditto.

It may not be fair on the artist, but i couldn' t give a damn. They make millions anyway.
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 41

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message