Too much online play?

Byakko
  • Total Posts : 599
  • Reward points : 0
Too much online play? - May 28, 2006 11:11
With all the next-gen consoles outfitted with hard drives, and the Xbox basically a computer running a specific OS; I' m kinda surprise that there' s been no console online viruses, which would actually be very potent since I don' t think there' s any Anti-Virus for consoles (besides patch downloads maybe)

Just a thought that maybe playing Online with your console is a wee bit dangerous, or will be, soon. Vicioius console-viruses stealing (not game saves, though possible) but those MP3s and pictures you kept sealed in the hard drive. Or hijacking your Xbox Live accounts, or any other online game you play like FFXI and Phantasy Star.

On the plus side, I can imagine a cool new avenue for BitTorrent...

I' m not saying they' re possible, but I don' t doubt with a little modding, ' online play' would just become another Internet, and then we' re have all the good and the bad.

Kannon
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Too much online play? - May 28, 2006 11:28
Can' t Say I didn' t think about this when I heard that PSO was coming to the Xbox
But as of yet I haven' t heard anything but I also haven' t been looking
I think as long as it is different structures of operation the systems are fine.
Keep it as a console so you can' t catch ITDs

nekkid_monkey
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Reward points : 1280
RE: Too much online play? - May 28, 2006 12:18
I think when it comes to viruses the current structure of the console online environment keeps you far safer than the PC world. There' s no web browsing, plus game makers have a lot more control over what u can add to their games.

Of course that' s going to change when PC gamers and console gamers are finally able to play together onlne....

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Too much online play? - May 28, 2006 17:07
It' s basically impossible to have viruses on consoles because you can' t run homemade programs let alone instal without moding the console.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Too much online play? - May 28, 2006 19:00
There is an online virus that affects every console and PC... BOREDOM! Online gaming was fun for a few days, but it gets old really fast. It' s much more fun to play with actual human beings in the room or in an arcade (if they still existed).

nekkid_monkey
RE: Too much online play? - May 28, 2006 20:02
Agreed. But it' s hard to argue with the success of games like WOW.

Not to mention XBOX Live.

We' ll definitely see even more of a shift toward online gaming this generation. I' m hoping thw Wii will keep the living room alive too.

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
RE: Too much online play? - May 28, 2006 20:18
You know what I think i' m kinda bored with xbl at the moment or just online play, I agree with prefering to play with a physical representaion of a person in your living room. I think I kinda phase in and out of it sometimes I like it sometimes I don' t and am so fed up. But it' s nice to have the option I guess, saying that I do love downloading trailers and demos. As for the virus thing I heard some guy complaining about how he was getting spam mail...but I think that might have been a one off.

f3hunter
  • Total Posts : 821
RE: Too much online play? - May 28, 2006 21:40

There is an online virus that affects every console and PC... BOREDOM! Online gaming was fun for a few days, but it gets old really fast. It' s much more fun to play with actual human beings in the room or in an arcade (if they still existed).

For Pc gamers FPS online games is massive and certainly not boring..

playing VS CPU, Now thats boring..

Obviously playing IE MK:DS with with 3-7 other friends cant be beaten..

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Too much online play? - May 29, 2006 00:21
y' know, as much as i enjoy certain online games, (mostly shooters), i still think it' d be more fun to go out in the woods with a paintball gun and camouflage with some of your friends and have at.

I know some people though who swear that it' s the best thing to happen to gaming since the 2nd analog stick.
I hear ya Joe, arcades really were the best place to play games with other people. Where else can you ride around on shoddily made motorbikes, jet-ski' s, 18-wheelers, and tanks all in one room? Sadly though, there' s just not a place for them in the market anymore, considering half of the games that are in our local arcades now are remnants from the late ninety' s.

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
RE: Too much online play? - Jun 01, 2006 21:33

ORIGINAL: f3hunter

Obviously playing IE MK:DS with with 3-7 other friends cant be beaten..

Internet Exporer Mortal Kombat: Dual Screen?!

nekkid_monkey
RE: Too much online play? - Jun 01, 2006 23:39
hahahaha.