Cell perfect for MMORPG' s?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 56 of 56
QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 30, 2006 15:35
Yes,pgr3 is the best lookin racing game ever seen so far.
Its superior to everything else.

Motorstorm looks likea ps2 title,dont know which ps3 titles you refer to...
Perhaps you mean Heavnly sword that gonna come sometimes 2007?

Thats like comparing it to gears of war 2005,even then GoW looks better.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 30, 2006 16:07

btw its Bizarre not Blizzard

He had me confused there too!

First generation PS3 does not look better than first generation 360, if you have shots to prove it, post them? And by the time the PS3 is out, the visuals on the 360 will simply blow the PS3 away! The only thing that compares to GoW is MGS4, and it wont be out untill late 2007 if not 2008 (if i remember correctly)

Now there might be a few people who dislike Sony here, there a non who so blindly just follows Sony' s way as Cetra does, open your eyes and accept other choices, you might just be happy with it!

I for one decided not to believe Sony themselves since they' ve bullshittet so much in the past! I remember them wanting the PS3 to be able to get back up CPU power over the web, back in the day they were speculating over what it should do!

Cetra
  • Total Posts : 153
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 30, 2006 20:13
well, you " so blindly" ignore half of what i say, so how could you know i follow sony blindly
i dont blindly follow anything, its just that I believe other sources that you dont, and have no reason to say are lying either

Dyack
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 30, 2006 23:44
The cell is in all actuality not a true multi-threaded processor its something else altogether. If there were 2 cell processors in there then we could call it such.

Its basically one power pc core with 8 synergistic processing elements 7 (for ps3). Each spe isn' t multi-threading. The power pc core is where most of the work is done and the rest of the work is spun off to the spe. The excitement over the cell is its amazing raw theoretical power which is what sony was aiming for as Carmack said and he' s most definetly right, but theoretical means nothing its how much of that power can you ACTUALLY bring to the game.

The 360 for example not only has 3 power pc cores, but each power pc core can handle 2 threads. The cell is just one rather complex processor. 2 or 3 cell processors in a future sony console then we are quite possibly in business, but the problem for sony lies in the fact that Microsoft is a software company they will design the hardware as best as they can for the developers to get the most out of the console' s power.

Microsoft will never design something that isn' t taking the developer into consideration as much as possible there are some hardships a dev ultimately has to deal with, but Microsoft' s console will have fewer people tearing their hair out of their heads. We' ll still get great ps3 titles, but there wont be many that can truly make that baby sing. The 360 thanks to the 3 power pc cores is much more well rounded for game code whereas the ps3 is a monster in specific areas. The 360 is a monster in some areas as well, but its more well rounded in most diciplines regarding game code acceleration than the ps3 is.

Don' t get me started on the amazing gpu inside the 360 that has so much potential devs are literally in love with it. I would' ve liked the 360 to have more space on the disc though... that could end up holding the 360 back bigtime unless compression methods improve. Admittedly compression now is going alot more smoothly than it did months before launch when a number of gamers were seemingly pushing 3 discs.

Dyack
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 30, 2006 23:53
Being completely honest while I know mgs4 will look better than what was shown at E3. It was a disappointment compared to what was shown last TGS and the trailer besides the action with raiden was very underwhelming in a number of areas. There are many picky people out there I don' t need to point them out just watch the trailer.

The beginning of the trailer when he' s there sitting down, the graveyard scene, the scene on the helicopter. I expected alot better for the game' s E3 showing it will most likely look much better when its ready though. Gears of War I honestly don' t think MGS4 matched that graphically I didn' t even think it matched Lost Planet for the 360.

It has a long way to go graphically it wasn' t up to the standards Kojima prides himself on. I' m excited about the game, but look at the trailer with a very critical eye you will see numerous graphical imperfections. Kojima made it clear after E3 the game will look much better than that and he was a bit disappointed with the showing.

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 01:49
Cetra, Dyack has strong arguments. If you' d like to prove him wrong then give us some links to those sites where you get information that says something else.

Cetra
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 03:27
http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell3_v2.aspx

There you can see he mentions that cell will be difficult to do some specific tasks for. However, he mentions that this will not be a new type of challenge, as its equally hard to do these tasks for multicore PC' s.

He also mentiones that middleware and programs will be made to make some tasks dont be a problem at all, and these programs will also fool the processor into overcoming the bottlenecks of it.

He also mentions that the SPE' s will do alot of the hard real time programming automatically, so the programmers wont have to worry about this. When cell has all these SPE' s its been stated that developing games to process in all these will be one of the big bottlenecks, well theres the solution.

Based on that, I' d say it pretty much kills the bottleneck hype of the CELL. It states that some tasks will be hard to do for it, but there will be solutions for everything. Maybe this is why the SCE worldwide studio has been established, to help people overcome these bottlenecks. I would suppose they have already made the middleware programs.

-

You can also see the example of the CELL realtime rendering 48 different MPEG2 videos into one single HD screen at the same time, I would like to see if xbox could do this.

You can also see that Linux will be running on it as a core OS, and then you can bring up the question, what is best, linux or windows? I mention this because it was brought up how MS were a software manufacturer that would have privelages developing software for own defined hardware.
< Message edited by Cetra -- 30 May 06 19:32:43 >

ginjirou
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 03:36
Well that sounds promising. Haven' t read the whole article but I will soon.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 30 May 06 19:37:04 >

Vx Chemical
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 04:10

You can also see that Linux will be running on it as a core OS, and then you can bring up the question, what is best, linux or windows? I mention this because it was brought up how MS were a software manufacturer that would have privelages developing software for own defined hardware.

You cant deny that DirectX10, isnt a benefit for the Xbox, since lots of developers are familiar with the platform? Also the Xbox360 isnt running any form of windows!

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 04:18

First generation PS3 does not look better than first generation 360

may be i should say, ps3 launch title look beter than 360 launch titles...

< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 30 May 06 20:25:06 >

Cetra
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 04:38
agree with that, examples are mgs4 and ff13

however, i cant denie that directx is a good thing no, but opengl is kinda ps3' s thing, and it has an advanced new form of opengl the xbox do not, i cant find a link to this sorry, i remember seing it in an interview somewhere, so on the driver part, is the classical directx versus opengl

personally, i' ve never liked directx, its so full of bugs all the time, while the basic idea of it is genious, it never performs to its fullest - theres an own category of humor around direct x among nerds
http://fun.grazz.org/directx9ob.jpg

one other thing i cant deny, is that the cell will indeed be something completely new, developers will not be familiar with anything, but this new platform has so much different kind of potential than x86 standards etc, so i see it as a revolution, so does many others
< Message edited by Cetra -- 30 May 06 20:39:27 >

QuezcatoL
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 05:03
Mgs4 and FF13 is far from launch titles ffs.
And so far,its been no gameplay,just having some menu,which no one used...looked very bizzare.

Pgr3>motorstorm
PDZ>warhawk in graphic.

whats next?

Cetra
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 07:20
however they are titles put in production before 1st generation is even out

QuezcatoL
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 08:11
Yes?
Same with gears of war,bioshock or mass effect.

Vx Chemical
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 18:33
Im afraid their beyond reach! I think their world might just fall a part if they realize Sony isnt Ãœbergod!

ginjirou
RE: Cell perfect for MMORPG' s? - May 31, 2006 18:40
I think some of the PS3 games look very promising but the thing is that while some look great the rest looks like crap.
I think that shows that the developers have problems with the PS3.
The biggest studios with the best developers manage to create pretty good results but the rest can' t get it working as they could get 360 games working.
The PS3 will probably have a few elite titles that looks awesome, better than 360 games, but I think most of the PS3 games will look mediocre.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 31 May 06 10:42:09 >

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 56 of 56