only 1 not impressed

Rock_Howard
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 10:20
Sure there are games that look great for the next gen consoles. Its just there doesnt seem to be anything that completely blows me away. Am I the only one feeling this way?

lotusson
  • Total Posts : 1212
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 11:05
yes

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 11:06
yup...

Rock_Howard
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 11:20
okay, maybe impressed was the wrong word.

Okay how about there is nothing that makes me go " OMFG! I MUST GET THAT!!!!"

by the way I do realize that this gen of games has just started.

vdig
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 11:41
I' m sorry. There are games that are pure hype already shown at E3 - it just won' t be released anytime soon. Said games are different for different types of gamers. I myself lean to Wii' s triple threat of Zelda and Mario, but especially Smash. Perhaps you are wondering if there was a " killer app" at the show. In that regard, the killer app does not exist as software yet. The closest to a killer app this E3 is the Wii, but that is hardware, and therefore does not count. So in a sense, I think I know where you are coming from... sorta.
You wa Shock!!!

Rock_Howard
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 12:44
My great decrease in , for lack of a better word, intrest in this generation may also be from the interference of new things in life:

Getting a my drivers licence (Going to driveing school for that matter).

getting a car

getting a job

I liked the super smash brothers games but never enough to buy them. Same goes for the halo games. although DOA4 looks excellent I really like 2d fighters better (KOF). The racing games have nice graphics but i' m so bad i wont pick up the controller. The fact that I am a bit more concerned about spending money also influences my view greatly.

Don' t get me wrong there are many games that I want to play but so far none that
I want to spend all that money on.

stephen ashaley
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 13:06
it' s very good for u to show ur consence but the reason why u don' t want to spend on them his that u really get borad on them,i got something that u may like if u really want to hear me out with my plan for u plz contact me them for answers
hello friends today

Game Junkie
  • Total Posts : 708
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 13:27
You don' t sound like a real gamer to me, maybe you should just pursue other interests.

If none of these games interest you then forget about it:

Huxley
UT 2007
Spore
Halo 3
Fable 2
Kotor 3
Mass Effect
Elveon
The Darkness
Gears of War
Super Smash Bros, 3
Lair
Mercanaries 2
Alone in the Dark
BattleFiels 2142
Quake Wars
Zelda: Twilight Princess
FF 13
Virtual Fighter 5
MGS4
Assasin' s Creed
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Heavenly Sword
Dynasty Warriors 6
War Devil
Lost Planet
GTA 4
Call of Duty 3
Chrome Hounds
Bioshock
Turok
Brother in Arms: Hells Highway

Well these are the ones that come to mind...

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 15:13
I know where you' re coming from Rock. I kind of agree for the most part. Games that are getting the most attention really don' t seem that special to me either.

Out of Junkie' s list, there' s maybe 3 that I' m interested in, but not necessarily Wii-ing myself over. I' m still a gamer (and am real as far as I know!), just with different interests, and next-gen definitely seems to be swinging away from what I like, and towards what most people like - mainly badassness and explosions.

That' s not a bad thing though, each to their own, just I wish someone would think of the little people, heh. Still there are a few incredible games though, you just have to look harder these days!

So no, it' s not just you.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 17 May 06 8:36:28 >

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 17:28
I think next gen is going to be excellent. And i think next gen will be the same as " old" gen, as far as game types go, they will just expand and add, and making it look better!

Saying things will be changing to more mainstream is excuse my expression " a load of crap" , and it shows how much some people just dont want things to change! The only big change there were in gaming was the transition from 2D to 3d!

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 18:23
*cough* Gears of War *cough*

I was seduced by Kameo, and have formed strong relationships with Fight Night, DoA4, Oblivion and Advanced Warfighter. Old-gen is old news now (with minor exceptions)

Twilight Princess, Mass Effect, Virtua Fighter 5, Gradius and Gears of War are right at the top of my list and there are about a hundred more underneath them.

I want my Oddworld!

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 18:55
Don' t worry Rock - the game you seem to care about should land on Wii - since SNK says it' ll be their primary system ...you know what game I' m talking about :)
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 17 May 06 10:56:38 >

Ikashiru
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 24890
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 19:54
I can *almost* see where your comming from, except not about the new generation.

What I mean is that from time to time in life most gamers get a little disconnected - certainly mid PS2 / XBOX I actually focused more on my career etc..etc, but this was more because as an " enthusiast" you can only be excited for a couple of years at a time about gaming without takin a break. - Or suffering a hyperactivity related breakdown!

From my stance this generation made me the most excited since getting my megadrive on import as a kid, and by the dreamcast launch. So im loving it.

Remember the true path of games is a continuous path of improvements, not massive leaps like the old days. COnsider 8 bit > 16 bit in it' s day. Massive. Now, not really!

I also think you shuldnt expect apps to leap out at you and steal you away. The real experience as a gamer comes from our natual inquisitiveness and interest in new things, which upon a list such as Majik and Game Junkie provided, plus three new consoles, adn the closest hardware race in years..

its going to keep ramping up week after week now, even post launches of the other two new consoles.. If you hvent been hooked yet, book the next 4 years off!
< Message edited by jtypecav -- 17 May 06 11:55:17 >

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 20:25
How would Gears of war look if it only used real time cut-scenes and was gonna come out 2008.

:)

MGS4 look amazing but i mean 2008 date and real time cut scenes,heck even Mass effect looks better for me at this moment.
However im sure MGS4 will look better in the end,but then we will have mass effect 2 :)
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 21:02
To be honest (and yeah, you' ve all probably heard this a million times)
there' s a hole in my period of gaming called the ShenHole

There' s also the SegaHole aswell, I love my REZ, Jet Set Radio and
Future, Space Channel 5, ChuChu rocket etc..

Still, next-gen is still impressive, unless you were expecting FMV like
graphics, some people just hate the next-gen because they had their hopes
sky-high (Sony).. but the reality is graphics and physics will still continue to get
better and aren' t perfect, obviously they could probably make graphics perfect
but that' s kinda drawing the curtains close on a growing market.
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Vx Chemical
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 21:08
I do think we wil have CGI like graphics this gen. And hopefully the animations will follow suit soon after!

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 21:42

I do think we wil have CGI like graphics this gen. And hopefully the animations will follow suit soon after!

i agree with you my friend , i do think that CGI graphics will be reality this gen, it' s soemthing that should be, just look at resident evil 4 on gamecube, you do think in some parts of the game that' s it' s CG (average quality CG) but it' s there and it was a gamecube.

now i only expect from this graphics like Final Fantasy demo (13), Mass effect (which does look like CG) and Metal gear solid 4... guys that should we expect from big developers.

for exemple if Residen evil 5 doesn' t look like CG , i' ll be disapointed.

and i really hope that the animation will follow the same quality , because so far graphics are improving much faster than the animation...

but if you see Heavenly sword (special mention to the emotions) for me that was OMG.

Vx Chemical
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 21:47
the problem with animation is making it look natural, but thats almost impossible without scripting the entire scene. Im looking forward to seeing what Lucas Arts are pulling off on the new Indy adventure, i havent seen the trailers yet, but it sounded amazing!

Dionysius
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 17, 2006 23:33
I’m having a similar problem, and I too don’t get that “OMG, I need that holy form of entertainment NOW!!!” feeling anymore. Last time I got that feeling was with Metal Gear Solid 2. But for me I guess it’s because I’m not as young and easily entertained by games anymore and I lack the time to play them. Certainly it’s not by the lack of “good” games. I do college, I work and I have friends that need constant attention, and to top things of I’m a lazy boy. Therefore I carefully select which games I want to play and try to finish them fast and painlessly, while enjoying them the best I can (3 games per year is more than enough for me).

Sometimes when I have many unfinished games at my disposal I might do a check list in selected order, and finish the games off one by one. That is why, even though Oblivion is a great game, I probably won’t continue playing it, as I feel I won’t finish it and only waste precious time on it. Unlike before when I spend time to beat games completely, now I only play them for a brief moment of simple fun.

So relax. I think everyone gets like that every now and then, sooner or later. And in worst case, even if you don’t get the “OMG” feeling anymore, you can still enjoy the games in a lighter way or find other interests.

Tiz
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 18, 2006 00:03
I think we will have something close to CGI, but not with free-flowing animation
(or fluid animation), not running as at many FPS, nowhere near the amount of
enemies on screen without an inch of slowdown(look at the intro movie for
Onimusha 3 and tell me if the quality of games now look anything near to that,
even games 2 or 3 years down the line will be nowhere near).

It' s fair enough to " represent" CGI in an enclosed space, but developers know that
is not hard, stick in the draw distance (CGI' s have never ending draw distance),
and the amount of NPC' s on-screen a la Onimusha 3, and this will tell you that
we are probably about 2 generations away from achieving real CG as in-game
graphics.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 18, 2006 01:35
I disagree, i think it' s wholley achievable but not for every type of game.

Thre are several uber-cool new animation techniques that will be used this generation with Lucas Arts & NaturalMotion' s ' euphoria' leading the way, and since animation adds so much to realism and immersion the games this gen will be more believable than ever.

The animations in GRAW are awesome and probably the best in any game yet, and Rainbow Six: Vegas is looking to follow suit, but obviously not all genres of game and not all developers will advance at the same rate.

Games like GRAW which has come at the beginning of this generation are only a glimpse of what we can expect to come over the next 5 or 6 years. Engines like Unreal Engine 3.0 and CryENGINE 2 will really push the visuals towards what we would say is CG quality. Obviously the engine that come later in the generation Unreal Engine 4.0 and whatever else will take us even closer, but i think that in some games this gen we will see Toy Story-esque visuals.

However, just as game engine advance so does CG, with Advent Children being the best yet so ingame visuals will never surpass CG.

Personally i am more interested in games like Okami.

Tiz
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 18, 2006 02:08
Agree with more interesting games like Okami, but i' m not saying CG is not
achievable, i' m saying that we will come close to mimicking certain aspects of
it, the way clothes move, slick animation, lighting effects.

Each unique game will come with their own particular skill that they accel in
but, I doubt we will get a full game this generation looking like an entire cut-scene
out of Final Fantasy AC..

I still stick with that being plausible to gens down the line...

vdig
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 18, 2006 08:21
Final Fantasy AC level of detail in games? In this generation, no way. You are looking at the next console war. By then, Vista is a reality, Squeenix will roll up a triple threat of unlucky numbers, and computers will potentially overclock into the 50 GHz range via multi-core processing, if not larger.

No, I don' t know that so-called ' magic formula' on how fast PCs should get powerful per annum. Never been that good at retaining such specific formulas. I' m not necessarily talking super computers either. Those things are beasts even now.

At the moment, the leap to next gen gameplay is not noticeable yet. Give it time. Hopefully, my time is not anytime soon. I need to see more.

< Message edited by vdig -- 17 May 06 19:22:23 >
You wa Shock!!!

Rock_Howard
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 18, 2006 09:46
quake wars, gears of war, UT 2007, they sound and look great. But the $$$$$ is pretty much a head shot.

I would like to hear your idea stephen ashaley.

As for graphics, i feel that we really should really focus more on other elements.

Though I will most likely recieve quiet a bit of heat over my opinion here it goes.

Duke Nukem 3D over halo

chrono trigger is way better that ff10.

bubble bobble kicks a$$

Say what you like, but graphics aren' t all i' m looking for

Nintendo should take Super Mario World, port it to the game cube, and add new levels until they fill an entire disc.

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 18, 2006 17:57

ORIGINAL: Rock_Howard

My great decrease in , for lack of a better word, intrest in this generation may also be from the interference of new things in life:

Getting a my drivers licence (Going to driveing school for that matter).

getting a car

getting a job

I liked the super smash brothers games but never enough to buy them. Same goes for the halo games. although DOA4 looks excellent I really like 2d fighters better (KOF). The racing games have nice graphics but i' m so bad i wont pick up the controller. The fact that I am a bit more concerned about spending money also influences my view greatly.

Don' t get me wrong there are many games that I want to play but so far none that
I want to spend all that money on.

It' s called " growing up" brother, and most of us know what you' re talking about.

I remember getting my first " real" video game system (I don' t count my Memorex). I have fond memories of the first games that I had. I remember the anticipation of the newer systems, sequels for games that I loved, and new IPs. That was all before I had to think about car insurance, working 40 hours, grocery shopping, budgeting, taxes, etc., etc.

I used to play RPGs until my eyes bled! Now I just play for, maybe, a couple of hours in a day (if I' m lucky). I still buy ' em, though. That' s the one good thing I guess. I now make enough money that I can buy any DAMN games that I want (without having to go through Mom' s budget!) Shame I can' t buy them and send them to myself when I was little! I guess that' s what having kids is for!

Tiz
RE: only 1 not impressed - May 18, 2006 18:58

Say what you like, but graphics aren' t all i' m looking for

It' s true that games are not all about graphics, but as it has been said before,
graphics play a major part.

To the constant gamer, graphics will mean very little, but to the common person
it' s the best looking game that catches their eye. Because the casual gamer is
fickle, we can look at games like......

Sonic on the old Genesis and MS consoles, and still want to go back to that,
I recently gave my little cousins a choice between taking my X-Box and taking
my gamecube, and they choice X-box because of the explosions in Halo and the
fluidity of the fighters in DOA. Looking at Wind Waker, they said it looked too
stupid; so graphics do play a major part in terms of attracting customers that don' t
know any better (AS LONG AS THE PRICE IS REASONABLE)

(Bearing in mind, my cousins are 7 and 5.)