Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s?
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 52 of 52
Pyrii

• Total Posts : 42
RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 16, 2006 10:12
It amazes me to see how small some of the ROMs are for N64 games. Zelda OOT is 32Mb itself. Diddy Kong Racing is 16Mb, Turok is 8Mb

People who programmed onto catridges were geniuses, and looking back, those carts were cheaper than what we pay for games nowadays.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 16, 2006 10:40
Theoretically both PS3 and 360 should be able to produce visuals equivalent to a gaming PC that has up to 50% better hardware in it, due to their dedicated function. Especially with tri-core and cell cpus. Which is why I was so surprised that Oblivion and Q4 even ran slightly slowly on 360. Hopefully when devs get up and running, they' ll have a lot of power to play with on both systems.

At the moment though, I' m getting roughly the same performance in Oblivion on my 6800gt with better texture filtering too, from what I' ve seen.. which is worrying for my 360!

It wouldn' t be too far off to expect real-time CGI quality visuals towards the end of these consoles life cycles though would it?
< Message edited by choupolo -- 16 May 06 2:42:24 >
vdig

• Total Posts : 226
RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 16, 2006 10:42
It is a seesaw battle between consoles and PCs. The consoles always edge out at launch, but get retaken when the technology becomes cheaper for the regular consumer. Furthermore, when guys can overclock a decent amount without necessarily putting much strain on the parts, they can get faster and more capable very quickly.

Want a cheap processor that, when tapped with a meager bios change and little else, jumps from a 2.8 GHz cpu to 3.6~3.8 GHz without becoming too extreme for the masses to implement? There is one... I read it just a few hours ago. If a cheap processor like that can make such a jump with little extra stress on the system, and go up to 4.1 GHz with persistence, that is just plain incredible. PCs for the most part will remain more powerful for quite some time.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

Edit:
Please note that I post the above just as a proof of the power of the PC. Should you attempt to overclock, don' t blame me if you mess up. I am not liable for your mess.
< Message edited by vdig -- 15 May 06 21:44:09 >
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 16, 2006 11:03
" Saberwolf, you are an idot."

I swear that' s exactely what I was thinking word for word as I read his first post.

Bottom line is that the 360 and ps3 will perform at an extremely close level, probably closer then any two competing console have. They' re more or less from the same generation unlike xbox and ps2 where xbox has a significant hardware advantage, not that it even shows that much. More importately is the fact that the largest bottleneck for any console is the amount of ram it has and ps3 and 360 both have 512mb. When you look at each console you can' t honestly say one is clearly better then the other performance wise, each has its own strenths.

< Message edited by Game Junkie -- 16 May 06 3:11:27 >
choupolo

RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 16, 2006 11:03
Heh, yea overclocking is great. I saw vid of an article on a liquid nitrogen cooled system that went up from 2.8 to 4.2G once. And to top it off they designed a custom case with what can only be described as a NOS fueled flame thrower on the top!

Btw that Pentium D805 article was pretty impressive..
< Message edited by choupolo -- 16 May 06 3:08:47 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 16, 2006 18:08
choupolo its thanks to the ram,btw with 360 you have 4xAA+HDR,in PC you have to choose,jaggies or HDR.

HDR is a very next gen thing,and shouldn' t be ignored.
And if you dont have AA on...wtf...
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 16, 2006 19:03
Quez well you know you can just push the resolution up , takes more ressources but it' s ok, you won' t mind so far if you own a 7800 GT.
choupolo

RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 16, 2006 19:52
The top cards can do HDR+AA now, x1900 and 7900 etc, and there was a patch to enable it in Oblivion. Although I' m playing Oblivion with aliasing atm, just to have the nice lighting effects. HDR is awesome, anyone tried out these tech demos on their PCs? Some of them are beautiful and you can use them to test your PC to see what it can do!

http://kolos.math.uni.lodz.pl/~plastic/productions.aspx

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/#Download

Yea, the RAM has a lot to do with it I agree. Much respect to console devs who eventually find ways to get around that with efficient coding.

I was reading about a technique John Carmack (seems to think he) invented called MegaTexturing, where you basically use one huge texture (32000x32000) to paint a landscape and a complex program to fragment and adjust bits of that texture to where it needs to be, rather than using several small unique textures. This way an artist can still get all the unique detail in, by painting it directly onto that one megatexture, without tiling tonnes of details and adjustments on top of each other, thus saving memory. It' s also good for in-game changes to landscape detail, as these changes can also be painted directly onto that texture on the fly, without using any more memory.

Carmack wants it to be used first in Quake Wars: Enemy Territory, but he has a more advanced version coming up in the next iD game... which presumably means it' ll have outdoor stuff too! Yay!
< Message edited by choupolo -- 16 May 06 12:20:34 >
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 16, 2006 21:50
these threads will never compeltely die, and a shed load of valid points have been made, I just try to remind people that a console costs half what a decent graphics card does, but they are dedicated.

Interesting that M$ are hooking up gamers on the windows side of the divide with 360 owners.. I think they should just make peace, not gonna happpen but...hey.

Still waiting for my alienware 7900gtx laptop :(
My 6800ultra has done me fine for 18months
My 360 is getting quite a thrashing
Ill be getting a wii for sure
PS3,once its dropped a bit probably!

As peoples finances change do their gaming habits?
< Message edited by jtypecav -- 16 May 06 13:51:32 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 17, 2006 03:09

Oh, and GameSpot will only say nice things about PSP for the ame reason IGN will. They have deals with Sony for Playstation HUB.

Same old crap :) they have deal with Nintendo as well ...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 17, 2006 03:45

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

Oh, and GameSpot will only say nice things about PSP for the ame reason IGN will. They have deals with Sony for Playstation HUB.

Same old crap :) they have deal with Nintendo as well ...

We all know that. But the reason IGN didn' t mention all of the stuff about the games shown at GDC looking failr shoddy and the reason the fail to mention Sony' s mistakes and shortcomings in detail or at all is because of their deal.

Shit, GameSpot even has payments from Sony show on their financial report with no explaination as to why.

It' s well know than IGN is biased towards Sony. I' m not saying that they' ll start slating Microsoft, but that they will try to soften any damage to Sony and will word things so they sound better than they are.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS3 more powerfull than Gaming Pc' s? - May 17, 2006 07:40
just try to remember people, that the thread isnt out to say the ps3 is more powerfull than 360. But I suppose you could interpreted it like that. My mistake.
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 52 of 52

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message