• Reward points : 0
FPS DESEASE ? - May 15, 2006 11:42
i mean all games are becoming fps
mgs
metroid
condemned
resident wait you will see for that
rpgs like oblivion and elveon
its like a desease or something.................................................

returnofreaper
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 15, 2006 11:52
the E3 05 trailor for MGS stated that it was " no First Person Shooter" , and FPS sequence shown was a spoof.... just to clear that up..

Elder Scrolls was a FP game in development long before Halo was released.

consitering Final Fantasy is now enjoying its 13th (well 14th if you count 10-2) game, i DOUBT you have to worry about the future of RPG' s....

Byakko
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 15, 2006 14:48
I think it' s funny to comment on this when I just became an FPS convert (Halo 2 party. My first time and I was second in the number of most kills XD NOOBS!)

Personally, I prefer what Resi 4 is right now. Slightly third person shooter over the shoulder. Less disorienting, and better spacial awareness.

But I take it that with free-roaming, the FPS, or just first person interface, became a given. If you want to be able to see every single thing around you, no better way than to see it in first person.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 15, 2006 14:54
Actually you can see more in 3rd person than 1st person.

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 15, 2006 15:41
The reason first person view is so popular is because it is the most realistic perspective. Games use a first person view to be more realistic and immersive. When you have a third person view you think you' re controlling that character you don' t think of it as yourself like in first person.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 15, 2006 17:35
Well, Halo is wicked, because when Halo 2 first came out.... Every frikkin
Friday night, my friends and I would always meet up, 16 of us! In a room just
playing team slayer (8 on 8) and CTF (8 on 8), to be honest, i have never had a
better experience of multi-playa, after a while it stopped... not because we got
bored of the game... heck no! But because my friends mum complained of not
getting enough sleep!! But yeh, I tried Perfect Dark Zero, and I dont really
like it, the fact that you cant jump, keeps the game in one dimension. But I
do see your point about FPS disease, everyone wants a piece of it. Are they
easy games to make?

I think most developers think that they can make a crappy FPS and then
market the hell out of the multiplayer. Speaking of shooters, any1 think GOW
looks good?
< Message edited by Tiz -- 15 May 06 9:44:39 >
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 15, 2006 18:11

When you have a third person view you think you' re controlling that character you don' t think of it as yourself like in first person.

When I play an FPS I don' t think of it as myself because of the following reasons:
-My peripheral vision is much better in real life.
-My movements are nowhere near as stiff.
-I don' t have my gun pointed forward 24/7. I actually have the ability to lower it.
-It usually only takes one or two bullets to kill me in real life.

So instead I think I' m some stiff bastard playing a game set in either World War 2 or a post-apocalyptic future. Yay western developers! They suck ass.

But Locopuyo does have a point, though I see it from a different point of view than he does. When playing an FPS game... any FPS game, it seems like I am playing as the same person (and that person is not myself). I am always playing the same boring character with the inability to speak. With 3rd person perspectives like, say, Resident Evil 4, it is much easier for me to get involved with the story and the overall mood of the game. Different games have different characters. Like I said, it seems like I' m playing as the same exact character no matter if I' m playing Halo, Medal of Honor or Black. But it seems like I' m playing completely different characters when I go from Resident Evil 4 to Super Monkey Ball to Tomb Raider (as bad as that is). Different characters make for a far more varied experience. FPS games, for me, equals a monotonous experience. You' ve played one, you' ve played them all. Or it least it seems like I have.

The FPS genre can lick my unwiped hairy asshole.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 15 May 06 10:14:55 >

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 15, 2006 19:08

The FPS genre can lick my unwiped hairy asshole

That was uncalled for! :) and disgusting on top!

FPS does give a varied expirience, you can compare Condemned, Oblivion and Quake 4 in anyway!

I dont think too many games are made FPS. I like it just the way it is, and if you learn to keep an eye out for the good FPS games, its a pleasure to play them. As an old PC gamer, i played a lot of FPS games, since fps and RTS were almost the only quality games made with the exception of the odd western RPG. I say, keep up the good work, make lots of FPS games for me to play :)

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 15, 2006 20:10

The FPS genre can lick my unwiped hairy asshole

WTF is wrong with you westerners, what is it with your ass !! showing your ass, kiss my ass, lick my ass and now joe redifer is taking a major in there, look how stylish he got... i' m a goddam straight man !

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 15, 2006 20:14
Make my carpet,or i kick your ass!
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 16, 2006 03:06
That was a really horribel mental picture.....*shivers* .

He
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 16, 2006 03:40
I think that if we go any farther with this we should remember that FPS means First-Person Shooter, not all the games you are talking about fit into that description. Oblivion doesn' t. MGS really doesn' t (though that was stated already). Even Resident Evil 4 doesn' t qualify as a real FPS. What you' re talking about are FPP (First-Person Perspective) games.

In reply to what Joe said about 3rd-person displaying more of the surroundings, that' s only the immediate surroundings of the character. In order to properly visually explore your surroundings, you need a first-person view. That' s why third-person games like Mario and Prince of Persia (the 3D games) incorporate a first-person view into the game.

Byakko
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: FPS DESEASE ? - May 16, 2006 12:31
That' s what I meant when I said that a first person view would allow you to see better. A third person view gives you better spacial awareness. Since the game environment is artificial, you' ll never be able to judge accurately exactly where you are in relation to other objects in first-person. Hence where third person is superior in some aspects.

And He is right, first-person isn' t top-down (some games being like that) or obstructed by the character itself. It' s also more immersive.

Then again, I get a creepy feeling that when I' m playing in First-person, I' m basically a free-floating camera...and my neck can miraculously do a 360!