Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy)

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy) - May 13, 2006 21:46
Was it uumai who mentioned this game by Quantic Dream (the Fahrenheit guys) earlier? It' s called Heavy Rain, and the screens and HD vid demonstrate some very very cool stuff! I had a big grin on my face throughout (finally, good use of guns!), and the end was great (yep a trailer with an interesting story heh)...

Check it out. (especially the wrinkle tech lol)

http://www.gamershell.com/news/30240.aspx
< Message edited by choupolo -- 14 May 06 2:03:04 >

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 13, 2006 21:51
Thanks man,so it was them who made fahrenheit.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 03:24
Fantastic! this is the first time i heard about this game, and alltough it tells you nothing about this game,it shows great potentail for the future, and this from the guys who made Fahrenheit, just to say, I am going to be watching this one from on..
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Dionysius
  • Total Posts : 831
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 03:40
I was never any fan of Fahrenheit, but I still look forward to more games from it' s makers. I believe the definitely have potential and will check out this trailer as soon as I can. So thanks for telling.

By the way, was there anyone else who fond the gameplay of Fahrenheit somewhat lacking, and the story like a bad The Matrix?
I clearly remember the creator complaining about how Final Fantasy was built, as it was only cut-scenes and how people game designers never try anything new. I got to admit I loved the game at first sight, but then after playing the game for awhile I couldn’t help but notice all the cut-scenes. The only thing different was that you had to move the stick and press a button every so often. This was according to me like a bad version of the Shenmue’s Quick Time Event. Also the different path thing wasn’t all that different. No matter what you did, the way the game played out didn’t change all that much.
I do believe David has potential, but he didn’t really show it right with Fahrenheit. And honestly I think he got cocky.

QuezcatoL
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 03:57
its good marketing,look at fable,sold 2,5 million copies,its a good rpg,but not that good,however peter hyped it way way more then it delivered.-
However he said xbox limitaion kept him from make what he wanted and talked about.

choupolo
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 05:14
Fahrenheit started off great, with an intruiging premise. The actions that you had to perform by moving the mouse/joystick felt novel, and it gave you the illusion of freedom ie clean up the blood/dont clean up the blood etc...but you' re right, ultimately there was only one story to follow. I quite liked that though since you knew whatever you did you wouldn' t miss any important stuff.

I didn' t mind the ' dancing stage' sequences that much, but of course they' d been done before, and I like a few well done cut-scenes here and there. Never knew about the Final Fantasy comments though, doh! Oh well.

Then the story got all supernatural which I didn' t like, and the end was terrible. Sex scenes were unnecessary and felt a bit false anyway (in the ' why would they' sense rather than ' the pixels aren' t in the right places' sense heh) . But for most of it, it felt clean and fresh in terms of gameplay. Being able to play from different character' s POV, exploring your flat for things to do near the beginning and playing blues on the guitar. The choice of licensed music was great too.

I think the main thing was that the characters weren' t just Jim and Bob. Jim has a shotgun and Bob has a sniper rifle, and Jim kicks ass! But they all had a bit of background, and some emotion to them.

I think decent acting in games is going to have to reach a new benchmark this generation, even in the action genre. Gone are the days of Resident Evil 1! (as groundbreaking as it was in its day!)

(In the lobby...)
Chris: " What is it?"
Barry: " Looks like blood"

(In the dining room...)
Chris: " What iiss it??"
Barry: " More blood"

(In the corridor...)
Chris: " What WAS that???"
Barry: " A zombie? No, no it was blood.."

*all with that funny arm/shoulder movement that they did*

[:' (]
< Message edited by choupolo -- 13 May 06 21:17:31 >

QuezcatoL
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 05:18
Fahrenheit was a 8/10 game,could have easliy been 9/10 if they didn' t just cut the story from A then to C without telling B.
It feelted 5-10 hours short.

Dionysius
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 07:06
I just saw that heavy rain trailer and now I’m like “What the fuck was that?!”
I don’t really know, but I liked it. Great graphics, possibly the best acting for a game ever, and seriously an original demonstration. My guess is (as hinted) its made to show what you can do and whit the next-gen, mostly in terms of making expressional characters, and perhaps what to expect from Quantic Dreams. I look forward to seeing more of this, especially in terms of what the fuck it really is (though I feel even more that David actually wanted to be a Hollywood director).
BTW is swearing not allowed in hear?

Also, about the title…
Hard Rain, Acid Rain, Wolf’s Rain, Titanium Rain, (((Heavy Rain))), American Rain, Still Rain, Silent Rain, Bringing Rain, Summer Rain, Dark Rain, Black Rain, Red Rain, Yellow Rain, are the names of a couple of films and shows. Not all that original or what do you think? Well, not that it matters.

Lastly. I thought the girl was ugly, I' m glad she didn' t get the part [:' (]
< Message edited by dionysius -- 13 May 06 23:09:00 >

QuezcatoL
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 07:20
Well,who here bought Fahrenheit for its graphic?
But david cage better delivering now.

Silentbomber
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 08:20
i got it becuase it interested me, and i liked it very much, 8/10, but yea , it was rushed at then end.

I wonder what Heavy Rain will be about?

choupolo
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 09:37
I was quite impressed with Fahrenheit' s graphics. Nice, clean look, high res, ran smoothly and used some funky full screen filters. More impressed by these type of gfx than say Call of Duty 2 where the bump mapping makes everything look like a cushion. :P

Dio - Heh, I thought the girl in the trailer looked pretty good. Teeth looked fairly big at the beginning, but noone' s perfect.

I' d hate for Heavy Rain to go supernatural again. I suppose as long as it isn' t about a war against aliens where one man is the only hope, then I' m happy, lol. [:' (]

QuezcatoL
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 09:54
Yes,when that girl...what was the main characters name...i forgot when she had sex,and you saw her complely naked the high reso really paid off? :P

vdig
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 09:58
Fahrenheit? The name is not quite familiar to me, but this gameplay mechanic... sounds like... Indigo Prophecy! Yes, that game is one and the same. I agree, the story seemed like it got disconnected from what had already been established. In that case, Heavy Rain is now another title I am watching out for. That game was quite interesting for most of the experience. The part after the main character' s death though... very clumsy. Should have kept it less sci-fi, and definately 5-10 hours longer. I don' t mind sci-fi, but they went way too Matrixy for my tastes. Stuck out like a sore thumb.

Quantic Dream, please make a game with a MUCH better ending this time, PLEASE!
You wa Shock!!!

QuezcatoL
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 10:00
I thought fahrenheit was 9/10 the first hours,then they basically skipped the middle story,and suddenly you was some month later in the game and suddenly two of the main characters was in love,and the end was just retarded,not about the child they had,but purple and orange clan... TT

The game is a 8.7 for me, because it feelt fresh.

Dionysius
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 19:02
The girl sort of remind about an actress I know I hate but can' t quite put my finger on whom, maybe that' s why I dislike her (still think she' s ugly though). I still look forward to the game though, even if I know nothing about it.

I only got the freshness feeling for a short while, with Fahrenheit and after that ended and I found the game to not be very interactive or free at all, I started to loose my passion for it. I still found it nice enough to finish though, and that’s not bad in my book.

And here’s another nice David Cage comment. “Resident Evil 4 is for retards”

Cocky bastard!
< Message edited by dionysius -- 14 May 06 11:06:45 >

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 19:39
Fahrenheight I got not for the graphics so I didn' t mind that bit, but mostly the story and to be honest it was really good in the beggining but then I lost interest and haven' t really finished it (will try to soon...hate leaving stuf unfinished).

choupolo
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 14, 2006 23:38

The girl sort of remind about an actress I know I hate but can' t quite put my finger on whom

Penelope Cruz? kind of... Or that goofy looking girl from ' The Tommyknockers' !

< Message edited by choupolo -- 14 May 06 18:54:54 >

Bib
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 15, 2006 03:01
She reminded me of Penelope Cruz, too.
Very nice demo, by the way. It' s very subtle, as in the animations make it really realistic.

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 15, 2006 07:43
I thought she kinda looked like Courteney Cox or maybe thats just me.

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 15, 2006 10:32
that trailer truly impressed me, i was like woooow, the art direction is excellent while graphics are top notch as well except for the the chracter which i think they can make it look more realistic, but the animation of this actress is truly stunning while the emotions shown on her face are unbelievabl... it sounds like it will have an intersting story at least well written, i loved the idea of this trailer, if metal gear 4 wasn' t on the show , it will get my best trailer at E3.

uumai
  • Total Posts : 1363
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 19, 2006 19:38
Well given I was talking about this game, and fahrenheit so much i should really comment on here.

I recently got hold of the version with sound, and must say I was blown away.

The music and voice acting was really good, the story told in that part is really good, I totally wanted it to be a game that I could play through.

Anyway I have watched the trailer maybe 5 times so here are some thoughts.

Firstly to me, the girl looks like ' Shelley Duvall' from Kubrick' s " The Shining"

Big eyes and big teeth, I think it' s the closes match for me.

As for the ingame model, it is well done, like the graphics overall. It is however, lacking in facial animation. When she moves her mouth or makes expressions generally, her face doesn' t react to it. There is no muscle structure beneath her face. Her cheeks really need work.
Also the lip sync wasn' t fantastic.

However there is one point in the trailer where even her chin creased up - " Such a corny moment" she says @ around 1.42 (of gamevideos trailer)
This i thought was nice, there was lots of nice details that added to it. The blowing curtains and plants really made a big deal too. I' m sure the game will improve, and it is my favourite trailer of E3, I must be one of those rare people, who isn' t bothered in the least with MGS4
< Message edited by uumai -- 21 May 06 21:29:33 >
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

choupolo
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 19, 2006 20:06
Oh yea, she does look like the girl from The Shining. She' s not quite as pathetic as her though!

I agree about the mouth too, it' s a bit wooden, but she almost makes up for it with the other detail in her facial expressions. I liked the detail where she wrinkles up her forehead/brow when she gets a bit upset later on.

QuezcatoL
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 19, 2006 20:06
She looks like a guy,this game gonna freak me out...if they dont fix it very soon.

uumai
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 20, 2006 00:20

She looks like a guy

Hmm, I really don' t agree but i' ve never seen sweedish men

this game gonna freak me out

Hopefully, it' s kind of what i am hoping for. The trailer has such an instense feeling to it, and she did the part well, just need to animate the muscles of her face more. Can' t wait.

but she almost makes up for it with the other detail in her facial expressions. I liked the detail where she wrinkles up her forehead/brow when she gets a bit upset later on

Me too, I said there wasn' t any brow changes, until i watched it again playing close attention. It' s all in the details, and it' s on my " to buy list" If it ever went 360 exclusive (like alan wake ) i think i' d have to forget ps3 for a long time.
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

QuezcatoL
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 20, 2006 00:34
Dont get me wrong,i liked fahrenheit and im sure this game will be awesome,if david cage doesnt rush it as farhenheit then ps3 got AAA title.
But they need to fix her face,and dont make a 7 hour long game...and dont skip middle part of the story and suddenly its some weeks later and people fallen in love with each other meanwhilke,that was just retarded.

uumai
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 20, 2006 00:40
I agree fahrenheit was rushed along a bit too much, it was fantastic at the begining. but at least they put in multiple endings.
It was one of my favourite current gen games. I liked the bleakness of it, it was great.

I' m sure that with the experience of Fahrenheit, heavy rain will only be better. And I doubt they will leave the model like that - heck they might not use it, it was after all only a casting session and apparently she was " too old" i think.
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Silentbomber
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 21, 2006 08:03
I read this is a sequal to Fahrenheit.

Is that true?

uumai
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 21, 2006 09:53
Hmm, I doubt it... Probably just a new game from them, if they are ' famous' for fahrenheit then people will refer to it as fahrenheit 2. For the time being i guess... Like ICO 2.

Thought there is a slight possibility of a sequel, but i think quantic dreams would want to do something new for the new generation, building on what they did and learned with fahrenheit.

Either way, it' s on my ' to buy' list - unless it' s the ultimate in crap ^_^;;
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

QuezcatoL
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 21, 2006 23:50

Make her look like this and make the story longer then fahrenheit,and dont miss out on the middle story,and you may have a AAA title :)

Silentbomber
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 22, 2006 02:02
when she points the gun at the camera and the backround is out of focus, damn, that looks allmost lifelike.

Just shows how some nice effects can enhance everything.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 21 May 06 18:02:23 >

QuezcatoL
RE: Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream (makers of Fahrenheit..) - May 22, 2006 03:48
Yes,but...
The animation in acut-scene makes its much more life like...