Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 GDC
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 54
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 02:16
Well my friend that is there played some Nighty-Nine Nights and he said it was pretty much crap. He compared it to Dynasty Warriors but said it lacked the strategy. The enviroments are pretty horrible but the main characters look CG quality. He said it wasn' t complete crap but it wasn' t by any means a good game.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 03:36
They use windows at the moment yes,but let their finale kits be made and it will be only linux.
and btw,to rampage,i hated dynasty,worse crap game ever made,my head hurt from playing that game,but N3 looks great :P
Rampage99

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 04:08
It may look great but it doesn' t play great.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 05:29
Well Sony' s keynote is over and some parts are just laughable...

I-8 has been renamed to Resistance: Fall of Man...

The PSP details from last week have been re-affirmed: RSS Channel, Macromedia Flash browser, in the next update, video camera this October, WiFi videophone, GPS receiver with geocaching available in Sept 06, download and run software directly from the MS, UMD' s will continue, but digital distribution will be available via a content server (for new games?) and archive server (for PSone games).

They showed a video of a lot of fish swimming in the water as an " example" of what the PS3 will be capable of doing. Nice!

Showed a realtime demo of Warhawk and a couple of other (stupid) tech demos. One of which was done by Ninja Theory which had a thousand characters reacting to complex rag doll physics. The graphics were all PS2-caliber with nice post processing effects such as depth of field. I would have hoped for better than PS2 visuals...

GDC has essentially confirmed that everything game related Sony showed at E3 was purely rendered footage and was no indication of the final product. We knew this already.

Warhawk, while looking great, was essentially a barren section of ocean with a lot of fighter ships (they were aiming for a hundred for the final game) going around destroying larger vessels and some nice looking water (wave simulation with procedural animation) and clouds (volumetric raytracing). A far cry of what was shown last year and but gave a nice sobering introduction to the rest of the demos which were shown towards the end. Fortunately it will be playable at E3. So don' r EVEN expect graphics shown in Warhawk at E3 (some muppets here kept saying it was realtime too...).

They showed Motorstorm, and again it was nothing like the quality of the CG shown last year. The car models and physics were decent although the texturing and the environment was PS2 level of quality. Again, and early demo, but you' d think that they would' ve come up with something impressive since E3.

Confirmed a couple more PS3 things; full PS2 backcompatability, full BD support, latest HDMI support, broadband net connection, HDD. Nothing that wasn' t expected or already known.

Confirmed that PlayStation Network Platform is an internal name being used by Sony and won' t be the online service' s actual monikier.

Online service will have subscriptions, pay to download and micropayments in much the same way as Xbox Live. Basic service will be free but free online play wasn' t mentioned.

PS3 game production costs will be high and require more time (nice to know eh?!)

Other than that they showed some more (junk) demo' s like Motor Storm and some stuff seen at E3 last year and they re-affirmed the CPU specs (since obviously the GPU won' t be changing, with it being an off the shelf existing product) and detailed the 7 SPU' s.

Most of the other developements from mobile companies were most interesting than this. Sony suck ass! I wouldn' t mind, but all they EVER do is show tech demos!

Ha, now i want to see what Nintendo do tomorrow...

< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 22 Mar 06 21:45:54 >
Rampage99

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 05:59
My friend at GDC just called me after going to it. He was in tter shock at how crappy all the games looked. He said evey game lloked like a PS2 game wih fancy lighting and whatever effects. He was extremely excited about the PS3, too, and he said the 360' s games looked better than anything shown. That says something.
< Message edited by Rampage99 -- 22 Mar 06 22:23:20 >
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 06:14
Well that' s what i' ve been saying all along.

The 360 games that are out later this year will look FAR superior to whatever launch titles PS3 has. But PS3 will eventually catch up (i expect) when developers get used to the multi-cored architecture and figure out how best to use the 7 SPU' s.

Sony, have kinda shot themselves in the foot by using a GPU that' s already on the market for PC' s. It' s not new technology and is FAR outdone by 360' s. The main advantage PS3 will have is it' s processing power.

I would have expected Sony to have pulled something impressive out because them damn well needed to. Right now, it look like 360 is gonna be ahead graphically for a while.

It sucks, especially because PS3 is expected to cost so much. Oh well!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 06:21

My friend at E3 just called me after going to it. He was in tter shock at how crappy all the games looked

You mean GDC or last years E3?

As for tech demos - they always do that - with PS2 they had some fancy demonstrations of facial animation , then with PS3 at E3 some crap with ducks and blowing stuff up.

It never had anything to do with quality of games that come out later
:)

They could' ve sucked with PS2 - but if they really suck now ...360 will finish them FATALITY STYLE
...Not to mention revolution.

Rampage have you changed your mind about revolution since our last war? :)
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 22 Mar 06 22:32:28 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 06:22
Its nice to know,that mass effect,and too human will both be trilogies,meaning that we will get 6 awesome titles :p
Rampage99

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 06:25

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

My friend at E3 just called me after going to it. He was in tter shock at how crappy all the games looked

You mean GDC or last years E3?

As for tech demos - they always do that - with PS2 they had some fancy demonstrations of facial animation , then with PS3 at E3 some crap with ducks and blowing stuff up.

It never had anything to do with quality of games that come out later

They could' ve sucked with PS2 - but if they really suck now ...360 will finish them FATAL
TY STYLE
...Not to mention revolution.

Rampage have you changed your mind about revolution since our last war? :)

I meant GDC. Sorry, I have E3 on the mind because I' m working on going with Kikizo to E3 and I' m very excited about it.

Oh, you want to talk about the rev? Umm... well I haven' t payed too much attention to it. I still hate the remote controller but will hold my judgement on the system iteself until I see real games.
]GaNgStA[

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 06:28
I' m very sceptical about bioware - especially after Beta feel of KOTOR (still a very, very cool game) and a total crap IMO - JAde EMpire.

same goes for silicon knights :) - I think Eternal Darkness is among the best of the best, but that' s just 1 game - even Kojima made one game right (MGS1) :)

(some hate is comig :) )
]GaNgStA[

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 06:31

I haven' t payed too much attention to it. I still hate the remote controller but will hold my judgement on the system iteself until I see real games.

E3 is coming so we' ll know soon enough - I may be a believer , but I still need to see more
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 06:34
Ha, well with sub-par visuals (hopefully), and less software available at launch, ...coupled with a high price because of the stupid tech they' re sticking in the machines and forced Blu-Ray developement...

...Sony could have f**ked up BIG style!

Of the two traditional consoles, my money is on 360, but i expect Revolution to completely blow everyone away.

Tomorrow Iwata is supposed to announce something BIG, ...N5 maybe?! LOL!

Its nice to know,that mass effect,and too human will both be trilogies,meaning that we will get 6 awesome titles :p

Ha, yeah, then GoW, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, RE5, Dark Sector, Ghost Recon 4, Halo 3 etc...

2nd coming of the Dreamcast indeed!
]GaNgStA[

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 06:59

N5 maybe?! LOL!

GoW, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, RE5, Dark Sector, Ghost Recon 4, Halo 3

Nice list - I wish there were some really good japanese games.Maybe Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon...but I' m not sure about those.
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 07:01
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey will be very cool, but i' m not so sure about some of the other stuff like Fram City Killer...

360 needs VF5, it' s that simple!
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 07:13
Hahahahahaha....

360 EyeToy!!!

Microsoft are obviously planning on fighting Sony fire with fire, in that the 360 camera..

..will feature gesture recognition like EyeToy and translate your movements ingame.

Also, the camera program will include XDK support for streaming video. The three-dimensional " face-in-game" for which the EyeToy is famous will be available " through middleware providers."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/697/697661p1.aspx

360 camera specs:

-USB 2.0 bus-powered device
-Smooth, near DV quality video: up to VGA 640x480 at 30 FPS
-High-def images: still photos up to SVGA 1280x980 (1.3 Mp)
-Manually adjustable variable focus: 2 feet to infinity
-Field of View: 43 degrees
-On board image processor
-Digital zoom, cropping
-Auto exposure, white balance, gamma correction, sharpness
-Long (~9 feet) cable to reach around large TVs
-Includes a headset for great audio

NOTE: What i don' t like is how IGN are avoiding talking about the PS2 quality visuals of the PS3 demos shown. Talk about pathetic! On the payroll no doubt!

Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 07:17
i seriously doubt that ps3 is going to have ' ps2 visuals' , even if it dosent look as good as 360, its still quite early code.
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 07:38
We' re no saying it' ll have PS2 visuals, we' re merely commeting on the demos shown.

It' s Sony' s fault for being stupid at E3 last year, showing CG instead of gameplay. They didnt even show achieveble graphics, they just wanted to get one over on Microsoft.

PS3 will look great, and even if it can' t quite match 360 in terms of visual fidelity, it should be able to do more of it, ...like having more characters on screen, more going on at the same time...
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 21:08
Before i move on to something MUCH more interesting than PS3, (that' d be Revolution), Phil Harrison MAY have slipped up slighty yesterday at the post presentation lunch Q&A session...

After repeating Sony' s previous assertions that all PS3 games would require the hard drive to run, he rebuffed questions on whether PlayStation 3 would ship with it. " I' m head of software studios, not hardware," said a vexed Harrison. His remarks appeared to contradict recent European press reports which said Sony had confirmed the next-gen console would come bundled with a 60GB HDD.

The full article is available here... http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146460.aspx

It kinda makes sense that the PS3 would ship without the HDD since not everybody buying it will want to play games (it could be used as an affordable Blu-Ray player), ...but it' s a contradiction to what Sony said last week.

It raises questions about whether the HDD-less model would also be missing anything else...

Ok, so Iwata' s speech is today and new photos of Revolution at GDC are available...

I' m confused though, look...

^^ That' s one of the patents Nintendo filed last month showing the back of the unti. So far, simple right?

Ok, this is Revolution on display at GDC yesterday...

^^ The back of the unit in it' s entirety, 10 points for anyone who can spot the differences...

It could be that the units on display still aren' t the final ones and Nintendo are refraining from using the new ones until E3. That would makes sense i guess, but then WHAT is the extra port that is shown in the patents?

Anyway, i' ve been drinking Red Bull all morning and i' m skipping all of my classes today because my copy of Oblivion is due to arrive. Anyway, ...REVOLUTION...

^^ Note the ' a' and ' b' printed next to the ' X' and ' Y' bottons, obviously for playing NES games holding the controller sideways, ...but how would you play SNES games? You' d need the controller shell right?

^^ Oh look, ...BLUE light...

< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 23 Mar 06 13:26:25 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 21:25
Maybe that mystery port was so mysterious that even Nintendo themselves couldn' t figure out what it was good for?
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 24, 2006 00:24
...MAYBE...

I want to point out that ' GO' in Japanese means ' 5' , so it would translate to Nintendo 5 (as in their 5th console) or simply N5 (as i' ve been saying for AGES!).

We' ll see...

On another note, i' m hearing that Revolution (whatever) will retails for around $399 Canadian, which is $342-ish US and £197 or 285 Euro ...

Obviously the prices aren' t official but it sounds right to me...
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 23 Mar 06 16:36:51 >
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 54

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread