Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Film studios cut back on UMD titles
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 28 of 28
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Film studios cut back on UMD titles - Feb 20, 2006 09:02

I' ve been meaning to get PSP2TV for months now but kept putting it off because I wasn' t sure which PSP to sacrifice - the U.S. unit that I use for movies, firmware updates, and games, OR the Japanese unit which still has firmware 1.0..

I got 2 too, for the same reason. 1 to play UMD' s and games that require the updated firmware and one to play emulators on. But i got both from Japan (well, lik-sang actually) because a) i wanted it before the UK got it (7 months before!) and b) because Japanese PSP are region 2 for films like the UK.

You had/have Gradius III on your Jap PSP right?!

Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
RE: Film studios cut back on UMD titles - Feb 21, 2006 10:59
hey everyone sorry i haven' t responded in a while. Been busy.

Hey majik i saw you were hoping the PS3 comes with a HDD? Well according to this article and the link to Sony' s official Playstation site it says this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/02/15/official-sony-specs-ps3-hdd-sold-separately/

Also i am curious why would anyone want to see a UMD on a TV for? i think that is more pointless then the UMDs themselves. Why spend the extra money on a UMD when most people already have the movie on DVD? That part i never understood.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Film studios cut back on UMD titles - Feb 21, 2006 11:45

Why spend the extra money on a UMD when most people already have the movie on DVD? That part i never understood.

1. UMDs provide MUCH better visual quality than what' s possible with MP4 conversions so far.
2. Not everyone wants to sit and endure the MP4 encoding process, even if they have decent to a lot of know how on converting movies. I' m that way. I' d much rather spend up to $17 on a decent movie than waste my time ripping and converting.
3. If you plan on ripping and converting a bunch of movies at pretty good quality then you' ll need some large sized memory sticks to store them all OR you' ll have to keep swapping crap in and out...
4. The PSP is much more portable than portable DVD players. I can simply reach into my coat pocket and pull out my PSP anytime, anywhere. No inconvenience... Portability is the keyword. There are many who can' t enjoy movies on the go on such a small device and there are many others who can.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 21 Feb 06 3:49:52 >
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Film studios cut back on UMD titles - Feb 21, 2006 12:17
how often do you watch movies? You act like you can' t live without them and you watch them constantly. How many do you have? Also do you buy them on UMD when you already have them on DVD? How are UMD' s better quality? THe only thing i can think of is because it' s such a small screen that quality only appears good because it' s so small. HD-DVD will be out soon and on a BIG screen will provide MUCH better quality then UMD' s and DVD' s combined. Plus I work at Best Buy and UMD' s are hardly ever sold they just sit there and my co-workers think they are pointless. i have seen very portable DVD players and we sell cases for them that are comfortable to carry and like i said play DVD' s people already own and are cheaper them UMDs and have features UMD' s don' t have. ONe of the best reason why people buy DVD' s is for the extra features.

If UMD' s were as good as you say then why are the companies begining to slow and stop making them?

Also you shouldn' t really be ripping movies or encouraging it, first because it takes so damn long.

Maybe it' s just me but i don' t really see it neccessary to watch movies that often when i am out. I would rather play some quick games like mario kart, meteos, and coming soon WIFI tetris with all kinds of cool modes. I never see myself being somewhere where i have time to sit and watch a movie especially on a small screen if i did i would rather have a bigger screen portable DVD player and watch bloopers and behind the scenes etc.. without having to buy it again on UMD.

I am not trying to bash you or put you down i am just expressing my views and i never liked or cared about the idea of UMD' s to me it' s just a ploy for sony to try and push another format on us that will die off like the others.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Film studios cut back on UMD titles - Feb 21, 2006 12:51

how often do you watch movies?

I watch my UMD Video discs every other day..

You act like you can' t live without them and you watch them constantly.

See above ;).. You CAN live without handheld gaming devices, portable movies, and whatnot, doesn' t mean that you' ll want to

How many do you have?

22 UMD movies

Also do you buy them on UMD when you already have them on DVD?

I did for 2 DVD movies I have.. American Pie 2 and White Chicks. I enjoyed them a lot, have the DVDs and since the UMDs were about fifteen bucks, I snatched them up.. Like I said before, it has to be a decent movie and has to be reasonably priced.

MOST of the time I purchase UMD movies of stuff I' ve never seen, and yes, I purchase the UMD versions OVER the DVD versions.

How are UMD' s better quality? THe only thing i can think of is because it' s such a small screen that quality only appears good because it' s so small.

Remember, I compared UMDs to MP4.. I never once compared the visual quality of a UMD to a DVD.. MP4 is the video format the PSP supports. Your small screen example is flawed simply because you notice the degradation in the video quality of many MP4s. UMD videos look crystal clear.

HD-DVD will be out soon and on a BIG screen will provide MUCH better quality then UMD' s and DVD' s combined.

You' re forgetting the portability factor, which is one of the selling points of UMDs..

Plus I work at Best Buy and UMD' s are hardly ever sold they just sit there and my co-workers think they are pointless.

And the 2 stores I' ve checked: J & R Music World as well as Best Buy in New York City have healthy movie sales. In fact, I was laughing several months ago because it seemed as if people spent more time in the UMD Movie aisle than in the gaming aisles.. Only recently have I noticed the opposite happening at the aforementioned stores.

i have seen very portable DVD players and we sell cases for them that are comfortable to carry and like i said play DVD' s people already own and are cheaper them UMDs and have features UMD' s don' t have. ONe of the best reason why people buy DVD' s is for the extra features.

Even the most portable DVD players aren' t as portable as the PSP.

If UMD' s were as good as you say then why are the companies begining to slow and stop making them?

Sales were incredibly strong in the beginning (U.S.) and now they' ve slowed down, it' s only natural. UMDs aren' t being discontinued, studios are slowing down on the amount of movies they flood the market with, cause if you' ve seen the store shelves, the amount of movies available are damn near insane.

Also you shouldn' t really be ripping movies or encouraging it, first because it takes so damn long.

Maybe you should tell that to Sony who sells software like Image Converter 2 that converts movies to the PSP format. Obviously they' re fine with it

Maybe it' s just me but i don' t really see it neccessary to watch movies that often when i am out.

For some people that travel A LOT, portable movies are a godsend..

I would rather play some quick games like mario kart, meteos, and coming soon WIFI tetris with all kinds of cool modes. I never see myself being somewhere where i have time to sit and watch a movie especially on a small screen if i did i would rather have a bigger screen portable DVD player and watch bloopers and behind the scenes etc.. without having to buy it again on UMD.

I enjoy playing games when I' m out as well, that' s the main appeal of handheld gaming devices. But sometimes the mood to play games only lasts for so long. When I used to travel often I' d drag my Dreamcast along with me and play it at whatever hotels I was staying at. And even though I had A LOT of games with me, at some point I kept wishing the Dreamcast could play movies as well. So when Sony came out with the PS2 later on, it was finally great to have both features in one device.. It' s great to be able to play games and then kickback with a movie where ever you are. And there are various types of videos you can watch, not just feature length films. Some stuff like the He-Man UMD collections and the Pride Fighting Championship stuff are great for short viewing sessions.

I know UMDs aren' t perfect, like I said BEFORE the PSP was even launched, Sony needs to rework their UMD pricing scheme since some of the movie prices are just insane. But regardless of that, I have a lot of love for those cute little movie discs.

When it comes down to it, just about all products have their supporters and their detractors. Neither is more right or wrong, it' s all about preferences. You hate UMDs and I love them and nothing is going to change our opinions on that matter
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 21 Feb 06 5:30:49 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Film studios cut back on UMD titles - Feb 21, 2006 17:58
Goooooooooooooooooooo TERRY!!!!

EDIT: Yeah Phoenixxx it does look like the HDD will be sold seperately, which sucks maor ass. We' ll probably see two SKUs' like with 360. My guess is that it' s going to be optional because of the price of the machine, which i think is going to be EXPENSIVE!!!
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 21 Feb 06 10:02:13 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Film studios cut back on UMD titles - Feb 21, 2006 18:30

ORIGINAL: Phoenixxx1974

how often do you watch movies? You act like you can' t live without them and you watch them constantly.

So you' re saying that everyone who' s got a DVD player and DVDs can' t live without watching DVDs? No? Then one should be able to like the UMDs as well.

There are portable DVD players that are almost as small as the PSP but they don' t come with the ability to play games or mp3 files now do they?

Lots of people who have long traveling distances loves to watch movies on the go. Games often require lots of concentration but watching a movie is just relaxing. Also, you don' t have to watch the entire movie at once. You can watch half of it on your way to work, and the rest on your way home.
Long live the UMDs!

Phoenixxx1974

RE: Film studios cut back on UMD titles - Feb 21, 2006 23:52
I am not saying i hate UMDs i just think they are pointless and not cost efficient.

I have seen portable DVD player that play MP3 but it' s pretty useless since most people have MP3 players nowadays.

If i am traveling i would prefer to have a portable DVD player and watch my own DVDs (and save the money i would have spent on UMDs on games or new DVDs like boix sets of tv series like south park and simpsons and drawn together which are not on UMD) and if i wanted to play a game i would play my DS which has MUCH better games. Plus the DS can play Mpeg 4 movies and Mp3s as well with the play-yan and pretty soon the web browser and TV tuner.

I personally never liked the Idea of UMDs to me like i said it' s just Sony who is persistant on trying to make ONE successful format which they haven' t done yet. Every format they have created has died.

Hey if buying UMDs makes you happy so be it and i am happy for you to be happy but to me it' s just a waste of money to spend extra money to buy a movie you already own (which is more expensive then the DVD itself and no special features i know very few of the new ones might have a special feature or two but i am not impressed). I don' t see UMDs as being practical and economically feasible.

BY the way ginjirou i assume you are not driving to work like most people do? that would be dangerous to watch a movie while driving.

I also wouldn' t count on UMD' s living long, the sales like terry said have seriously declined and at my best buy they hardly ever sell. Plus that is thr point of this article to say that movie studios are slowing down and some may stop production of UMDs.

But hey as terry said there will always be people who love one thign and others who don' t. It won' t bother me when they die out and i will try and not say told you so hehe. The article is my subtle way of saying it hehe
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 28 of 28

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message