Shenmue Online coming 2006?

Phoenix87
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
Shenmue Online coming 2006? - Jan 20, 2006 05:12
2005 were filled with Shenmue related rumours and speculations, different sites like IGN were putting Shenmue 3 first on their Xbox lists then Xbox 360.. but nothing happened and Sega kept silent. Kikizo wrote a large " scope" article early fall 2005 about Shenmue on next generation. TGS came and went and Sega kept silent. And here we are, 5 years after the second installement of Shenmue still craving for one more of Suzuki great stories.

Heres the Status of the franchise:

Shenmue Online - Still in production now by a taiwanese company under the management of Suzuki san and his new studio Am plus(?) former digital rex(?)

Shenmue 3 - According to the Kikizo article the story and basically the entire game is finnished. But, (and this is the sad part) there is no current plans on releasing the game. This is if you can belive Suzuki himself who no longer is a part of the team handling Shenmue 3. Yu has also stated that IF Shenmue 3 ever were being made HE would be in charge of the project (this is how I have grasped the situation anway) and at the moment he is totally off the project.
Also a problem is how to make the game a final product, and on what plattform would the game sell it' s most.
I personally believe that Shenmue chapters 1-16 should be called something like Shenmue Legends so people would get that it' s more than just a sequal.
I also strongly believe on multi-plattform for Shenmue... the game is hyped enough already... I say let people enjoy more Shenmue!

(sorry for bad spelling and grammar my english is a bit.. rusty, but I' m sure you' ll understand the context)

Edit: just editing the title which is too long. Also we didn' t say " the enire game is finished" .
< Message edited by Adam Doree -- 27 Jan 06 19:06:17 >

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 05:23
As i understood it, Shemue 3 hadn' t been made and Yu talked about finishing the story through a CGI feture along the lines of Advent Children...

Where did you get your information?

Phoenix87
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 05:28

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200508/141_p1.asp

if you haven' t seen it already...

Also, is there any word on the Kikizo - Suzuki interview?
Heard it was pushed back but I really hope it' s still on.

Phoenix87
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 05:36
I took some info from recent interviews with Suzuki san when he talked about Shenmue and stuff.. I think it' s basically that interview that pissed Adam off some time ago and answered the fans at the Shenmue dojo. Something with the translation was wrong in one of the articles (from some game site I currently have forgotten)

I think my view of the situation is pretty accurate but if you got some info I don' t it would sure make me happy. =)

also I' m brand new to the forum and this is my first post..

One thing that really makes me mad is that Sega released five screenshots of Shenmue Online but they told us nada about the game itself..

Ohh gosh.. I really need stop worrying about Shenmue...

...the best freakin game series there is!...

damn..

Nitro
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 05:42
But that story say' s it IS planned for release...

and... " it will depend on a hardware manufacturer deal - if they get a profitable deal it will be exclusive to one format, but, if it makes more sense, it might be worthwhile [to release] on multi platform. The options are still open."

If that' s the case, then i can' t see Microsoft letting the opportunity go by. They' d pay whatever, if only to help the situation in Japan.

" As we touched on earlier, a final platform, or platforms, for Shenmue 3 are yet to be finalised. Indeed, we weren' t able to clarify whether the exclusivity discussions with the firstparties have actually started yet. But from a purely speculative point of view, it seems most likely to us that Xbox 360 will be the initial host for the future of Shenmue; Microsoft has been absolutely determined to sign up exclusive Japanese-developed content for its new console.." ADAM DOREE

It sucks that Yu has had such little involvement with part 3 though, i didn' t know that. Proves my ignorance i guess. I shall have myself whipped immediately!

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 06:23
Little does poor Suzuki-san know that the guy in charge of developing the next Shenmue is Yuji Naka and his plans call for Ryo running around, collecting golden rings and spin dashing his enemies.
Terry Bogard - currently the most Unhelpful member of the Kikizo forums.

Nitro
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 06:45
Cue the famous blue rodent!!

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 06:46
That actually sounds fun Terry

(yeah im just bashing the game, since i havent played it, i have to assume its bad )

Nitro
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 07:16
Which game? Shenmue? If you' ve never played it you HAVE to!

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 07:24
I wouldn' t be so proud of not even playing shenmue - it shows your level of awareness as a gamer at some point.

Did you play Ocarina of Time then?

< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 20 Jan 06 15:32:25 >

Nitro
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 07:59
I bet he didn' t. He probably ignored N64 and just had a Playstation. People should strive to get all console so they don' t miss out on these things. It' s like people who don' t have a Gamecube, if they don' t get a Revolution (N5) then they' ll miss out on Twilight Princess too!

Sega Boy
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 08:16
I hope they do release Shenmue 3, but if they did i think it would have to be a complilation and include shenmue 1 and 2.

If they just released the continuation of the story as Shenmue 3, the game would probably only be purchased by people who had played the first 2, which unfortunately isnt that many, so it probably wouldnt be profitable for Sega to do so.

Ive owned all the consoles since the NES, and played hundreds of games over the years, but nothing has come close to the experience Shenmue 1&2 has given me. Those games are just on a completely different level to everything else, and the saga has to continue.

There are very few games on the horizon that hold much interest for me, im looking forward to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Phantasy Star Universe, the new Sonic, and a few others, but id kill for Shenmue 3. Id also really like a sequel to Skies of Arcadia, im sure years ago i heard a rumour about a sequel, but im not sure.

Kannon
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 16:34
Yeah you did hear that about Skies of Arcadia (Eternal Arcadia).
I really don' t know what Sega is doing in regard to established Ips

Vx Chemical
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 16:51
I did play Oceariana of Time, but i didnt complete it, i played it on my Gamecube, i got all the Zelda Special additions for it. I didnt like it as much as WW

i never had a N64, i never had a NES, a SNES, a dreamcast, a saturn, or even a mastersystem. My first system was a commodore 64, so of the old console games, the only ones i played were the ones released on that.

After that got too old, i got myself a 486, with 4mb of ram and 25mhz after that i was a pc gamer, and i mostly have been untill i got my 360, only playing a few games on consoles.

I might not have played all the console classics, but iv played all the PC classics.

Nitro
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 19:56
Quake! *ground trembles*

Vx Chemical
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 21:41
of all classics you picked the one i always hated ;)

I was more of a duke nukem guy, though i really liked Quake 2 and 3

SIN was great too

Phoenix87
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 22:03
Shenmue...

Is anyone more then me eager to see Joy in S3?
She is such a beauty...
And thus the saga...begins...

Nitro
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 23:10

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

of all classics you picked the one i always hated ;)

I was more of a duke nukem guy, though i really liked Quake 2 and 3

SIN was great too

Sin sucked.

Quake was fantastic and so was Duke Nukem 3D. Blood was good but the sequel was terrible.

Quake 2 and Unreal were amazing, as were Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. Revolutionized online gaming!

Doom 2 is better than them all though...

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 20, 2006 23:27
Quake 1 what an awesome game - it really kicked my ass.

I' d say your PC background explains a lot of your opinions :)

Phoenix87
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 28, 2006 00:00
Wut do you guys think about Shenmue on the Nintendo Revolution? Since i guess the game isn' t going to be as " nice looking" as other next gen games maybe it' s a good idea to release it on the " weakest" system? But ya know Suzuki san tends to develop for powerful hardware soo...

Phoenix87
RE: Shenmue Online coming 2006? (Asia only?) your thoughts about the Shenmue franchise... - Jan 28, 2006 00:05
and this is an old thread so stop whining and start brainstorming instead.. it' s kinda fun

I think the problem when discussing Shenmue nowdays is that no ones really sure about anything and there' s always some idiot posting pictures from 2003 from some lame fansite that hasn' t been updated since then.

Regardless on what we will, or will not find out by the Yu Suzuki interview that it will be interesting hearing about what his up too.. don' t you?