i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
  • Reward points : 0
i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 09:10
sorry guys i guess it' s inappropriate to post about this personal matter here but i guess i' m desperatly in need of help... i have a problem with my pc ( 3ghz, 1 go ram, 9800 pro atlantis 128)

in far cry for instance, when i turn textures to " very high" all others set to " high" with 1024*768 no AA, most of the time during gameplay i have an average of 35 fps then there is a serious sudden drop in fps to reach 7 fps!!! that happens " usualy" around corners or opening a door and getting to a new area... there are times when there is even a light display and even so it will crawl to around 7fps... to solve that i should look somewhere else to display something different !! is it because of my memory video 128 not a 256?? the problems seems coming from textures so far

now i noticed this problem on call of duty 2, FEAR, medal of honor (when i make textures " very" high ), is it normal or my card is saying goodbye ??

please please help me.

PSU 480W
no spyware or viruses detected
cataslyst 5.10 , service pack 2, everything is updated.

P.S: the problem never occured while playing Quake 4 and doom 3, both (1027*768 AA*2) everything set to high... (quake 4 not very high because that mode says i should have 512mo video, i didnt even dare)
< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 5 Nov 05 17:13:48 >

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 09:15
I' m not a PC gamer, but it could be an issue of trade-offs. Have you tried lower texture settings than " very high" ? Also what exactly are the other settings that you' ve set to " High" ?
Terry Bogard - currently the most Unhelpful member of the Kikizo forums.

Abasoufiane
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 09:23
thanks terry for the quick reply, in far cry all things are set to high (water, ligh, shadow, euuuh can' t remember all og them) except textures that are very high, when i make textures high there is no problem...
same for other games, in FEAR when i set textures very high (well at least they say that this mode will drop fps seriously) but i don' t think it should be that way, not from a 40 to 7 just because i entered a new area even if it' s relatively big i think it' s an issue .
when i set medal of honor textures to very high, again sometimes there is a a sudden huuuge slowdown (3 fps), while high is absolutly ok... oh my god i don' t know how to explain that, it' s always me who have the unique problem on earth

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 09:35
Well sounds like the temporary solution to your problem is simple, just don' t set textures too high . Also, selecting a high level of lighting can also be an attributing factor. I' d just lower each of the settings to what I would find visually acceptable and try playing that way.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 5 Nov 05 17:37:56 >
Terry Bogard - currently the most Unhelpful member of the Kikizo forums.

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 09:38
I got a p4 3ghz 1024 ram ati radeon 9800 pro 256mb,i play for ex call of duty 2 at highest with 1024' 768 2xaa and get like 50-60 fps min, same with quake4+fear,so i dont know what to tell you,and i also got a 2,5 half year old 19 TFT.
And i have the latest catalyst too,but try take medium or high in some places if you have so big drop problems in terms of fps.
Or turn of shadows,in fear/quake4 it will make a big diffrence,and still there is shadows in the game so dont worry.

But just so you know,ati radeon 9800 pro 256mb,is a high end card,but there is better ones now,and you had the 128 mb,i suggest going med/hard with mixing,and turning of shadows,and play at 1024' 768.
It should work.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 5 Nov 05 17:48:38 >
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Abasoufiane
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 09:49
well you know how textures are important in a game to make it look better, fortunatly quake 4 made it and the game look stunning , the best graphics i' ve ever seen right Quezcatol?? but anyway i hope that soem of you guys can solve my problem or at least if you have 9800 pro " 128" , do you experience the same problem when setting textures very high , do not include old games as those i can play them with not a single problem...
my 3dmark score 2005 : 2550 , 3d mark score 2003: 5800 , again not a single problem while benchmarking

QuezcatoL
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 09:52
Turn of shadow,it will make a huge diffrence,and shadows will still be there.
And btw,i play quake4 at high,but not ultra high, my whole freaking pc turns to dust then.

Abasoufiane
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 09:54
quezcatol my friend, i' ve lready said it , there is no problem in quake 4 , and shadows are not the problem , only textures when set to very high and may be bt i' m not sure abou this one when (volumitric light on are very high) the difference between our two card are only in memory, and memory has to do with textures, but i need a confirmation, i need to make sure that my card is ok , thank you for the answer ... by the way call od duty 2 is great but are u using " fraps" to see how many fps ???

QuezcatoL
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 10:03
no,i just feel it,i run very fast with no slow down,i compare to other games i played,for ex halo to xbox runs 30 fps and so does ghost recon,and i can feel it,so i could when the game told me 40-60 fps in quke4.
I cant even put on very high oin texture, just high,i can go from high to ultra high,but that make my pc go crazy,and its totally worthless,seeing how there is no diffrence in graphic that i could see and it drops 20-30 fps.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 5 Nov 05 18:04:23 >

Abasoufiane
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 10:21
it' s kinda hard to know fps in a game, so here is my advice use fraps, it' s a small free software that will enable oyu to take pictures in a game and the fps on the corner , so it' s very useful, you could have done hat with your other pictures so you can give valuable information as if the game runs great or not, that' s what i needed from you last time when you posted the pictures..
i' m sure that your average fps in callofduty2 cannot be 50-60 min with 1024*768 2*aa, that' s just impossible with a 9800 pro 256, you' ll find out when you will use fraps.

QuezcatoL
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 11:18
http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/9269/codingame8ol.jpg

http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/2685/cod227hu.jpg

Okay so i was a little wrong,i had avg 38-40 fps,same as i have in fear

http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/959/fearfps7zv.jpg

However irecently dl omega drivers 5.10 and got 40+ in fps.

http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/1806/shit1el.jpg

this is how fear look for me.

http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/368/texturer7bn.jpg

some texture look...

Yes i wasn' t at 60 fps or avg 55 as i though,but you kind of feel it when the game run so fast,but 45+fps was good enough.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 5 Nov 05 19:20:15 >

Abasoufiane
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 11:40
links are not working but i still think that averaging 40fps in COD2 is very impressive for a 9800 pro 256, well mine also make it but not in the first level (the very begining when the captain teach you the first moves) i think it' s because of the snow , i do have an average 45 fps (800*600 aa*2) in egypt (night), ok well i guess there is no hope in this forum, well i expected so it' s not like it' s the right place but one could hope lol

QuezcatoL
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 11:53
Who cares about fps numbers? if it runs good for you,then why even bother?

UnluckyOne
  • Total Posts : 995
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 17:56
By the sounds of it you' re just running out of video memory. Increasing the windows pagefile could also help alleviate some of the problem. How much is it currently set at?

KiLLeR
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 05, 2005 22:38
Lightining and shadow should be lowered. I kno u said it' s the textures, but have u tried high textures and medium lightining or shadow???? try shutting off as many progs as possible, just cuz u have 1GB of ram (btw, what kind of ram?) doesn' t mean u can have a shitload of appz running and a game. try updating ur chip drivers, Like i have a Via chip, was having probs with Halo, then upgraded drivers and it worked like a charm. Dont' t forget, it is a 128 DDR that u have in ur video card, and it' s also atlantis, not really good quality. If u had the same card, but made by ATI it would be much better as a videocard. If u have a intel processor, that could be the prob as we all know AMD performs better in videogames. Try to go to www.tomshardware.com and look around there, great site for PC info.

UnluckyOne
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 06, 2005 01:57

and it' s also atlantis, not really good quality. If u had the same card, but made by ATI it would be much better as a videocard.

It doesn' t matter who the graphics card is supplied by - it' s still a fully functioning ATI 9800 pro. The only difference between a stock reference ATI board and a 3rd party one would be the software package and maybe cooling solution. The chipset/architecture and performance is always the same.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 6 Nov 05 9:57:59 >

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 06, 2005 02:15
It sounds like you don' t have enough video memory. You should adjust your video aperature in your BIOS. To do that you just hit delete or f8 or something (it is different for different motherboards and porbably says on the screen " hit f5 for BIOS" ) when your computer is starting up. Then somewhere in those options there should be video aperature size. Set this to at least 128 mb. Since you have 1 gb of system ram you can easily afford that, you might even want to try 256 mb. I' m guessing this will solve the problem. The reason it drops to 7 around corners and stuff is because it has to load all of the new textures into memory and get rid of the old ones. That is why with lower detailed textures you don' t have the problem, they take up less memory.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Abasoufiane
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 06, 2005 04:17
that' s exactly what i thought locopuyo and i had already the agp aperture size set to 256... i just really wanna know if this is normal because i heard (although i have some doubts now lol) that people with 9800 pro 128 run far cry at the fullest, meaning they set also textures to very high, see that' s why i' m confused ... i did update my chipset ... my ram it' s samsung ddr sdram 2*256 on dual chanel and 512 ...

unluckyone, i don' t know what' s " Increasing the windows pagefile " wher' s that , do you mean virtual memory??? if it' s so it' s set to 1536 mo ... may be this is the problem actualy , i' ll increase that to 2536 mo ...

thank you all for your answers i really appreciate it.

Abasoufiane
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 06, 2005 04:21
virtual memory now 2000-3600

UnluckyOne
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 06, 2005 04:49

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

virtual memory now 2000-3600

Your pagefile (virtual memory) should ideally be 150% of your system RAM. 200% is also acceptable. Anything higher is usually just a waste of hard drive space. So if you have 1024MB of RAM, your pagefile should ideally be at 1536MB or if necessary 2048MB. And make sure it' s a static number (ie 1536MB - 1536MB) instead of a flexible number like you have now. By making sure that the max and min are the same it' ll stop windows trying to increase the pagefile in the middle of a game, turning it into stutter city.

edit. oh and also try defragmenting the hard drive after you' ve done all of these changes. Sometimes I' ve found that a good defrag really helps your system out after you' ve installed all of those games. If you really want to you can set your pagefile to 0, reboot, do a defrag and then set the pagefile to the size you want it. That way your pagefile won' t be fragmented either and it can be used more efficiently.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 7 Nov 05 1:34:32 >

Abasoufiane
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 06, 2005 14:26
well guys thank you so much for your help and special thanks to unluckyone who really solved my problem which disapeared so far so i' m really happy about this, i totaly lost hope for 2 months... so the solutions as it seems are either the virtual memory or the omega driver (specialy turning fast write off) now even if i set textures to very high, that sudden drop in fps doesn' t happen , in fact it happens but it recovers instantly and i guess that' s what should be with 128 mb and far cry now is in its fullest glory and fully playable with most of the times very high fps, only those little freezes of (0.5s) that i mentioned above (when textures are very high) are present now and i' m not worried since it' s normal...

ps for killer: 9800 pro atlantis made by sapphire is a very good card, in fact it' s the best 9800 pro for its overclock ability and sapphire is a very respectable brand now.

thank you all again

Abasoufiane
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 06, 2005 15:29
quezcatol i have just one question, let me tell you that your card behave like a 6800 gt , i' ve seen you pics about fear and the one that really strikes me is when you showed up that benchmark of fear , just by compraison mine with 800 * 600 NO AA, with textures medium

mine: (800*600 no AA, everything full except texture medium)

20% below 25 fps
47% between 25fps and 40 fps
33% above 40 fps

quezcatol as he claimed (1024*768, 2AA, fullest)

11% below 25 fps
36% between 25fps and 40 fps
53% over 40 fps

this is truly amazing with these setting you pushed your card to, it leaves my card to dust, never ever a 256 card could have such a difference over a 128, anyone can confirm this please??? man if it' s so then all these websites and that tomhardware guy should resign ?? man your card is a hybrid of some sort, it doesn' t look like a 9800 pro at all
< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 6 Nov 05 23:30:51 >

UnluckyOne
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 06, 2005 16:22
Actually in the newer games the 256MB cards really do help. Back when the 256MB 9800 pro cards were recently released the extra 128MB didn' t make any difference because the games didn' t make use of the memory. Now textures are getting larger and more detailed so I' m not suprised that a 256MB 9800 pro is performing better than a 128MB 9800 pro in games like FEAR and COD2. However, if you played UT2004 and compared the 2 cards you' d see little difference because the game doesn' t need that much memory.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 7 Nov 05 0:22:55 >

QuezcatoL
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 06, 2005 16:45
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1817/fear6zd.jpg

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9251/dday3fu.jpg

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5430/dieee0bz.jpg

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/8817/frstaspelrundan7na.jpg

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/8594/halllll8uf.jpg

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5240/bild8lb.jpg

Abasoufiane so you cant have this kind of graphic at all?
running at 40+ fps?
Mayby you have a lot of virus?
scan pc,sometimes when you been on wrong sites you can get a lot of virus.
Or mayby its like unluckyone said,cause i really know nothing about pc' s and he sound as he does though

" EDIT" btw i finished cod2+fear run smooth all levels expect one in fear,but in gamespots gameguide they said turn of all details,this map is a killer to any pc.
But other then that i was very supriced that they run as smooth as possible :P
Thats why i wanted oblivion,cause i guess my pc can atleast handle it
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 7 Nov 05 0:56:55 >

Sakr
  • Total Posts : 15
new grafik card - Nov 07, 2005 12:12
i think you should buy a new grafik card, what about a 7800 with 512mo, if not you have to play the first half life. you´ll can sure set it as high as you want with your 9800 pro .

QuezcatoL
RE: i don' t know where to post that but please heeelp - Nov 07, 2005 13:29
Yes,a good solution is to ask people to buy the best and most expensive things.
There is a reason why he doesnt have it...nor majority of gamers.