What classic game needs to be revisited?

professor
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 02, 2004 06:05
With Ninja Gaiden now garnering critical acclaim, what other classics from the 8-bit and 16-bit days deserve a turn on the next-gen consoles?

One of my votes would go to Strider.

Another would go to an online version of Tecmo Bowl. Bear in mind, I wouldn' t want them to completely revamp the game. It needs to retain the basic feel and gameplay ethics of the original Tecmo Bowl, but with amazing online features, a modern franchise mode, and the best damn 2d visuals you' ve ever seen.

lotusson
  • Total Posts : 1212
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 02, 2004 11:56

What classic game needs to be revisited?

Sonic Adventure..... what?!? I for one liked the adventure aspects of Sonic Adventure. I thought they were a fresh idea for the series and using Sonic for other than running in a straight line was fun. It added a little bit more depth not found in the later Sonic titles and could be a standard feature of the series if expanded on.

HELLBENT
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 02, 2004 13:21
This game isnt exactly a " classic" . But it is an old game that I really got into back in the day. Well...I guess it is a classic in the classic sense of the word-it just wasnt a mega hit or anything. Anyhow:

ZILLION

With all these stealth oriented action titles around today this game would fit nicely into this genre and might even do really well if done properly.
N.O.R.E.2? Who the hell is he?

fathoms
  • Total Posts : 1060
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 02, 2004 13:45
Hmm...

Gunstar Heroes
Ghouls ' n Ghosts
Strider
Golden Axe
Battletoads

< Message edited by fathoms -- 8/24/2004 5:19:20 PM >
Kikizo Staff Writer

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 02, 2004 18:41
I hear ya on the Gunstar fathoms, but I doubt BattleToads (I loved the SNES version) would work in 3D. I mean look at the new Ninja Turtles. Also,
Ghosts ' n Goblins has been remade. (Maximo, the devs said it was an unoficial remake). And Golden Axe? Bring it on, I smell best seller already, I love it. But, there is one that stands above all else... SMASH TV, I want a console remake of it. I hope some devs are listening. PLEASE.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

fathoms
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 02, 2004 19:21
Actually, all I want is the second-coming of the side-scrolling action/adventure.
Kikizo Staff Writer

Draska02
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 03, 2004 00:17
I dunno about all you but how about Earthbound? That was a classic snes title; they started making Earthbound 64, but it never finished. Oh man Earthbound... yeah those were the days...

Gossi_the_dog
  • Total Posts : 273
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 03, 2004 00:26
Streets of Rage.
A 2D Sonic.
A 2D Shinobi.
A 2D Mario.

professor
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 03, 2004 07:22
Any beat-em-up like Streets of Rage or Golden Axe could be quite fun on Xbox Live, but I' m not sure how long the honeymoon would last.

A 2D side-scrolling metroid with hyper-detailed textures and brilliant particle effects would be pretty cool.

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 04, 2004 19:04
Sorry to tell you fathoms, but it was attempted, and the results weren' t pretty (graphics wise, sound wise, or gameplay wise) It was a budget title on XBox. But yeah, if a real developer made 2-D sidescrolling return, it could be awsome.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

fathoms
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 04, 2004 21:04
Immortal: Yes, I know. But one of the better 2D games (with a 3D background) is Silpheed, a top-down vertically-scrolling shooter that came out a little after the PS2 launch. That was a darn good game.

And one of the best ever, or possibly THE best ever, was CV: SotN on the PSone. It may be last generation, but it was still gorgeous. Imagine what could be done NOW?
Kikizo Staff Writer

lotusson
  • Total Posts : 1212
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 04, 2004 21:11

A 2D side-scrolling metroid with hyper-detailed textures and brilliant particle effects would be pretty cool.

GBA

Gossi_the_dog
  • Total Posts : 273
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 04, 2004 21:45

Actually, all I want is the second-coming of the side-scrolling action/adventure

It' s called Viewtiful Joe.

neminem
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 04, 2004 22:09
Yeah, it would be nice to see more non-3d Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Castlevania/etc. games. Not just remakes with better graphics, actually new games.

Russian Mobster
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 09, 2004 19:00
I say remake all the marios from NES,SNES in full 3-D.

fathoms
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 10, 2004 13:46
" I say remake all the marios from NES,SNES in full 3-D."

Ummm...NO. Mario will always be the best in 2D side-scrolling. Mario 3 in 3D? No, no, no.
Kikizo Staff Writer

JRock79
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 12, 2004 16:00
Bayou Billy

Guardian Heroes

Shantae

Gamer
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Reward points : 18435
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 13, 2004 19:52
jewel master i believe it was called, awesome side-scroller

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Mar 13, 2004 21:04
1- Alex Kidd, the remake BETTER kickA$$! I still want a 2D update.

2- We NEED a side scrolling Zillion 3!

3- Super Hang-on: In my opinion the BEST motorcycle racing game on the planet.

4- Space Harrier: I want a real Yu Suzuki update, not the slow, fruity crap that was Planet Harriers.

5- Salamander: Salamander 2 (aka Life Force 2) was one of the best shooters to me, I' m dying for a Salamander 3.

6- Gradius 6: YEAH I know Gradius V isn' t out yet but it doesn' t really feel like a Gradius game thanks to Treasure' s touch. I want the next Gradius game to be developed by Konami' s Gradius team, no outside parties.

7- XEXEX, Thunder Cross, Thunder Force, and a bunch of other side scrolling shooters need to be revisited.

DaRoosh65
  • Total Posts : 1968
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Aug 24, 2004 16:08
Well, this is a 32-bit game, but one that I loved on the Sega Saturn...

Daytona USA
Videogaming is the contemporary interactive pasttime.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Aug 24, 2004 17:18
Try Daytona USA on the Dreamcast. It pwnz joo. Yes, it is so awesome that it actually makes me say things like " pwnz joo" . Just remember to hold UP on the stick at all times for superior control.

I want an update to Ghouls ' N Ghosts (not the crappy ass Ghosts ' N Goblins like Fathoms wants). Super Ghouls ' N Ghosts doesn' t count. It' s far too slow, has awkward play mechanics, and doesn' t have anywhere near as cool of a design as Ghouls ' N Ghosts.

fathoms
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Aug 24, 2004 17:20

I want an update to Ghouls ' N Ghosts (not the crappy ass Ghosts ' N Goblins like Fathoms wants).

Goddamnit, I ALWAYS get those two mixed up!

Fixed.
Kikizo Staff Writer

music_maniac1965
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: What classic game needs to be revisited? - Aug 24, 2004 17:32
hmmmm, most of my favorite has been said allready, but here goes (with explenation)

> ghosts ' n goblins. (this one started it all for me on the commodore 64, and if they keep the style of the new 3D worlds close to the theme' s of the old version, and the game would get good responsive play mechanics, everything should be A OK !)

> ghouls ' n ghosts. (the sequel to a amazing game. for this renewal the same rulez as above)

> super hangon. (the hangon game on the saturn is oh so terrible. now with games like moto GP 2 and 3, there is no reason why super hangon could not get better controlls than the old 3D version. comon sega, with outrun 2 you proved that you really have some exelent talent working for you. after outrun 2 is done on xbox, kick em on this project :P )

> jaguar xj220. (this game on the sega mega cd has a way exelent track editor. if they would make this game in 3D on the xbox, and also with a exelent track editor, we could create way much new tracks, and save them on the hard disk !)

> batman returns. (this game was also on the sega mega cd. the driving part with the shooting at car' s and bikers is way cool. imagine a modern day version with way destructive wapons on the batmobile ! a interactive world where you could destroy everything <or at least a lot> would sertainly be great !)

> turtles. (no no no, not like the new turtles, but i' d prefer a 3D game that has levels looking like the 2D arcade version we used to play. they need to have their old voices, so getting samples from the old cartoon series is a must.)

that was it for now, if i thingk of some more cool old games that could be " upgraded" i let you know :D