Is your console online?

whatabout_paul
  • Total Posts : 1227
  • Reward points : 0
Is your console online? - Oct 29, 2004 00:07
With Sony and Microsoft trying to push Online games as the next big thing I was just wondering who’s actually played their PS2 or X-Box online? And if so is it even that great?

I am curious about online gaming but am a bit put off by the monthly fees at the moment. That and the fact I only own two games I would like to take online with the majority being strategy or FPS games I have no interest in.

I think the best part of having consoles online is being able to download extra content to games but it’s shocking to see how un-used this feature is being. X-Box games specifically should be offering much more downloadable content thanks to it’s hard drive being able to support it.

What do you guys think?

fathoms
  • Total Posts : 1060
RE: Is your console online? - Oct 29, 2004 00:26
Personally, I have no use for online play. I' ve tried it several times, and I always ended up playing a bunch of cheating morons. On top of which, given the amount of time I spent troubleshooting crap, it made it even LESS worth it. I know it can be fun, but for me, you have no IDEA just how little I care.

I say try it a bit first before investing in it.
Kikizo Staff Writer

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Is your console online? - Oct 29, 2004 00:59
I used to play online with PC alot but since my computer not strong enuff for new games nemore I switched to online with my consoles. I think Xbox offers the best so far with only cable or DSL players and its $50 for one year (additional fees dependong on what you d/l - usually $5).

I say get it if you want to play against many others and dont wanna bother with all the hooking up of consoles and finding excess TVs. If you only have dial up then Xbox is out of the question no matter what.

One recomendation tho is yer gonnna go the xbox route. Get an xbox live game and use the 2 free months deal to test it and see if you like it, I think PS2 has somin like that also. Like fathoms said test it before you throw money into it.

< Message edited by Mass X -- 10/29/2004 1:01:58 AM >

yoshimitsu15
  • Total Posts : 1038
RE: Is your console online? - Oct 29, 2004 01:39
I' ve been an Xbox Live player since the beginning (and a little before as I was a beta tester), and I' ve also been a big advocate of the service. The reason is that Sony would not accept me as a customer.

Anyways...I like playing online, although I don' t get to play all that often anymore. There' s just a certain level of competition that you can only find online, via consoles or PC' s. I' m always after that perfect game, the one where you run through and trash everybody playing. That' s the reason why I play online.

And about the downloadable content for Live. I think soon we' re going to see some big improvements to that. Games like Pariah are actually including level editors, which we can then make new levels and load them onto Live. This will give games that normally wouldn' t have that much replay a little boost in that area. With that being said, there is still a lot that can happen to get even more downloadable content. I remember in the beginning when we only had Unreal Championship. We were promised new maps in about 3 months...well, around 8 months later we finally get the new maps but by then the majority of the players moved over to the superior RTCW. 8 months is way too damn long for a handful of maps...way too long.
In response to the following complaint I have decided to change my signature:

" by the way, yoshimitsu you might want to click the little checkbox that makes your signature disappear." -Jonah Shoemaker, Residential Dumbass

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Is your console online? - Oct 29, 2004 01:54
Both my Xbox and PS2 are online capable, and I have played multiple games online for both. However I feel that playing a game online gets old kind of fast, especially with the kind of folk you meet online. Crimson Skies is my favorite online game, but I still enjoy the single player mode a bit more. All that said, I think I may cancel my Xbox Live subscription. Sure, it' s better than what Sony offers for free, but not $50 a year better. At least not in my wallet' s opinion.

How the hell do you cancel Xbox Live anyway?

Starman Anthony
  • Total Posts : 563
RE: Is your console online? - Oct 29, 2004 02:26
I used to play THUG2 online with my Playstation 2. It was fun but then I quit because it was charging me a little more and well I' ll just stick to being online with PC. I do however have the free AOl service for connecting to download stuff like my face to THUG2.

PS2Poodoo
  • Total Posts : 273
RE: Is your console online? - Oct 29, 2004 03:45
I have my PS2 and my XBOX online. I love both of them.

PS2 online is nice b/c it' s free, but it' s up to the developers to come up with the online service. This hinders it' s reliability. Socom 2 is still my favorite online shooter, but not b/c it was made well, unfortunately.

Xbox Live has surprised the hell out of me. Great online service. I hate paying for online, but I feel my money is pretty well spent on Live. I do wish there was more downloadable content, but atleast there is some content(unlike my PS2).

Games like Ratchet and Clank: Up your arsenal are the reason to get your console online. There are games that can' t be found for the PC. The PC is optimal for shooters, but I like a wider variety of games. If you are anything like that, then having your console online is an advantage.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Is your console online? - Oct 29, 2004 05:19
You can download new maps for Suck ' Em 2, err I mean SOCOM 2 to your PS2 hard drive if you have it. When Sony releases a peripheral like the hard drive, they support it FOR LIFE damn it! Yay!

DaRoosh65
  • Total Posts : 1968
RE: Is your console online? - Oct 29, 2004 16:21
I enjoyed playing Mech Assault online.

I just felt it wasn' t worth the expense to play against others online, when I have friends nearby. Remember, you can' t go out and get a bite to eat or see a movie with an online opponent living hundreds, or even thousands, of miles away without major considerations.

Besides, I might have gotten more out of the Live! service, if I had more games that were playable online.

And to answer the question concerning how to cancel the XBOX Live! service, you can call the customer service number (provided in your XBOX Live! kit) and request a cancellation.

< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 10/29/2004 4:21:58 PM >
Videogaming is the contemporary interactive pasttime.