Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question.

DaRoosh65
  • Total Posts : 1968
  • Reward points : 0
Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 23, 2004 02:28
My fiancee' s cousin called a while back to get the cheat codes for a game her parents just bought for her.

This girl didn' t even try to play the game first, she just wanted to go through the motions to get to the game' s end without the struggle, experience, and enjoyment the game was intended to provide. This is not to mention the pride and fulfillment one feels upon completing a game all by themselves.

What happened to playing through an entire game without cheat codes?

I can understand if a person gets stuck in a game, has tried everything they know to get past that point, and still needs to refer to a walkthrough just enough to get past the trouble spot. I consider that to be OK, as long as they read no further into the walkthrough than is necessary to progress.

Or, if you' re playing a sports title... and your friend tries to use a cheat code to amp-up his team' s performance or gameplay, this is just plain wrong!!!

Use your natural gameplay talent!!! ...even if you su**!!!

Do you use cheat codes? Why (or, Why not)?
Videogaming is the contemporary interactive pasttime.

Rikka
  • Total Posts : 933
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 23, 2004 04:34
Only game i ever have used, and ever will use, cheat codes in is The Sims. And even then, I only use the one to give me lots and lots of money. But there isn' t really a goal in playing The Sims.

whatabout_paul
  • Total Posts : 1227
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 23, 2004 12:50
I don' t bother much with cheats anymore. I used to be a bit of a cheat fiend back when I had my Megadrive but in the past few years I' ve learnt to value games more. There' s not much point I feel blasting through a game with invincibility just because there' s no challenge. I' d hate to spend £40 on a game then cheat to the end in a record time. It' s a waste of money! Most games this era are easy anyway with only a few noticeable exceptions.

The only time I' d use cheats now is to get more out of a game. I will play through a game and unlock all its secrets without cheating if possible but some games force you to use cheats to get an extra something you could not unlock without cheating. Also in a game like GTA I' ll complete then put some cheats on for a bit of a mess about to extend the life of the game.

RavenShadow
  • Total Posts : 680
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 23, 2004 15:44
I never use cheat CODES when playing a game unless I have already beaten it and I might be just messing around; but I hardly ever do that.
However, I do occasionally " cheat" by going to a walkthrough if I get stuck in a game or want to find some secret something or other in a game.

I' m not proud of it but sometimes you just have to.

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 23, 2004 18:28
I dont use codes til I beaten the game. Or when the codes just for fun like altering the look of the game. But once Ive beaten the game I go code crazy and just have fun with it.

toxicavenger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 24, 2004 01:55
i have a good system that works for me. beat a game first with no cheats, then after that, use as many to make the replay fun. its always been hard though to not use a cheat on that damn cyberdemon in doom 3 when the cheat is just god...
< Message edited by toxicavenger -- 9/24/2004 1:56:41 AM >
febreZe fabric refresher EXTRA STRENGTH origianl scent

SlayersZel
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 24, 2004 18:46
I don' t use cheats anymore, none of the games I have support them. I use to back on my NES and SNES. The only code I remember is the Konami code, which I used in Gradius (SNES) and in Super C (NES).

IORI YAGAMI1211
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 24, 2004 22:27
I USE CHEAT CODES FOR GAMES I RENT. I MEAN IF I AM NOT GOING TO BUY THE GAME, AND I WILL HAVE IT FOR A CUOPLE OF DAYS WHY NOT. I DO NOT CHEAT FOR GAMES I BUY, I WOULD BE OUT 30-50 BUCKS IF I DID THAT. CHEATING IS COOL FOR RENTING RIGHT? SOMEONE GET BACK TO ME ABOUT THAT ONE PLZ.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 24, 2004 23:17
Hell I didn' t even know they still had " cheat codes" for this generation of gaming. Of course people who buy the Game Genie or whatnot will tell you they can' t even play without cheating.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 9/24/2004 11:17:40 PM >

Rikka
  • Total Posts : 933
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 25, 2004 01:00
Ah yes, i remember always using the Game Genie on NES! that was fun. i am guilty of consuting walkthroughs if I get stuck in RPG' s.

whatabout_paul
  • Total Posts : 1227
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 25, 2004 13:23
IORI YAGAMI1211, I' d still hate to do that. Most games I rent are to preview them or because I can' t afford to buy them. It' s still ruining a game for me by cheating to finish it because I am not getting the full experience of it... the full challenge.

yoshimitsu15
  • Total Posts : 1038
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 25, 2004 14:11
I rarely play with codes. The last time I used a code to make my way through a game was Morrowind. The only reason was I had already gotten really far and I had to delete my gamesave so I just used a few glitches and codes to get back to that spot.

I know a guy who uses codes...hell, he even used codes to get everything in Fable which is a pretty easy game.
In response to the following complaint I have decided to change my signature:

" by the way, yoshimitsu you might want to click the little checkbox that makes your signature disappear." -Jonah Shoemaker, Residential Dumbass

toxicavenger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Cheat Codes...To Use Or Not To Use...That Is The Question. - Sep 25, 2004 15:25
SlayersZel said
I don' t use cheats anymore, none of the games I have support them. I use to back on my NES and SNES. The only code I remember is the Konami code, which I used in Gradius (SNES) and in Super C (NES).

remember the Game genie? they had one for both nes and snes. i remember playing super mario 3 with the whole game being statue mario. it had a wierd glitch at the end boss (bowser) that if you didn' t hold up when you walked through the door it would freeze... weird.
febreZe fabric refresher EXTRA STRENGTH origianl scent