Sony to Use Blu-ray Disc For its NextGen Console

DaRoosh65
  • Total Posts : 1968
  • Reward points : 0
Sony to Use Blu-ray Disc For its NextGen Console - Sep 22, 2004 03:01
Sony to Use Blu-ray Disc For its NextGen Console

At this year' s TGS Sony revealed the PS3 will have greater storage capacity.

By Rainier Van Autrijve | Sept. 21, 2004

Earlier today Sony announced at their PlayStation Business Briefing 2004, that their next generation Playstation will be using Sony' s latest storage format, Blu-ray Disc (BD).

Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new generation high-density optical disc format that enables recording and playback of digital high-definition video signals and programs. BD-ROM format has a huge memory size of 54 GB (dual layer, single side), which is 6 times larger than that of a regular DVD-ROM.

BD will also support the Hi-Vision TV broadcasting MPEG2-TS compression technology, making it possible to reproduce extremely high resolution HD video images. With the introduction of the latest high-compression code/decode technology (MPEG4-AVC, VC-1), playback of high-quality video images from HD video signals becomes possible even under a low bit-rate environment.

Sony is currently working on new lens technology by the name of Single Optical Pick-Up for the new BD format, so it can actually be read, which will ensure backward compatiblity with current CD and DVD media.

Videogaming is the contemporary interactive pasttime.

fathoms
  • Total Posts : 1060
RE: Sony to Use Blu-ray Disc For its NextGen Console - Sep 22, 2004 03:41
This will kick much ass...so long as backwards compatability is assured. With 40 PSOne games and what is destined to be around 50 PS2 titles, I do NOT want to have to purchase another PS2 (or two) just so I can be assured of being able to play nearly 100 titles in my collection when I get a new system...

Kikizo Staff Writer

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: Sony to Use Blu-ray Disc For its NextGen Console - Sep 22, 2004 05:41
This news is quite old. Do not expect the PS3 to actually record onto discs, as that would be extremely cost prohibitive in a video game console. BUt then again, the PlayStation 2 sold in the beginning because it had a built in DVD player, not because there were any good games available for it (there weren' t for quite awhile). So maybe Sony will do the same thing and release launch games that are crap, but people will get it for the shoddy Blu-Ray player...... NAH. I don' t see it happening. Blu-Ray is way too proprietary to be a selling point.

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
RE: Sony to Use Blu-ray Disc For its NextGen Console - Sep 22, 2004 05:50
With Blu-Ray technology, Square' s Final Fantasy series will now be 700,000 hours long with CG cutscenes that go on for days! :D

fathoms
  • Total Posts : 1060
RE: Sony to Use Blu-ray Disc For its NextGen Console - Sep 22, 2004 16:53
I' m sorry, I must' ve missed the console that had as many worthwhile games at launch as PS2.

SSX
Madden 2001
TimeSplitters
Smugglers Run
Summoner
Unreal Tournament
Tekken Tag Tournament
Ridge Racer V
Kessen

I' m trying to think of this many games worth mentioning for any other console launch in history......hmmmmmmmm.............
Kikizo Staff Writer