IBM to sign with nintendo

Kite
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
IBM to sign with nintendo - Sep 09, 2004 15:24
Nintendo signs IBM for next-gen console

IBM has its finger in every next-generation home console pie: Sony, Microsoft and now Nintendo.

Sony earlier this year confirmed that IBM-developed product will make it into Sony' s Playstation 3, when it said that the ' Cell' processor being co-developed by the two firms, along with Toshiba, will be used as the basis for the next Playstation.
Click to Visit
Click Here

This month Microsoft signed IBM to produce the chip that will be used to power Xbox 2.

And now we have Nintendo. IBM developed the chip for the GameCube, a PowerPC 400 series based processor codenamed ' Gekko' , so it was always a logical choice for future Nintendo consoles.

But speaking last week at the unveiling of a TV-sized supercomputer based on 1000 specially designed PowerPC chips, IBM vice president of technology and strategy Irving Wladawsky-Berger said the platform will be the foundation for next-generation consoles from Nintendo and Sony, according to a throwaway line in a Reuters report at the weekend.

So there you have it: IBM will be involved in the development and/or production of processors for future consoles from all three of the major market players.

Of course, the possibility exists that Wladawsky-Berger inadvertently mentioned Nintendo when he should have referred to Microsoft, or that Reuters got it wrong.

Nintendo is working on future successors to the GameCube and the GameBoy Advance. It is expected to announce the former next May at the E3 show. Curiously, with GameCube development partners IBM and ATI now confirmed as Xbox 2 developers, speculation is mounting that the new Nintendo and Xbox 2 may be one and the same thing, with the two firms essentially offering two, individual products both derived from a common platform.

Indeed, ATI has already been named by Nintendo as its future graphics partner - despite being signed by Microsoft, nominally Nintendo' s rival. It' s hard to imagine to competitors being happy to share one key component supplier, let alone two, such is the risk that commercially sensitive information might be exposed to a rival. No, the only way they would happily allow this situation to exist is if they are working on the same console platform.

That the two might co-operate against Sony has been the subject of rumour for some time. It may even herald an attempt to create a licensable platform on which both companies build a high-margin software business while others commoditise the hardware. ®
well it might not osund like new stuff but this sure puts nintendo on a running start since the gamecube was released weeks after the sony playstation and xbox. And if XBOX and GameCube team up they might put PLayStation out!

DaRoosh65
  • Total Posts : 1968
RE: IBM to sign with nintendo - Sep 09, 2004 16:23
Hey! The Big ' I' to tha ' B' to tha ' M' gotta make its $$ too!

At least you know that whatever IBM contributes will be a quality product or service.
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 9/9/2004 4:23:45 PM >
Videogaming is the contemporary interactive pasttime.

Joe Redifer
  • Total Posts : 4481
  • Reward points : 43145
RE: IBM to sign with nintendo - Sep 09, 2004 17:43
Cool, so all new consoles will have what amounts to modified Mac processors!

Regret in 2010
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: IBM to sign with nintendo - Sep 10, 2004 02:31
i dont think theyre partnering up, especially w/ that comment gates made about buying ninendo.

i dont think either are going to happen

it could be just that IBM and ATI are doing different things for each system to produce different effects.

either way, it sounds like IBM has a kind of a monopoly going on. it might be their turn instead of M$' s for once

DaRoosh65
RE: IBM to sign with nintendo - Sep 10, 2004 02:42

it could be just that IBM and ATI are doing different things for each system to produce different effects.

Exactly...IBM is doing what it takes to get a piece of each console maker' s pie...

Now, that' s smart...' cause IBM has everything to gain, while having nothing to lose!!!

toxicavenger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: IBM to sign with nintendo - Sep 10, 2004 06:14
i have to say that nintendo would be better off sticking to microsoft. look what they did for bungie. (not that bungie was ever bad) but hopefully we will never see mario in a game about vacuming up dirt, but killing gumbas and eating mushrooms once again.

DaRoosh65
RE: IBM to sign with nintendo - Sep 10, 2004 11:35
toxicavenger, I believe that you are thinking of Luigi' s Mansion.

Luigi is Mario' s brother...and yes, I know that the purpoe of the game is to rescue Mario...but it is still mostly about Luigi finding Mario while using the vacuum.

I agree about returning to the original style of Mario games...hope the big ' N' pays attention...
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 9/10/2004 11:35:59 AM >

toxicavenger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: IBM to sign with nintendo - Sep 10, 2004 16:34
luigi' s mansion he was sucking up ghosts. i actually liked the demo of that game (at target) the game im talking about is super mario sunshine. thats a pretty fruity name for a game, but the point is (from gamespot)Game Guide
Mario' s got a dirty job to do. Help him clean up the streets of Island Delphino with our detailed game guide, which tells you how to get every last shine.

Regret in 2010
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: IBM to sign with nintendo - Sep 11, 2004 18:37
now how did the thread go from ibm to super mario sunshine?