Atomic Betty cartoon

Sharon
  • Total Posts : 960
  • Reward points : 0
Atomic Betty cartoon - Sep 02, 2004 15:22

New superhero cartoon shines light on Sask.

REGINA - Gotham City, Metropolis – and Moose Jaw?

Hailing from the fictional city of Moose Jaw Heights, Atomic Betty – a sweet, brainy schoolgirl who transforms into a space-travelling superhero – is Canada' s latest cartoon superhero. The new TV series debuts Sept. 6 on Canada' s Teletoon Network.

Though the Canadian creators – Vancouver' s Atomic Cartoons – considered setting the show in a major urban location like their hometown or Toronto, they ultimately decided that their extraordinary character needed a more exotic-sounding base of operations.

Betty may fight evil in faraway galaxies and battle monsters on distant planets " but when she comes to Earth, it' s got to be a place that kind of exudes similar excitement," executive producer Kevin Gillis told CBC News. " Moose Jaw had a great ring to it."

In 2001, a demo of the series made a big splash in Cannes, France, at MIPCOM, an international event where TV, video and film producers meet potential buyers.

Out of the more than 700 proposals screened at MIP Jr. – which showcases productions for children and youth markets – the three-minute Atomic Betty demo was the number 1 most-viewed North American property and the third-most-viewed entry in the entire program.

Atomic Betty, which combines a traditional cartoon look with more fast-paced Japanese anime-like qualities and action sequences, has since been sold to networks in 94 different countries, many of which have never heard of Moose Jaw, Sask.

" Actually, I have told a number of [foreign buyers] that there really is a place called Moose Jaw and that Moose Jaw Heights is a take-off on the town of Moose Jaw," Gillis said.

" They kind of, like, raise their eyebrows at me and say: ' Oh, sure Kevin.' "

Gillis has high hopes for the spunky, red-headed character: he envisions that one day, fans will be making the trek out to Moose Jaw for Atomic Betty conventions.

Atomic Betty will also air in the U.S., France, the U.K. and other countries this fall.

Atomic Cartoons Inc. put out some of my fav cartoons (Edd, Ed and Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Spiderman, etc.). I have no doubt Atomic Betty will be a hit too. Check out their website http://www.atomiccartoons.com/