Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 for or against ??
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
for or against ?? - Jan 26, 2006 08:14
that rpg attitude of not giving a personality to the hero and make him/her mute so you can easily relate to it is not good in my opinion, i love characters with their own personality, but can u guys imagine Link talking??? noooo probably that' s why nintendo want him to keep it shut. so i guess it depends but in general, characters with personality pelase...

ooh and am i the only here who usualy give the same name to nameless heroes ??

sometimes it depends on what type of games but i' ll say that in general, i name the hero " Gayan" , specialy in RPG' s (dragon quest 8 now), cool isn' t it ?? no ?? ok...

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: for or against ?? - Jan 26, 2006 08:55
I dunno. Hard to say. Adol from Ys has always been a mute except in Ys 3. Be he was wandering from Ys in that one.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: for or against ?? - Jan 26, 2006 16:28
I hate RPG' s that have already created a hero for me, i want to create how he/she looks, what skills they have. It just doesnt feel like an RPG, if i have a predefined character to play with. Only game where that worked out right in my eyes, is Planescape: Torment, but i dont think anyone in this forum ever played that game!
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: for or against ?? - Jan 26, 2006 23:45
I like both. Take Fable for instance. Silent hero (except for his emotes). Great game. Then there' s Final Fantasy X. The hero has QUITE the personality. Once again, great game. I think if the director of the game knows what he' s doing, either can lead to a pleasant experience.
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: for or against ?? - Jan 27, 2006 01:05
The best thing about speechless main characters(IMO) is that you can make up their own personality! You can imagine what they say- what the verbal equivalent to Mario' s " Uuuh huh!" in Paper Mario is! You KNOW how pissed off Link is when he makes those screams, because YOU' RE him! Can you imagine a life where Link could talk? Outrageous!

Still, I love games where your character can speak just as much. You know how determined they are to save the world/princess/whatever by the things they say. They don' t need someone else to put words in their mouths to be great(except the voice actors). They simply blurt out insults at their enemies, and you know what they want...
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: for or against ?? - Jan 27, 2006 05:56
Funnily I only realised my preference after playing GTA. Number 3 was ok but it was missing something. Vice City came along and as soon as Tony opened his mouth I knew what it was. I think you can tell a better story with a main character who talks.

In some titles it works to be mute, Legend of Zelda for example would be wrong if Link could talk and I agree other RPG' s with characters you can name and create the appearance of are cool. I just like hearing the main characters name spoken and him have something to say when the bad guys come along other than just " !!!" .

My favourite RPG main character is Ryodo from Grandia 2.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: for or against ?? - Jan 28, 2006 06:30
I' d play either recreationally, but i haven' t been able to get really into an rpg since i played Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, back when i was little.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: for or against ?? - Jan 28, 2006 06:43
In FF serie i always named the main character to my own name.
Silas

• Total Posts : 28
RE: for or against ?? - Feb 08, 2006 00:53

The best thing about speechless main characters(IMO) is that you can make up their own personality! You can imagine what they say- what the verbal equivalent to Mario' s " Uuuh huh!" in Paper Mario is! You KNOW how pissed off Link is when he makes those screams, because YOU' RE him! Can you imagine a life where Link could talk? Outrageous!
Hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it. We' ve had a hundred years of cinema and TV in which nobody has had the remotest difficulty empathising with the hero or heroine, even if they had a personality diametrically opposed to ones own.

Singling out the actual protagonist to be a silent character does more to jerk me out of the " reality" of the game than any other factor. Create the characteristics and skills all you want, but if there are only a few basic character models to begin with, where' s the problem in having them each have a distinctive voice?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll