Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Xbox 2 x3?
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
Xbox 2 x3? - Nov 11, 2004 18:02

A report at The Inquirer claims that Microsoft plans to release three versions of the Xbox successor. One would be a simple Xbox 2 with no hard drive, while a second version, called Xbox Next HD will include a hard drive as the name implies and some additional functionality that takes advantage of the massive storage. Finally, a third model called Xbox Next PC, which is a supped-up Xbox 2 that resembles Sony’s PSX, will more act like a hybrid of an Xbox and a PC.

The Inquirer goes on to claim that the Xbox Next PC is an entry-level PC that runs Windows and all standard PC software. It also includes a CD Burner, wireless keyboard, mouse, game controller and will work best when connected to a HDTV or PC monitor. This will be like an Xbox version of a Media Center PC. We guess that, if the story is true, this special Xbox will load both Xbox and PC games that have been developed using the XNA set of tools.

The report also claims that Xbox Next and Xbox Next HD will ship next fall, while the Xbox Next PC will ship a year later, just in time for the release of Sony’s PlayStation 3. This is also the same timeframe in which the successor of Windows XP, code-named Longhorn, will launch bringing with it the next generation of DirectX and other Windows technologies.

We still find all claims of this report hard to believe, not because of the source, just for the simple fact that three versions of a console (one without a hard drive) would be against what Microsoft has been evangelizing all these years. When taking into consideration that Xbox Next is supposedly using POWER processors, it appears that Microsoft is taking a completely different approach for the next generation. Time will tell, and if we are lucky, we may be less than two months away from knowing the truth.

We’ll have more on the Xbox successor as it develops.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Xbox 2 x3? - Nov 11, 2004 21:14
Ahhh. See, this I like, a bit of choice when it comes to a next gen games console. Personally I' m not after a hugely expensive all singing and dancing console to run my life. I just want something to play games! But at the same time I like my X-Box' s hard drive and can see how important something like that could be when it comes to the next generation. The X-Box Next HD option would be great and hopefully not cost the earth.

These plans may just be somebody' s dreams but they make sense. It' s better than being forced to pay for a games console which has every bell and whistle you can think of if you really aren' t going to use them.
Taleman

• Total Posts : 3
RE: Xbox 2 x3? - Nov 14, 2004 02:02
Sounds great, I hope all that is true
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Xbox 2 x3? - Nov 14, 2004 14:56
I' ll believe it when I see it!
Vincent Cook

• Total Posts : 152
RE: Xbox 2 x3? - Nov 15, 2004 05:34
If that is true I don' t know what I am to do...Shall I buy the ordinary Xbox next straight away....wait a bit longer for the Xbox next HD or wait another year or two for the Xbox next pc.. T...O...O... H......A......R.......D D......E......C...I....S.....I......O.....N B......R......A......I....N G....O...I.....N.....G T....O E......X......P.......L......O......D.......E (Splat, lol)
ElectronicsJunkie

• Total Posts : 62
RE: Xbox 2 x3? - Nov 15, 2004 06:31
if this is true, the biggest baddest of the three will no doubt run around 500 or more. And no one wants that. GO GAMECUBE AND PS2!! oh, and halo. go halo.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Xbox 2 x3? - Nov 15, 2004 16:07

I' ll believe it when I see it!

Ditto...

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages