Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What if Nintendo and Sega...
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
What if Nintendo and Sega... - Dec 01, 2006 00:24
...would' ve merged during the Saturn/N64/PS1 days in order to compete against the upcoming PS2 and the Xbox?
Don' t you think they would' ve easily crushed the competition (MS, Sony)?
I like playing with alternative stories so let' s imagine what could' ve happened.

Sega with titles like Shenmue, Sonic, Virtua Fighter, and all Sega arcade games together with Nintendo' s Mario, Zelda and Metroid.
Nintendo would' ve given us innovation, Sega would' ve given us online gameplay.
Nintendo would' ve given us quality, Sega would' ve given us attitude.
A NintendoSega would' ve completely crushed the PS2 and Xbox with ease.
And I wouldn' t have to question which console I' d have to buy.

Any fun/cool ideas about how the SegaNintendo console could' ve looked like, it' s name or some titles? Would they have become successful and could this have happened?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: What if Nintendo and Sega... - Dec 01, 2006 00:33
I' ve thought about it and i came to the conclusion that because such a merger (as long as it wasn' t a buyout) would mean that SEGA wouldn' t have been acquired by Sammy it would have been awesome.

Terry would say SEGA and Namco which also kinda makes sense as the core genre based would all be covered inhouse but both combinations would have still needed huge 3rd party support.

Microsoft wanted to buy Nintendo but i doubt it would have been successful and staff would have left in droves. There would have never been a DS! Instead there would have been a Gameboy II that ran Windows Mobile...

If you go even further and think about what the industry would have been like if Sony and Nintendo' s partnership had continued, the Nintendo Playstation, ...what state would we be in now?
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: What if Nintendo and Sega... - Dec 01, 2006 02:23
Shenmue would have been horrible on the Saturn and/or N64 hardware.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: What if Nintendo and Sega... - Dec 01, 2006 02:45

Terry would say SEGA and Namco which also kinda makes sense as the core genre based would all be covered inhouse but both combinations would have still needed huge 3rd party support.

Haha, you know me well!!

Hell yeah I was up for some Sega-Namco merger action. Those two companies are SO alike, given how they were really competitive with each other in arcades! SO it would have been really interesting to see the two come together to create games! I would have been in heaven!

Sega and Nintendo on the other hand are more like opposites which would have worked BEAUTIFULLY for such a pairing given that they could compensate in areas that each other was lacking in..
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: What if Nintendo and Sega... - Dec 01, 2006 03:09
Hindsight is 20/20.

This would' ve saved Sega for sure, and Nintendo couldn' t hurt getting Sega exclusives. it' d be enough of a draw for me to buy the console.
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: What if Nintendo and Sega... - Dec 01, 2006 04:35

Sega and Nintendo on the other hand are more like opposites which would have worked BEAUTIFULLY for such a pairing given that they could compensate in areas that each other was lacking in..

The MD / Snes days were far the best times for gaming.. SEGA and Nintendo Battled each other With Creative top class games.. Both really had the same amount of passion towrds the industry and it showed they really cared for their software.. Both basically was forever trying to out-do each other...

Then again, if NinSEGA was formed, it could of just as easily gone downhill...

Why??

They wouldnt have much in the way of seriouss competition to out-do.. They could of easily gotten Lazy..?!? maybe so..?!

Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: What if Nintendo and Sega... - Dec 01, 2006 05:32

Hell yeah I was up for some Sega-Namco merger action. Those two companies are SO alike, given how they were really competitive with each other in arcades!

From 1986 on through the ' 90s, Namco' s R&D philosophy seemed to be " let' s see what Sega does and then make a ripoff of it." The only time Namco beat Sega to the punch in that time period was when they released Rolling Thunder prior to Shinobi.

Still, even though I have my grudge against Namco, I too would much prefer them to be working with Sega than those cheap pachinko pimps, Sammy.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: What if Nintendo and Sega... - Dec 01, 2006 05:38

those cheap pachinko pimps, Sammy.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: What if Nintendo and Sega... - Dec 01, 2006 08:07

Nintendo Playstation

*shudders*

That would have been a console monopoly onto itself. With Nintendos First party titles and sonys Marketing prowess it would have been unstopable, even for microsoft. Resistance (not the game) would have been futile! Thank goodness that didn' t happen.

I would have prefered a Nintendo Sega merger, and there was wild speculation that this would happen. Oh well it was a nice thought.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll