Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What dreamcast games should i get?
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 36 of 36
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Dec 30, 2005 17:22
That' s some flawed logic you have there.
Just because the dreamcast had many arcade ports doesn' t discount the quality of the dreamcast library.
In fact i would go as far as to say for every " good" title on your beloved ps2, there was an equal or better counterpart of the dreamcast.

I think there are a few games you need to have.

The shenmue series
Skies of arcadia
I' m a personal fan of daytona
and virtua fighter 3 was considerably better then the meth infused 4 (imho)
Soul caliber has yet to be bested from namco, makes you wonder why they stopped making dreamcast titles.
REZ if you can track it down.
The capcom universe is always great.

The dreamcast bled of quality games, don' t be put off by a few stinkers.
I mean look at the ps2 library, it has it' s fair share of stinkers...maybe more.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Dec 30, 2005 17:49
Like I said before, I' m a huge arcade junkie. I love my arcade ports, but a console can' t survive on arcade ports alone. That' s been one of the complaints I' ve seen from many a Dreamcast fan. I might Love short games, but a lot of console gamers aren' t too fond of short games. Arcade games are designed to be short, quick gaming sessions, not long drawn out and complex adventures..

The Dreamcast library was nice but nothing compared to the STELLAR Sega Saturn library in my opinion. Now THAT console had an excellent balance of arcade conversions and console-specific games. I wouldn' t say the Dreamcast bled of quality games, more like sputtered .

In fact i would go as far as to say for every " good" title on your beloved ps2, there was an equal or better counterpart of the dreamcast.

While my Sega whorishness is well-known there is NO WAY in hell I could ever agree with such a statement. The PlayStation 2' s library is HUGE, the Dreamcast' s library is a mosquito by comparison so there' s definitely going to be a significantly larger amount of good games on the PlayStation 2. The PS2 also had WAY more third-party support which made for a more diversified selection of games.

Sure the PS2 has more stinkers as well but that' s to be expected given its mammoth library of games.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 31 Dec 05 16:32:29 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Dec 30, 2005 18:16
i agree with you Terry except for the saturn part
anyway mister iwantshenmue3
hate hate hate fanboys
damn it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhh

this is just rediculous

Soul caliber has yet to be bested from namco

soul calibur 2 and 3 are better , ou course they are

it' s sad how people would say anything just to distinguish themselves from the others; if most of people love ps2 then i will hate it and i' ll go for soemthing really different.... hmmm spectrum zx then

some honesty please some honesty

in the first year of ps2, dreamcast was better, ps2 has crap games everyone remmbers but then it starts shining and there is no way absolutly nooo way to say today that dreamcast is a better console to own than ps2 or xbox or gamecube for that matter
< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 31 Dec 05 2:19:25 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Dec 30, 2005 18:22
ps2 could play psx games,and people thought it would be a another success like a psx sooner or later,and the dvd' s where new at the time and could be played on the ps2.
No wonder it did so well...
sinsparker

• Total Posts : 3
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Dec 31, 2005 08:20

I may be a little late in this convrsation, but you should buy sword of the berserk: gutsu' s rage. great game.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Dec 31, 2005 14:31
Soul Calibur for DC is still the best game in the series. I am very disappointed with the sequels.
Some of the DC games had better graphics than some PS2 games. Take DoA2 for example. The PS2 version is really ugly but the DC version is smooooth. Maybe the PS2 version had better effects and more content but I really prefered the Dreamcast version.
Most of the greatest Dreamcast and Saturn titles were only released in Japan so unless you know of the releases over there, you don' t know much about the consoles libraries.
Something most seem to ignore is that the Dreamcast was released before the PS2 meaning less horse power. So it' s actually a really good console. And the fact that it was made by SEGA who had failed with the Saturn might have scared away some 3rd party companies. I think that with wider 3rd party support, the DC would have been a worthy enemy of the PS2.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Dec 31, 2005 17:05
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4964/ahum7ck.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5937/skie24dk.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5368/skiesofarcadia3ir.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5076/skies42ev.jpg

The game seems very promising so far,saved and quited at the pirate island.
>_< V
The emu is working fine 7/10,some glitches and control that is weird sometimes when running/steering the ship,but more then playable so i should not whine.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 1 Jan 06 1:08:35 >
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Dec 31, 2005 21:12
Dreamcast, how i love but cant help feel quite sad when i hear that name.. Infact its sitting right next to my xbox360 and in contrast looks ' cute' .. lol in ways it looks like DC is the successor in design ha!.. anyways...

All depends on what kind of games u want and the DC pretty much covers them all hers a few that wasnt mentioned:

Mars Matrix
Chaos Field
Border Down
F355

< Message edited by f3hunter -- 1 Jan 06 5:13:59 >
SaFt

• Total Posts : 38
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Jan 01, 2006 11:35
Actually, Sony didn`t pay Valve to Not Release Half-Life for the Dreamcast, they just decided to not finish it because SEGA informed that they were going to stop producing the Console, altough the game was about 90% Complete and a group of hackers or something like that decided to fix the remaining pieces of the game and release it for download over the internet.

Thats where Blueshift comes into picture, it was originally meant to be a bonus for the Dreamcast owners and would come with the Dc Half-Life Verision, but i think it would`ve come to the Pc sooner or later anyway.

Altough it is released and playable on the Dreamcast it`s much better controlls on the Pc and it`s too damn laggy on the Dc Btw, but it has the same quality of graphics as the Ps2 Version does.

Well, back to the topic.
Some of these games might have alredy been said above.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Jet Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi, Resident Evil: Codename Veronica, Shenmue 1 & 2, Soul Calibur (best in the Series), Dead Or Alive, Sega Rally, MDK 2, F335 Challange, Zombie Revenge, Power Stone 1 & 2, Grandia 2, Skies Of Arcadia.

Well the list goes on, Dreamcast is just the damn best Console in Gaming History.
< Message edited by SaFt -- 1 Jan 06 19:40:03 >
music_maniac1965

• Total Posts : 70
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Jan 01, 2006 17:59

ORIGINAL: whatabout_paul

Shenmue and Shenmue II, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Soul Calibre, Crazy Taxi, Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

nice that someone mentiones this jewel of a game. this game made me buy a dreamcast. i never wanted one, untill i got hooked to the arcade orginal. at home on the dreamcast, its even better controll wise.... i still love this game to bits....

also mentioned above, but much under apriciated is the ferarri 355 game. superb graphics, and extremely challenging gameplay make this a winner.

my opinion about soul callibur is that the first game on dreamcast still turns heads. ofcourse the sequalls look a bit better, and have more content. every fighting game sequel gets a few extra fighers, and new backgrounds. sometimes they tweak the fighting system, but still keep the feel of the orginal. so looking from this point of view, indeed the first soul callibur still kicks ass. but to say that it is better than the sequals, nope, i dont think so.

the design of the dreamcast still is the best exept the gamepads. i prefer the xbox 360 pad' s annytime (esp. the wireless one' s). but be honest, the 360 is BIG, and the power supply is just redicilously big ! i gues they did not wanted to bring out new power leads like they had to with the xbox.

by the way, if the topic starter read this: what games did you found allready for dreamcast ? i wonder how easilly they can be found...
< Message edited by music_maniac1965 -- 2 Jan 06 2:13:36 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Jan 01, 2006 19:51
I' m pretty sure Half-Life was finished. Magazines had finished copies of the game and had it reviewed. And I' ve played it. It is actually pretty smooth, it supports keyboard and mouse too so you can' t complain about the controls (although using a controller works pretty good too). You can play it with the VGA adapter as well. It has Blue Shift and regular Half-Life, with pretty much the same graphics as the Blue Shift version on PC. Of course PCs now days are much more powerful, but it plays about the same as on a high end PC back in the day. (which would be about a voodoo 3 and 350 mhz cpu and 64mb of memory).
It doesn' t have any multiplayer though, just the single player.
I' m pretty sure they would have released it unless they got paid money. Considering it was finished and there were advertisements for it all over in magazines.
I guess there really isn' t any point in playing it on DC today except for the fact that it is just cool to play games on DC.
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Jan 01, 2006 22:58
What type of games do you like ?
fighters?....or....
SaFt

RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Jan 02, 2006 15:35
Well well, thats the story i`ve heard about HL for the Dreamcast, and yes, there was Comercials in gaming magazines about the game too, i have one, but the strange thing is that even at that time, you couldnt find it in any stores.

And considering the situation of the Dreamcast i think ìt sounds more reliable that they stoped the production of it than that Sony gave Valve money to not release it, because the Dreamcast had alredy been announced dead so the Dc wouldn`t be any threat against Sonys Ps2, altough even today it`s not all that dead, it`s still getting new games (well mostly ported Naomi games)

Oh well, enough about that...
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Jan 03, 2006 10:26
In a store near my house there was a guy who was selling HL for DC (long ago of course) and he said it was released and all. I didn' t like HL1 so I didn' t buy the game but does this mean the guy lied? Did he like, steal it or something?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 3 Jan 06 18:27:28 >
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Jan 04, 2006 13:40
I have HL on Dreamcast.
SaFt

RE: What dreamcast games should i get? - Jan 04, 2006 13:40
I can´t say anything about it, like i said, thats just a story i`ve heard and i dont know if it`s true or not.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 36 of 36

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message