Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Warhawk diluted
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Warhawk diluted - Feb 23, 2007 00:14
Warhawk will be multi-player only. Unfortunately. It' ll feature air and ground combat on a similar scope to the Battlefield games. It' ll also be a PSN download only.

The game looked pretty good when it was first announced, and then a few months back i heard it had been canceled but didn' t buy into it, figuring that it' d simply been delayed. The truth appears to be a sad combination of the two. We will not be getting the game that we were shown/promised, but we will be getting what should be an awesome online multiplayer game.

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Warhawk diluted - Feb 23, 2007 00:47
I never considered that game to be a system seller, but it looked interesting. I guess it' s too bad they scraped single player but IMO it' s better to have a strong online component and no single player then to have a decent single player and a mediocre online experience. Maybe they' re having difficulties with the game or maybe they made the decision to make a better game (assuming they have my point of view). Probably a bit of both. I really don' t care though, I won' t get a PS3 before 2008 and I don' t buy games for the single player (with a few exceptions).

It' s probably not a big loss considering that the PS3 needs more online games than single player games. If you want a single player game pick up Oblivion if you haven' t already played it. It looks like the PS3 version will be cleaned up a bit over the 360 version. They fixed the distant texture problem outdoors and improved loading time as well as added the added content that 360 users had to pay for.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Warhawk diluted - Feb 23, 2007 02:13
Warhawk = suck
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Warhawk diluted - Feb 23, 2007 06:03
Hmmm. Interesting move, I' m personally just worried about the download time. It' s already ridiculous as it is, and that' s just for demos. Now imagine something 18-22 Gigs big. It' s gonna be friggin ridiculous.
Nitro

RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 04, 2007 00:22
Download only confirmed by IGN.

Long video and explanation of how game will work available HERE

The flying aspects look fantastic, ...the ground combat looks awful. The explanations as to why they have gone online-only are pathetic and the two guys from Incognito who talk you through it are fucking morons.

32 player online should be cool but i ain' t getting out of my aircraft whatsoever.

Video also features Juiced 2 which actually looks superb.
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 04, 2007 01:11
" Download only" ?

Are you SERIOUS!? It' s not like we can get Bittorrent on Flashget on consoles! What happens if the connection happens to cut? Would the customer have to pay again for the d/l because conveniently, no record is kept and d/l can' t be resumed?
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 04, 2007 01:44

Are you SERIOUS!? It' s not like we can get Bittorrent on Flashget on consoles! What happens if the connection happens to cut? Would the customer have to pay again for the d/l because conveniently, no record is kept and d/l can' t be resumed?

Um.. cant you resume or pause d/ls?
What about past experience? Did anyone happen to go through that in XBL?If yes what was the solution?
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 04, 2007 02:51

" Download only" ?

I have been using the PSN for a few months now so I will answer that.

If you get disconnected the DL will " cancel" , but when you go back to download, it will resume at the progress you made when you were disconnected. Same goes for if you " cancel" they download partway, you can go back and resume your progress.

To answer your other question, no, you would never be charged again. They keep the records of all of it and keep track of your account. In fact, when you purchase a game over the PSN, not only do you get to DL it on your Ps3, but you are given 5 download tickets total. So you can DL it to 5 different Ps3' s as long as you sign in to the PSN with your account on the other ps3' s(not hard at all, and you can do this, even while using your friends PS3 interface login). I personally think this is an awesome feature, as my brother and I can just share tickets for games on the PSN, and not only that, but this means you could have the game you payed for on 5 different HD' s, if you ever happened to have that many for your ps3.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 04, 2007 10:31

ORIGINAL: Byakko

" Download only" ?

Seriously worried about you now dude, have you not had a powercut and your torrents been cancelled or played on a 360 in past couple of years? Pretty standard stuff now, all pretty well organised!! Even if your ps3 / 360 blows up central servers - like steam on pc keep a record of all the games / dl' s you are entitled to etc..!

Even if we are not ready for it yet, 50% of retail is gearing up for digital distribution. Me personally I prefer a case and inlay for my best games, something about actually owning it, in the very same way that having an arcade machine with a jamma board in it feels more special than running mame on a desktop pc!]..

with regard to the game iteself, sometiems retail isnt the best format for a title - a bit like alien hominoid - it suits live down to the ground. I just hope that warhawk isnt pruned to death. What was that game that came with the first voodoo2 cards? Incomming? I remember all the press hype about it for about two years, and then it was cut and cut again... until it was just a pretty but standard shooting game. I think they should scrap the ground combat unless it is a battle tank vector based game with triangle trees, no textures, and only white noise for sfx...
< Message edited by musashi -- 4 Mar 07 2:35:24 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 04, 2007 15:13
I hate the idea of digital distribution with full retail games. Think about it, they' re forcing the consumer to buy larger HDD and expect us to buy games without the hard copy. All so they can save a few million dollars, bastards. If we have to download a game we should be given the legal option to burn it on a disc.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 4 Mar 07 7:14:31 >
Dagashi

RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 05, 2007 06:58

I hate the idea of digital distribution with full retail games. Think about it, they' re forcing the consumer to buy larger HDD and expect us to buy games without the hard copy. All so they can save a few million dollars, bastards. If we have to download a game we should be given the legal option to burn it on a disc.

For full fledged games I don' t like online distribution, unless its free. However, for games like Warhawk I won' t be too dissapointed. Also, if online distribution means cheaper prices(it damn well should), then I can live with it. Stuff on the HD does load faster though, which is nice.
Nitro

RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 07, 2007 16:40

Awesome!

Awesome!

Awesome!

...but then...

What the hell happened here?

You gotta be kidding me!

...and...

Oh my god no!

The ground combat is a baaaaaaaaaad idea. Everything about it looks awful. Only the air combat looks good, ...REALLY REALLY good, ...and i don' t know why they' ve decided to expand beyond it

M B

• Total Posts : 202
RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 07, 2007 17:34
I really like most of the current online distribution systems.

Downloading is way faster than going to the store for me. You don' t have to wait for shipping or stores that are sold out. The time it takes to download most games is actually faster than the time it takes to drive to the store and back.

The liscenses are all saved to your account so you don' t need to worry about losing them. I don' t like bringing extra game cases and disks around with me. They can get ruined or lost and it isn' t a problem when it is saved to your hard drive and can redownload it if needed.

For PC games I usually rip images to my hard drive so I don' t need to worry about the disk. It also increases performance. A hard disk is much faster than a DVD or CD.

My StarCraft CD doesn' t even work anymore, but I still had the CD key and just ripped my friends CD onto my computer. I wish I could have done that for Halo on xbox, luckily my friends have plenty of spare copies.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 08, 2007 02:39

What the hell happened here?

Turns out you have to use your PSP to continue playing on the ground.

That looks downright terrible. Why would somebody bother getting out of their ship in the first place? It' s not like there' s any huge advantage in being smaller slower & weaker is there?

I don' t like bringing extra game cases and disks around with me. They can get ruined or lost
So can your HDD. The only difference here is that if I drop my game into a toaster, I' m only losing one title. If I drop my HDD into a magnet factory, then every game, profile, song, video and setting I ever had on it is done... toast.... and if you' re like me, you don' t want to have to re-DL everything again, regardless of price. I have a few spare MB left on my 360' s HDD, that' s it. Thats 13 gigs of data I' d have to download. Not fun.

Downloading is way faster than going to the store for me. You don' t have to wait for shipping or stores that are sold out. The time it takes to download most games is actually faster than the time it takes to drive to the store and back.
Calling a store to check for availability, and making a 20 minute trip to Gamestop for a DVD based game doesn' t take longer than trying to download some 7GB of information. Even with a fiberoptic connection you' d still have a hard time beating less than an hour trip. Not to mention, you can buy 3 games at the same time in a store, and have them ready to play. You' d have to wait 3 times as long to DL.

I' m not saying digtal distribution is a bad thing, but it' s going to have to be seriously revamped if they expect me to use it for downloading stuff like this on a regular basis.
Dagashi

RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 08, 2007 02:51

Calling a store to check for availability, and making a 20 minute trip to Gamestop for a DVD based game doesn' t take longer than trying to download some 7GB of information. Even with a fiberoptic connection you' d still have a hard time beating less than an hour trip. Not to mention, you can buy 3 games at the same time in a store, and have them ready to play. You' d have to wait 3 times as long to DL.

I won' t deny that generally getting a title in a store is easier, faster, and takes now bandwidth.

However, nowadays in Calgary, its not as much the case. With the boom here right now, there is a help wanted sign everywhere, and I really mean everywhere. It not only takes 15min to stand in line and check out, but stuff doesn' t even get stocked. Add the fact that in demand titles are bought up quickly by a largely affluent populous and you get a shopping experience that is quite aggravating.
Bishonen

RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 08, 2007 04:38
...download only or not, can someone explain why warhawk is so great?

...all i see is teh suck...
Dagashi

RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 08, 2007 04:50

.download only or not, can someone explain why warhawk is so great?

...all i see is teh suck...

Explain please.

Also, tell me what current or future multiplayer flying game shows more promise.
Bishonen

RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 08, 2007 04:59
...sure, but only if you answer my question first....
Nitro

RE: Warhawk diluted - Mar 08, 2007 05:08

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

...sure, but only if you answer my question first....

Did you watch the HD aerial combat video' s?

32 player dogfights should be great. Right?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll