Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Video games and violence?
Despot

• Total Posts : 2
Video games and violence? - Aug 16, 2004 03:24
I would like to know other gamers opions on violence in video games and whether or not it should be banned.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 16, 2004 03:35
Umm wrong place to ask ;) LOL..

You think we' re gonna say YES it should be banned? ;)

No amount of violence should be removed from games, that' s my view on things. There' s absolutely no reason to. evar!
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 8/16/2004 3:36:29 AM >
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 16, 2004 03:39
I doubt you would find anyone who goes to a video game forum who thinks violence should be banned in games.

How about I go shoot someone with an M16 and blame the war coverage in Iraq that I saw on the news? Or maybe I could try taking down the box office for making it so cool to jump from a train roof onto the roof of a car, only to bust the driver side window out and turn the wheel into a ditch.

It makes me so sick to see that people actually blame a disc that goes into a machine with a controller for going and killing people. If you kill someone, you are a sick idiot-- no video game did that to you.
< Message edited by PS2Poodoo -- 8/16/2004 3:40:34 AM >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 16, 2004 04:22
I wish there would be MORE violence in games! In GTA: Vice City I can run people over, shoot a prostitute to get my money back, and kill innocent people who never did a thing to me. That' s not enough! Pac Man had more violence! If I can' t set piles of live babies on fire and launch the flaming babies into crowds of people in the next GTA, I' m suing somebody! If I can' t live out my violence in games, I' ll have to do it in real life!
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 8/16/2004 4:24:53 AM >
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 16, 2004 05:39

I wish there would be MORE violence in games! In GTA: Vice City I can run people over, shoot a prostitute to get my money back, and kill innocent people who never did a thing to me. That' s not enough! Pac Man had more violence! If I can' t set piles of live babies on fire and launch the flaming babies into crowds of people in the next GTA, I' m suing somebody! If I can' t live out my violence in games, I' ll have to do it in real life!

I know what you mean...GIVE US RAPING AND TORTURE!!!
Alley_Hater

• Total Posts : 340
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 16, 2004 06:49
wow...Joe is vicious...hahaha....yes, this is the wrong place to ask whether it should/not be banned...sorry to say that to a new forum user though...keep posting! we love your unusual questions!

violence is something that makes games fun. most fun out there in the videogame industry is violence. you ban violence and i' ll sell my xbox.
jabronibasher

• Total Posts : 119
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 16, 2004 10:11
We see violence everywhere in news, cartoons, films etc. Why not ban those? It seems like people are always taking out their anger on the games industry. ( i swear ive said this a couple times already...)

Ban voilence in games and im gonna go live in the hills. Hopefully ill meet a couple of you there
Zotty

• Total Posts : 41
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 16, 2004 10:55
In no way violence should be banned ever from cartoons, movies and games. But the people that cant handle violence and those that cant see any difference between fantasy and reality should be banned and forbidden to play games.

I enjoy violent games if it fits the game and adds something to the gameplay, for example GTA or any kind of shooter. But I dont feel the need to only play violent games, I like happy and colourfull ones to like pikmin.

RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 16, 2004 14:32

I enjoy violent games if it fits the game and adds something to the gameplay

I agree. If one was to ban video games for violent content then logically almost everything else should also be banned.
The one thing little kids do in their early developmental age is to sit and watch cartoons like bugs bunny which is probably one of the most violent shows on TV AND teachs the kids that you can pound someone with a bat and they will get up like nothing happened (teaches some that there are no death-like consequences)

This whole crusade to rid video game violence needs to stop.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 17, 2004 19:23
If treated as being fantasy, and not practiced in reality, videogame violence may actually be healthy.

The person can take out their frustrations in the virtual world(s), rather than having these frustrations build up within and eventually going on some kind of real rampage that will land them either dead or in prison.

I know that I have had some frustrating break-ups with girlfriends. I would go home to release that pent-up frustration by playing videogames - and actually, my performance (in most cases) was considerably better than my normal gameplay.

I would play until I couldn' t any more. By then, I was feeling much better and was able to handle life again (after getting some sleep, of course). Sometimes this would take a few days, but it was better than stewing for days only to growl at family and friends.

I will say one thing...if it weren' t for videogaming, my life could have very well ended up a whole lot different that it has. Videogame violence has been therapeutic for me...and maybe others as well.
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 17, 2004 23:31
Daroosh, that was some good stuff. I am with everyone else here, video games aren' t responsible for violence. There are other sources of influence nad there is such a thing as responsibility. You are held accountable for your actions, and if it is your child, you are responsible for what your child plays and watches. You don' t want your kid thinking that beating up prostitutes and running people over is entertainment, don' t let them play the game.

Myself, I don' t enjoy overtly violent games (ie GTA) but I would never tell people to stop playing them. And i certainly don' t think they are responsible for people' s actions.
vanswa garbutt

• Total Posts : 412
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 27, 2004 16:31
video games r not violent that rememeds me i gotta go hit some one with a bat.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 29, 2004 13:31
Putting it bluntly:

It' s not the videogames that are violent, it' s some of the people - who just happen to play videogames - that are violent!

Don' t blame the gun, blame the trigger man (or woman)...
kimo

• Total Posts : 13
RE: Video games and violence? - Aug 29, 2004 15:56
i hearn that in GTA SA theres alot of kids in the streets. We all know what that means. KILLING KIDS. The parents are gonna complain like theres no tommorow. Im not for killing kids and violence but i like realism.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll