Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Valve developing multiple titles for 360
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Valve developing multiple titles for 360 - Apr 27, 2006 19:20

Valve Software announced today the development of " future game releases" for the Xbox 360, suggesting there' s more than one game in the works for the video game and entertainment system from Microsoft

The developer announced that the upcoming titles will be powered by a customized version of Source, the technology that powered Valve’s Half-Life 2.

“The combination of Source and the 360 provides game designers the chance to create powerful entertainment experiences,” said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve.
“Whether developing a traditional FPS, RTS, RPG or delving into new genres, the Xbox 360 is a great platform for expanding Source and our game experiences.”

" The Valve 360 products are being designed to leverage the Xbox 360’s advanced graphics hardware and integration with Xbox Live online game service" the company stated in a press release.

So Half Life 2' s going to be on PS3 huh? Well, that' s nice for Sony i guesst wasn' t it on Xbox already?!

But what games could be in development for 360?! I would say that the only real possibilities are:

- Half-Life 2 + Aftermath (Ep1) + Counter Strike: Source

- Half-Life 3

- Day of Defeat 360

- Team Fortress 2

Interesting nonetheless i think. I can' t see it being Half Life 2 and Aftermath (Ep1) because that would make it a gimp port of a current gen game like Far Cry Instincts: Predator.

Team Fortress 2 would be very cool!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Valve developing multiple titles for 360 - Apr 27, 2006 19:31
Back before 360' s launch there were rumours of Valve doing a Bungie, and have halflife 3 head exclusively to the 360, i dont believe it to be so, but it will be on the 360, no doubt about that.

I think im going to play aftermath on the PC!
Nitro

RE: Valve developing multiple titles for 360 - Apr 27, 2006 19:40
Well it' s certainly possible given the popularity of 1st person games on Microsofts consoles.

If PS3 has symetrically placed analog sticks i' m going to be really pissed. Xbox and specifically 360' s analog sticks are perfect for console 1st person gaming, they' re placed just right.

The interesting thing is that 360 will be the only console to use DirectX 10 since it' s a Microsoft product and for developers like Valve who have worked for years with DirectX, the XNA development environment and DirectX 10 will allow them to really push the hardware and achieve fantastic results moreso than they would be able to with PS3.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Valve developing multiple titles for 360 - Apr 27, 2006 20:18
Majik,you never read when gabe was angry on how sony is fooling the avg gamer with false specc propaganda and thus treating them like idiots,and its a shame that he and dev are doing this cause it will only hurt them in the long run.

He also said if making games to a ps2/xbox today (2005 after e3 sometime) was 1 to a 10 its a 1 while ps3 will be 10/10 and 360 3/10.
Nitro

RE: Valve developing multiple titles for 360 - Apr 27, 2006 20:19
I don' t see what you' re saying. This isn' t rumour or speculation, it' s come from Valve.
QuezcatoL

RE: Valve developing multiple titles for 360 - Apr 27, 2006 20:24
Well gabe is very confusing,recently he wrote that hl2 never sold good on the xbox and he didn' ät knew if to keep on making console games,and now he is?

Argh :S

My head hurts.
Nitro

RE: Valve developing multiple titles for 360 - Apr 27, 2006 20:34
He was pissed at how poorely HL2 performed on Xbox but that was probably more to do with a bad port than anything else.

I know what you mean now about his comments regarding 360 and it' s install base but it would seem that he' s now changed his mind and decided to develop multiple titles for the platform.

Valve will have gotten their hands on XNA at GDC and will have had some time to see what they can do with it so my guess is that as has been foretold XNA opens up a whole new level of fidelity. With DirectX 10 they will be able to do awesome stuff with the console that only the most powerful PC' s can do. Sony won' t have that advantage.

I' m not saying that Valve prefer 360 to PS3, just simply pointing out that while PS3 is getting HL2 + Aftermath (Ep1), 360 seems to be getting more. Ofcourse, this could also stand for Sony too but if i were Microsoft i would have struck some MAJOR deals for games like Half Life 3 and Team Fortress 2.
QuezcatoL

RE: Valve developing multiple titles for 360 - Apr 27, 2006 20:37
Gabe is also a guy who worked with ATI in agreeing with making bundles for hl2+ati cards,ATI made the 3d card for 360...

O_o V

I always been an ATI fanboy,so im more then happy with it.

ps! im saying that GABE made a very anti sony statment after e3,so im very supriced that he want to work on a ps3 game...
However it might just be a port for ps3...while the real game is on 360.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 27 Apr 06 12:39:20 >
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Valve developing multiple titles for 360 - Apr 27, 2006 21:38
Thats good news but I think they might go for something absolutely new instead of hl or maybe both.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Valve developing multiple titles for 360 - Apr 27, 2006 21:57

So Half Life 2' s going to be on PS3 huh? Well, that' s nice for Sony i guesst wasn' t it on Xbox already?!

I' d love to play it again with some added features or just upgraded visuals.

but that was probably more to do with a bad port than anything else.

I think the HL2 port was awesome considering how good it looked - it did have some minor framerate issues , but I' d score it 9,4 anyway.

Doom 3 was the best PC port to Xbox.

I think that what valve will announce is:

definitely not halflife 3 (not now at least) - they' re going to make a few episodes of HL2 now.

Downloadable episodic content like aftermath, through live - Valve is a huge supporter of digital distribution.

I think original HL2 with upgraded visuals would be a nice start - and then downloadable episodes - like on the PC.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll