Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Trouble for nintendo?
steptechdotnet

• Total Posts : 91
Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 23, 2006 02:24
I don' t know if this was posted before, but if this takes off I don' t really see a need for the wii. I mean, it would be hard to get 3rd party Or first party support I suppose since it' s not standard, but it would make it pretty easy to bring games designed for the wii to other consoles.

here' s the link http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=147911
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 23, 2006 03:18
Yeah i think something similar was posted, but to be honest, no-one is buying a wii for it' s controller..... ...at least not primarily...

...they' re buying it because it' s a new nintendo machine, and they wanna play nintendo specific titles like Twighlight Princes and Mario Galaxy...

...this new wimote-alike won' t be more than a curious 3rd part oddity, methinks...

Edit....duh!, that' s " 3rd party oddity" ...

...gotta try ' n stay off the jagermiser when i post...
< Message edited by Bishonen -- 23 Oct 06 23:48:03 >
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 23, 2006 05:22
I think this is more of a long-term (five years) concern for Nintendo than in the lifecycle of the Wii. Precisely because of what you pointed out -- the Wii controller is standard. A third party controller like this can only establish a small niche market. It does sound cool that it can still track position and motion even when not pointed at the screen.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 23, 2006 08:04

I don' t know if this was posted before, but if this takes off I don' t really see a need for the wii.

A need for the wii is the games that are coming to it.
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 23, 2006 08:11
The games are what makes the system, I think the Controller just got people' s attention.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 23, 2006 16:58
Bishonen i freaking LOVE that avatar! Good choice dude.

As for Nintendo, ...they kick ass and while they' ll probably come third again they' ll certainly make more and take more marketshare than they did with Gamecube.

Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 23, 2006 17:45
After all that has happened and the hype and demand for Wii' s I can' t fathom them coming in third...I don' t know why, but 2nd or 1st is all I can imagine for Nintendo at this point.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 23, 2006 18:24

ORIGINAL: Alecrein

After all that has happened and the hype and demand for Wii' s I can' t fathom them coming in third...I don' t know why, but 2nd or 1st is all I can imagine for Nintendo at this point.

To be brutally honest i don' t think we are ready yet. DS has conquered Japan but the industry there has changed drastically and the west isn' t going down that road.

Wii will be insanely successful in Japan and it' ll be far more popular elsewhere than Gamecube was but PS3 will be no.1 and 360 will be no.2 (but it' ll be close).
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 23, 2006 18:39
I didn' t check the link cause my internet is so painfully slow at the moment however i have a feeling its an article that talks about another motion sensing device that rivals the Wiimote.

There are several problems with this device -

(from what i read in joystiqs website) It uses some sort of sonar/acoustic type sensors to detect the exact position of the various controllers. I don' t know how sound affects the device. From memory it also uses more than one ' surround' sensors that allows the more accurate 3D motion detection

Its not a standard device, so no developers will be programing the games for the device - not for the current crop of next gen consoles anyway. If and when the device becomes a standard the Wii will have HD comparable to compete with the nest 360 and playstation, plus a more accurate 3D motion sensing.

The wiimote can do almost everything that this device(s?) can do with just the one device. Though apparently more accurate I don' t know if this device can act like a pointing device (although its not unrealistic to believe it is possible). I have no doubt Nintendo will perfect the Wiimote for its inclusion in the next Wii console.

Is there rumble built in? What about an internal speaker?

It nice to see more 3D motion sensing, if anything it proves that Nintendos vision for game control is starting to get some serious attention. In other words Nintedo is on the right track!!

O yee of little faith Majik!?!?! Still think that Nintendo will end up third with Wii - What was your though when you first saw the DS vs the PSP? Did you (like Me) believe that the psp would trounce the underpowered DS only to be pleasantly surprised that the DS is the one doing the trouncing.

Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 24, 2006 03:13
Killer avatar Bishonen! Blows your old one out of the water.

Yeah i think something similar was posted, but to be honest, no-one is buying a wii for it' s controller..... ...at least not primarily...
I am, but I' m just a freak that way.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Trouble for nintendo? - Oct 24, 2006 08:05

Bishonen i freaking LOVE that avatar! Good choice dude.

Killer avatar Bishonen! Blows your old one out of the water.

...thanks man..

...actually, most of the credit goes to IGN for having a half decent laser-sight/visor screenshot...

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll