Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Those niche games that are always wrongly overlooked?
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
Those niche games that are always wrongly overlooked? - Apr 10, 2004 05:56
Well, here are a few...and you all need to ask yourselves, " what' s wrong with me for missing these?!"

Gitaroo-Man

Most have heard of the other titles in this genre; DDR, Frequency, Amplitude, Parappa, etc., but this is the one that seems to get overlooked...which is unfortunate, because it' s one of the best. Gitaroo-Man is an off-the-wall rhythm game that is unbelievably unique and oddly addictive. It also provides the single most intense challenge of this generation on Master difficulty. Throughout, you will find yourself progressing through levels of capability you never thought existed, and the dexterity in your fingers will increase ten-fold. You think it' s impossible one day, and a week later, you' ll wonder how you could ever have thought that. Once you get the hang of it, you' ll say, " WOW, this is COOL."

Shadow of Destiny

No blood, no guns, no gore, no nasty shuffling zombies, no half-clad women, just a story filled with surprisingly intelligent time-space continuum philosophy and a puzzle style of gameplay mixed with an adventure format...Shadow of Destiny was mostly lost amdist the shuffle of PS2 launch titles like SSX, Madden 2001, TTT, Summoner, and TimeSplitters. Nevertheless, Konami' s inspired title shines through in many ways. You must solve a mystery, and each chapter will begin with the main character' s death. You will then travel back and forth through time to alter history so as to avoid this tragedy, and at the same time, unravel a little more of the complex and twisting story. Talk about a breath of fresh air.

Deathrow

" I' m gonna rip your fu***** head off!" The first time you heard this, you may have been taken aback, but it was only the start of an intense futuristic sport that had the potential to completely absorb the player. Fast and smooth, Deathrow was a brutal competition that involved a floating disc, teams consisting of seriously nasty individuals, and the capability to fight hand-hand-hand while forcing that disc through your opponent' s goal. One of the best games of this generation, Deathrow was largely overlooked when it was released, but never should' ve been. You can have a serious blast with this one, single-player or with a friend.

Ikaruga

Perhaps one of the more prominent titles on this list, but a shockingly low number of gamers have actually played it. A classic top-down vertically-scrolling shooter, it' s so fast and intense, it' s borderline maniacal. One of the most difficult games on any next-gen console, this old-school style game presented a level of polish and sophistication that could never have been found a decade ago. This title only proves that games from yester-year with modern-day gaming technology can really be something amazing.

ICO

By now, this may not be as overlooked as it once was, but I' m mentioning it anyway. ICO had beautiful visuals, an intriguing story, and a great co-op puzzle foundation that featured a boy with nothing but a stick and a strange horned helment, and a mysterious girl that held the key to unlocking the mystery of the game. You will experience several tough battles throughout the game, but they' re clearly not the focus. Ingenious puzzles that are designed to halt your advancement are what truly makes this game. More people have given it a try by now, and it IS too short, but it' s also a nice little gem that should be experienced and enjoyed by just about anyone.

Okay, that' s just a few. But for the record, one could also add games like Magic Pengel, Harvest Moon, Culdcept, and Kya: Dark Lineage.
Preacher

• Total Posts : 70
RE: Those niche games that are always wrongly overlooked? - Apr 11, 2004 15:33
Nights Into Dreams

Possibly the finest game to ever surface on any 32 bit console, this wasn' t just overlooked - it was hideously misjudged by the gaming press. What makes me laugh about it is the massive u-turn the reviewers did when they' d actually persisted with the game. Nights was the first game to really make me question the validity of reviewers as an almighty authority.

Gun Valkyrie

After Nights, you' d think that the same mistake wouldn' t be repeated. Deary me...

Wholeheartedly agree with your appraisal of Ikaruga, but if I' m being honest, its niche qualities are largely due to the brain seizure - inducing difficulty level. As much as I love the game, I' ll always wish it were just a little bit easier.
CapnCrunch311

• Total Posts : 285
RE: Those niche games that are always wrongly overlooked? - Apr 11, 2004 16:50
Robot Alchemical Drive

This is the only mech game (that I know of) that actually looks and feels like your actually controlling a giant robot. The character that controls the mech isn' t actually inside of it... you control it from his/her view-point from the ground, it' s actually very cool.

I agree with all the games you guys said too.
konrad

• Total Posts : 431
RE: Those niche games that are always wrongly overlooked? - Apr 11, 2004 17:40
Ikaruga and Gun Valkyrie for sure.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Those niche games that are always wrongly overlooked? - Apr 11, 2004 19:34
The Jet Set Radio games also come to mind.

I think almost every shooter released this generation except for Silpheed the crap, err lost planet, come to mind as well.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll