Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on...
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 28
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 09:32
The Xbox360 demo for FEAR was in this months OXM. Here' s what I think about it thus far (I know nothing of the PC version I only know of what this demo played like):

-The atmosphere like Condemned was spot on and creepy
-The slow motion effect was awsome
-The plasma cannon thing was cool

Dislikes:
-You can' t walk or move slowly in this game and when you try you just hobble around like a fucking leprechaun or somthing. At least thats how it feels.

-The graphics were a mixed bag, but nowhere near as nice as Condemneds

-The physics were garbage and prone to glitches (example, I kicked a bucket into some water. The damn thing had an orgasm and flew all over the damn place...I pretended it was a ghost or somthing just to not hate it)

-The AI was dumb as fuck. Some dude tried hiding behind a small box whilst facing a wall allowing me to come right around andbehind him thinkg for a second and then shoot him. Which brings up to the next complaint...

-It' s hard as fuck to aim and the reticle is just stupid looking. Plus the enviromental damage done is similar to Black' s but done in a very half-assed way. Shot a few pistol rounds and suddenly the place was a scene from The Matrix (not meant in a good way either) Dust was everywhere and bullet impacts/damage were badly designed.

-The look of the game was piss poor and only while in slomo did it look like the o so nice screen shots. The color palette for the outside areas looked like they were slapped together in MS paint or somthing. The contrast between light and dark was way to huge almost like litterally going from white to black.

Well I think there' s more complaints maybe a nice comment or 2 as well but Id have to play the demo again to see. And playing it again is somthing I dare not bother with at all. I hope this was just a fluke and the demo is nothing compared to what the final product will be.

Ahg maybe I will give it another go when Ive had sleep and when Im not in sucha stressed out mood.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 22 Aug 06 1:35:14 >
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 09:51
its an demo it may get better
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 14:36
But the A.I kick ass in the PC-FEAR,or atleast 9/10 times.
You can have an A.I that kick down chairs etc to cover himself when getting shooted at by you.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 15:12
Ya thats what I was expecting but this AI in the demo was dumb as fuck. Hopfully the AI wasnt lost while porting...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 16:52
I didn' t like the game on PC. I even thought the damage effects and AI were rubbish. The game has nice art direction and a nice sense of atmosphere, but i was never really impressed by it at all.

Visually the 360 version looks nicer than the PC version but then the PC version was nothing special when it was released so that' s hardly a surprise. You' re definately right in saying that Black did the whole damage and environment destruction thing far better than FEAR did.

As for the physics, ...they weren' t impressive on PC when compared to HL2 so it sounds like they haven' t done anything to improve them.

It' s just another PC port and both console versions are highly likely to suck. It' s a shame because Condemned was AWESOME and FEAR could have been too.
QuezcatoL

RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 17:32
Majik the developers -monlith recommend 1024' 768 at max for the best pc hardware.
And you couldnt get higher reso without mixing with the console/configs.

So if the 360 play at max with 1280' 720 in widescreen,then the 360 version will be the best looking.

Also i dont think the A.I was downgraded,however some places and some times the A.I can fuck up.
They can sometimes dive right into you,when trying to dive into some room.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 17:59
shit..I was so excited about it...

Quez - it' s better looking than the PC version - we know that (HDR + 720p and then some)

QuezcatoL

RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 18:05
Well the pc version of FEAR kicked ass.
However it is not for everyone... anyway FEAR is like matrix meets ringu.
That girl and what happendas around you and the ending,well i don' t wanna spoil,but play for yourself then suckers!!!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 18:15
I agree with Quez, if you like shooters, youll most likely like F.E.A.R
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 18:20
Most of what you mention m8 exists to some extent as an issue on the PC version. It is dating a bit now - I played it through on my work machine after working late a few eves last week. It is still a LOT of fun at times. So I still think it should shape up in the end to be a solid title...

I did realise on a second play that the AI istnt that great on the PC version either. It is mainly nicle little set pieces of animation which are triggered at certain points. Or even worse, static paths with some deceptive audio played over the top to confuse the player - Still it is pretty effective for a time.

The bullet time-esque effect actaully stands up better than the effects from the original matrix! It' s insanely fun to jump smack into the middle of a room of 20 troops and anihilate them!

The audio also tries to trick you saying things like " Flank him" when really they sit still or get stuck behind walls. It was definitley a step forward for FPS, but alot of what made it so classy was running it at absurldly high resoultions, a port is never as good as the original (well rarely it is) but sometimes you can loose the soul of a game - just look at pacman on XBLA - I dunno, I think it will be farcry all over again but for the 360 & PS3 this time.

Heck, Farcrys little level design detour was more playable that the online mutiplayer itself! As for the pallette they outside environs on Fear were not as well detailed or textured as the interiors.

Still it is a great game for a run around and anihilate everything scare fest!

As mikayd said tho it is a work in progress, but I wouldnt expect many improvements over the original. As Maj stated games like HL2 blew it out of the water anyways, so our standards and expectations have risen!

In comming to new gen consoles we expect much, but any title a couple years old will run the risk of tasting like re-heated chinese takaway from the night before...
< Message edited by musashi -- 22 Aug 06 10:24:45 >
Nitro

RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 18:32
Far Cry will be patched sometime in the next couple of weeks to address the aiming issues.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 23:27

In comming to new gen consoles we expect much, but any title a couple years old will run the risk of tasting like re-heated chinese takaway from the night before...

...extremely well put.... ..that is exactly the problem...

...i think that MS really need to stop churning out this sort of crap for their consoles... ...it' s the reason why they were so disappointing last gen...

...what they should be doing is encouraging more developers to produce shooters SPECIFICALLY for 360, like what they are doing with the Halo franchise.... ....PS3' s Resistance is also likely to be a example of how console shooters should be done.... ie. NOT A THREE YEAR OLD PC PORT.[:' (][:' (][:' (]..

...i' m now at the point now were i' ll pretty much automatically disregard ANY port from a PC, shooter or not... ..although there can be exceptions of course (GRAW).....

-The AI was dumb as fuck.

...ok own up.. ...which dumb f*cks were saying the AI was better than Halo' s?...

...you deserve a beating for such blasphemy......
Nitro

RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 23:31

...i think that MS really need to stop churning out this sort of crap for their consoles... ...it' s the reason why they were so disappointing last gen...

It isn' t being developed by Microsoft so you should be directing this to Monolith who are simply trying to get the most use out of the engine they created for Condemned.

The title will also hit PS3, it' s hardly down to Sony or Microsoft what games get developed. I mean, they don' t have to agree to it but since it pads out the library they won' t object.

QuezcatoL

RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 22, 2006 23:34
One person doesnt like what he saw in a FEAR demo for the 360.

A) he might have hated the PC game also.
B) Its a demo,obs " demo" .
C) the A.I is programmed to try and think smart,sometimes it doesnt work.
Like in oblivion,one day you see guards protect you and stop bandits hunting deers in some borders,and sometimes you see a NPC trying to pickpock another NPC and a guard might catch it and stop him,sometimes when you get into fight the townspeoeple might help you,if you got good rep,and sometime syou see people hunting and living their own life very realistic.

And sometimes the A.I is behaving like a retarded,asking dumb questions and take retarded paths around the city.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 23, 2006 00:12

It isn' t being developed by Microsoft so you should be directing this to Monolith who are simply trying to get the most use out of the engine they created for Condemned.

The title will also hit PS3, it' s hardly down to Sony or Microsoft what games get developed. I mean, they don' t have to agree to it but since it pads out the library they won' t object.

...you know what i mean....

...and don' t Sony/Microsoft commission titles before they are made for their consoles?..... ...anyway the bottom line remains... ...ports suck ass...
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 23, 2006 00:23
It looks too condemned like for my liking and that game I finished, loved it but wouldn' t play it again. Although I was intrigued about how the little girl plays into the story...hope it' s just the engine it has in common.
Nitro

RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 23, 2006 00:32

...you know what i mean....

...and don' t Sony/Microsoft commission titles before they are made for their consoles?..... ...anyway the bottom line remains... ...ports suck ass...

I know, and yes they commission them, but like i said if it' s adds to the library then they won' t turn it down. My guess is this is being rushed for it' s holiday release. A complete remake would have been great but a fancy/upgraded port isn' t going to win me over, especially when the PC version cost me £30 and the 360 version will cost £50 (unless microsoft drop the price of new games).

Sucks.
QuezcatoL

RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 23, 2006 05:24
Guys you there?

here is some pictures from my game on the pc.

Oh and to compare my 1024x768 max settings. 2xAA
Against 360' s 1280x720 4xAA max settings.

This is the 360 version.

And this is from my pc version.

f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 23, 2006 05:31
what framerate does 360 fear run?
QuezcatoL

RE: The F.E.A.R. demo is trash/horrid/sh*t/ahg just read on... - Aug 23, 2006 05:32
IGN said it runned smooth,basically meaning steady 30+ fram-rate
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 28

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread