Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Tarentino not done with Martial Arts yet
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
Tarentino not done with Martial Arts yet - Nov 02, 2004 23:51
E! Online

Pulpmeister Quentin Tarantino loved killing Bill so much that he' s ready to make his next cinematic outing a full-blown martial arts flick.

In an interview with Britain' s Total Film magazine, the maverick filmmaker says he plans to shoot a kung fu saga--and, in homage to the great 1970s " chopsocky" movies that influenced him--Tarantino will forego English altogether.

" I enjoyed shooting all the Japanese stuff in Kill Bill so much that this whole film will be entirely in Mandarin," Tarantino said. " If you' re not up to watching it with subtitles, I really want to do a full-on dubbed version."

Tarantino says the dubbing will be purposely bad to ape the old martial-arts flicks.

Originally Tarantino was supposed to follow up Kill Bill with a World War II saga called Inglorious Bastards. But, as he tells Total Film, he had so much fun putting his vengeful Bride through such kung fu moves as the Five Point Palm exploding heart technique, he' s not quite ready to leave the genre behind.

" My next movie is gonna be another kung fu [film] that' s gonna blow your asses off," the ever-modest writer-director says. " Everyone still thinks I' m doing Inglorious Bastards next, but before I do I want to do something much smaller.

Bastards had been tentatively slated for a 2006 debut, but Tarantino' s script has reportedly grown into epic proportions, leading him to consider slicing it into two movies à la Kill Bill.

Tarantino says he' s taking a cue from Chinese auteur Zhang Yimou, who made two critically hailed martial arts films back to back, Hero and the forthcoming House of Flying Daggers.

" [Zhang] spent a year and a half learning to make that kind of martial-arts movie," Tarantino says. " So what does he want to do? Make another one. That shit just made sense to me."

Tarantino worked with a mostly Chinese cast and crew when he shot Kill Bill at China' s Beijing Film Studio. Combined with production costs in that country remaining extraordinarily low, Tarantino thinks he can do a fast and dirty shoot.

The title and plot of Tarantino' s fifth feature is still a mystery--as is whether he will go with an all-Asian cast or have Hollywood stars learn to speak Mandarin, much like Hong Kong action stars like Chow Yun-Fat, Jackie Chan and Jet Li learned English when they made movies in America.

Tarantino is currently working on a screenplay that will be adapted into Mandarin. If all goes according to Hoyle, cameras will start rolling early next year.
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Tarentino not done with Martial Arts yet - Nov 03, 2004 00:36
Awesome news...of course most news about Quentin Tarentino is good news these days.
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: Tarentino not done with Martial Arts yet - Nov 03, 2004 05:20
Wow that' s excellent! I am so happy. Can' t wait.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll